• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry conditions across the prairies. Oh are they finally taking note.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rose town must also be dry

Comment

this is the first year for me that its too dry to seed. 3-4" pure powder on top, a few guys tried already and 75 kph winds sent it in the ditch. no early seeding here this year need to wait for rain

Comment

Must ADAPT...more C02 Tax will NOT, repeat, repeat, for deaf dumb blind Climate Nazis, will NOT....make it rain! Unless 50 years from now, the "peer reviewed experts" got that nailed.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
          [ATTACH]7736[/ATTACH]
          As bad as that map looks, the reality is probably worse. The red areas are normally some of the most productive, the green is some of the least, or it is irrigation. The net result will be even less bushels than just taking the total area of red and green.

Comment

Just got rolling on this field today. Earliest start ever as far as everyone remembers here. Ironically it wasn’t seeded or even worked last year as it was too wet.

It’s come a long way since being cleared a little over a year ago. Shows us as brown/red on the colourful map and I’d say it’s accurate.

Glad I didn’t contract any new crop........... cow chow could be a hot commodity. Like $6 barley hasn’t kicked calf prices enough already........ $200 a ton hay will really suck the wind outta them.

Buckle up for the ride😎

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              As bad as that map looks, the reality is probably worse. The red areas are normally some of the most productive, the green is some of the least, or it is irrigation. The net result will be even less bushels than just taking the total area of red and green.
              Remember though, below normal in lots of the red zone is normal for the usual dry areas. For example, our area would be below normal if we were under 20 inches of precipitation for the YEAR. many areas of the open prairie only get 12 or 14 inches Toto yearly precipitation.

I know what you mean though, and I am not trying to be contrary. Lots of areas are real dry. I am in a dry area on the map, but I just walked the home quarter. Mud, mud, mud. Less than normal snow by nearly half, but it’s still muddy as heck.

It’s relative.

Comment

Half my dugouts empty now so I guess half the grassers stay close to yards ( wells ) . With low sub moisture I guess there won't be much grass anyway. As it stands now can't put corn on corn ground that ground is the worst. Maybe a guy should be buying wheat, not trying to give it away.

Comment

China is switching to using wheat for feed. It's cheap.

We need a good rain before seeding to warm up the ground and take the last frost out and get things growing. Today the main dugout we expanded last fall is full to the brim. Had to pump four sloughs to do it but it's full. This is our spray water pit. The spring has water in the creek at about the same level as last fall.

Now south of the valley it's a different story. Actually follow the highway to Yorkton and north. Anything on the south side or east is dry.

Might have to make a trip to Calgary so will be interesting to see what's going on all the way along.

Comment

I remember years like this back in the 80s seeding with a new Flexicoil air drill. No more discers and we thought we were cooking with Gas. Two years into the dry period you would seed one mile up and backcheck your seed row and it had dried down to the base where the seed was sitting. The wind blew every day and no clouds or rain. One day it was so windy you couldn't see across the street. SMF was blowing

Comment

Looking like that this year, cycle repeats, NOT a new permanent change.

Comment

Yes, it's a cycle that does repeat.

Study history of Canada.

This is nothing new.

Some years wet some dry some periods very dry some very wet.

Study history peoplekind.

Comment

Bought our first airseeder in 1995.Havent tilled any land since, follow a strict rotation and never bale or burn straw.Our soil profile gets better every year,we can grow more bushels on half the moisture we needed 25 yrs ago.Neigbour who protilled last spring had his land blow several times.Our land may not be the smoothest but in a year like this we should be ok until mid june.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                            Canola is starting to wake up and the storm for the 11 th is bs and now a change on the one coming on 18 th
                            Yup, we were forecast 4mm on the 17th, 2mm on the 18th and 20mm on the 19th,,,, all gone this morning, zippo, nadda, sunny and clear now.

PS, looks of wind forecast though,,, crack that soil and the seed will be sitting in dry dirt by the time you get back from the other end of the field alright.

Comment

Vertical tillage can be parked TILL it's WET again. Has it's place, but never when this dry. Fields are blowing already.

Comment

Wasn’t long ago you couldn’t give discs away.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...