• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on A Thursday.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on A Thursday.

Well, they didn't give me the job of Crop Reporter. Ok, I wasn't wasting my time with the provincial BS.

So here it is the first week of April and the total precipitation we start counting April 1. is Zero.

Winter, we had snow good enough for sledding but no just barely.

South of Town and south of the valley the snow is gone and sloughs if they had any are all gone. Creeks didn't really run all way to the city.

Our creek ran for a few days and we still have sloughs I wish they would start to drop.

The dugout was expanded last fall by double the size and we had to pump water to it to fill this year as runoff wouldn't do it.

I find it funny how fathers never tell their sons or daughters about the drought years. It's hilarious. We have droughts in the west it has happened since the first plow was put into our soil.

We have had frosts that take a crop.

No all they tell their sons is keep going you are on the right path.

Land rent is still going up if you can find anything. I have two young sons and they would like to start but nope it won't happen this year, they will help with our operation. Buying I would buy but nothing is available either. Zero lands for sale. Even a guy with a bad cough isn't selling.

So we have a Carbon tax that is making everything go up in price plus a hungry money poor city folks that are paying 90 bucks a sheet of plywood and building everything from fences to decks to you name it.

Here is a fun fact just last weekend a Dr on our street puts his home up for sale. The asking price is $1,000,000.00 we watch on Sunday as car upon car of 20 to 35-year-olds with wife and family come to a private open house.

Let's see when you were 25 did you have a down payment for a million-dollar home just kicking around, Since it was a private open home I would think the clients would have to qualify for something.

Oh, yea farmers are doing oh so well.

Fun times in the city. Don't try to buy a cottage as those are even worse.

Everything is going up and up and up.

Equipment is insane and the salesman looks at you like here is the quote what do you think.

I go well I can live with the price of the new but why are you giving me 100 thousand plus less than your asking for the same equipment I am trading in. Mine has fewer hours and more options yet it's 100000 less. Other dealerships who arent part of the BBC value ours at the higher price. So they want max profit on the new giving you less than scrap price for yours and you should pay for there shiny new buildings. It's insane

Now on the Yukon I got the price I go to Carguru and know real close what mine is worth and we make a deal. Why can't Ag equipment be like that?

Most farmers are buying like there is no tomorrow so what the hell do i know.

Crops we will grow are real easy.

Canola, Barley Peas, and Wheat.

Some priced but mostly just Barley and Peas.

No one has started any fieldwork but if it warms up and the rain event doesn't materialize I think next week the harrows and stone pickers and odd drill will be out all way to the valley.

Speaking of the storms of April. Drews's forecast says to pray for rain it might help. We're off to Calgary today so well see what's coming will it make it or will it cool off and the wind will blow whatever comes down into the fence lines.

Canola has been moving higher as maybe the drought is starting to light a fire.

Don't think so since the only month really moving in May. I guess from their office it's business as usual.

Be safe have a great weekend and pray for rain.

We need April showers.

Fields yesterday

Comment

I think if we harrowed this black summerfallow (hailed) it would be gone with the wind
      Don’t wanna see that shit (black dirt) again

Comment

Seems like house flipping at 50-100 grand a year has to be the best paying gig out there. Wonder where they put their money when this thing comes to a head. If you want a place at the lake go to Cabella's and buy a tent. Then follow geese in fall I guess. Wearing mask because of fine dust in grass, plugged air filter in skidsteer running eco head yeasterday.

Comment

Might need a reversible fan this year with all the dust that will be in the air. I have a section a ****ed up last fall with pea straw it needs to be harrowed and burnt. New headers that you set to cut at 6 in all day did a great job just forgot what to do with the straw left behind. Know better for this fall.

Snow event Monday for some let's see what happens.

Like drew says we need moisture now because when the tap shuts off in July it will not be like last year with a gas tank still full, this year it's on E.

Comment

Maybe its a younger doctor buying that house.

Some day, the people putting up these $3M shacks in Regina will realized they put up an unsellable mansion....in Regina of all places.

$3M shack in regina or $3M shack in Florida? Shouldnt take you 2 seconds to answer that one.

Comment

No, he wasn't a Dr. My Dr didn't know him.

I think they all believe start at the top then work your way down instead of how we all did it start small and move up.

Sort of like the BTO farmers go big or go broke aproach.

Comment

Here is a fun fact just last weekend a Dr on our street puts his home up for sale. The asking price is $1,000,000.00 we watch on Sunday as car upon car of 20 to 35-year-olds with wife and family come to a private open house.

Let's see when you were 25 did you have a down payment for a million-dollar home just kicking around, Since it was a private open home I would think the clients would have to qualify for something.

When I was in Regina in the mid 90s earning $50000 plus , I couldn't get a loan for an $80000 home.

Comment

You need a trade value? Hold on we’ll send our province rep out. That takes 3 weeks to get my 500 hr unit appraised which just went thru the shop with flying colors, yet you have 4 other units houred up on the lot that are worth more than mine??? Takes another 3 weeks to get headquarters to get a quote together for the flunky at the local dealership. First quote is so out to lunch they knock $90k off before lunch. Oh wait its still $150k more than the red guys which btw have more options and only took 5 mins to get you that price. Pattison can fack off. You ruined our dealership.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                    [B]
                    When I was in Regina in the mid 90s earning $50000 plus , I couldn't get a loan for an $80000 home.
                    Back then I couldnt get a loan for a barebones $20k truck even with a job.

Now days people those ages are driving range rovers parked in front of $750k shacks and can qualify with a smile.

People who took a yr of govt assistance now getting 2nd homes? Used to be you got any govt supports akin to welfare or EI made you unlendable for a good long time.

I didt have any lending clout until I had land under my belt, then it changed.

Whatever this new experiment is, when it blows up, its going to be biblical.
                    Last edited by jazz; Apr 8, 2021, 08:00.

Comment

Hey Sask, aren't you going to do what our parents did to let the kids farm?

Comment

Yesterday while moving yearlings after vaccinating them the dust was more like August than April. Had to use coolers to keep the blackleg cool whereas lots of times it’s a heater to keep it from freezing. Nobody even got muddy which never happens.

Today is more like April here. Starting to clear off to the west so that’s probably it. The grass and I definitely appreciate it.
                        Going to try and get some more fieldwork done ahead of calving which has never been done before here.

Definitely another interesting year. 🍀

Comment

Woodland...

I like your pictures...my mouth is watering.....deeeelicious looking beasts....

Thats the best compliment I can say.

Comment

With the exorbitant price of lumber and all other building supplies, what do you think it would cost to replace a 7500 square foot house in Wascana View? #1 - 2 or 3 lots at $165,000 a lot. Then say $300 a square foot construction cost = 330+ 2.15, kinda sounds like $2.5 M. Correctimondo ou bazerk?

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                              With the exorbitant price of lumber and all other building supplies, what do you think it would cost to replace a 7500 square foot house in Wascana View? #1 - 2 or 3 lots at $165,000 a lot. Then say $300 a square foot construction cost = 330+ 2.15, kinda sounds like $2.5 M. Correctimondo ou bazerk?
                              Except lots are $250k now and $300 per sqft just gives you basic materials that wont impress your neighbors.

We spent $250 per sqft way back in 2008 for a custom build.

I see quite a few more a couple homes being built with plywood instead of OSB. Its a great choice for quality build but the cost diff has to be pretty big.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...