• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CGC review

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGC review

I hope everyone gets involved in the Grain Act review. It will be a major issue if it isn't done right.

An interesting place to start is understanding how other countries are different or should I say the same. Here is a link on how the USA system works.

www.ams.usda.gov/publications/content/official-grain-inspection-weighing-system

I encourage everyone to get involved. Do you want CGC to be there In the Interest of Producers as it was initially designed or changes to be In the Interest of the Industry you sell into.

I suppose the attitude should be that we're all in the same industry.
    But I get what you're saying.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
      I suppose the attitude should be that we're all in the same industry.
      But I get what you're saying.
      Be nice to think that is the attitude but the feeling beyond the farm gate is that Farmers are only a supplier to the industry. No different than the steel industry is a supplier to the auto industry. Our forefathers saw this that is why the Grain Act and Commission was originally started. And also why Farmers owned grain companies were formed.

Comment

Kinda sad when nobody has anything to say.

Comment

Kinda sad when nobody has anything to say.
          Well on other SM sites and new media the WGEA are having their say and are going to make submissions as well as some producer groups that are sponsored by big industry players. Those are the ones that the ACT is designed to protect farmers from "In the Interest of Producers" now they are going to make the rules they are suppose to follow? Let the fox run the hen house or what? I wonder if farmers even know why the Grain Act and Grain Commission was ever started.

Comment

I am preparing a submission, i think is important because probably is unaware of what was here before and what we will be missing should they cave to the large grain companies.

Comment

Currently trying to learn more myself.
              The CGC as a regulator and not a service provider makes sense to me.
              Somewhat related, I support the WGEAs' call for port governance modernization.

Comment

Currently trying to learn more myself.
                The CGC as a regulator and not a service provider makes sense to me.
                Somewhat related, I support the WGEAs' call for port governance modernization.

Have no problem with CGC not being a service provider however who is going to monitor the 3rd party service providers? Where do they get they expert training and monitors their expertise and who makes sure they can't be swayed by the very people that are paying them? It happened in the livestock industry when inspection was starting to get turned over to self regulation it can and will happen in the grain industry too. We have already had issues that may or may not be traced back to lack of inspection. Ecoli in flour Mills and glass in bread and every trade issue has been blamed on quality. The door is open for accusations is all I'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
                  Have no problem with CGC not being a service provider however who is going to monitor the 3rd party service providers? Where do they get they expert training and monitors their expertise and who makes sure they can't be swayed by the very people that are paying them? It happened in the livestock industry when inspection was starting to get turned over to self regulation it can and will happen in the grain industry too. We have already had issues that may or may not be traced back to lack of inspection. Ecoli in flour Mills and glass in bread and every trade issue has been blamed on quality. The door is open for accusations is all I'm saying.
                  Grain grading is a joke but I bet you’ll defend that.

Comment

Should farmers pay CGC triple or more for them to do something that numerous other companies use can do?

How about bonding?

Is your job based on having the GGC antiquated grading system around? Or is that job over?

Comment

Originally posted by saskcanfarmer View Post
                      Grain grading is a joke but I bet you’ll defend that.
                      Grading or quality control? Every country in the world has quality control. Grades are rather redundant now but we still need trained people to be able to assess quality or even run the equipment that assessed it for us. Unless we think customers are going to buy damaged and diseased product the same as they will be there quality.

Comment

Grading or quality control? Every country in the world has quality control. Grades are rather redundant now but we still need trained people to be able to assess quality or even run the equipment that assessed it for us. Unless we think customers are going to buy damaged and diseased product the same as they will be there quality.
                        Technology/AI can virtually eliminate any and all human contact with the sample.

Comment

Should farmers pay CGC triple or more for them to do something that numerous other companies use can do?

How about bonding?

Is your job based on having the GGC antiquated grading system around? Or is that job over?
                          How does your biggest competition (USA) handle quality control? Not a whole lot different only thing they don't have grades they still have visual inspection but they also have universal training.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/publications/content/official-grain-inspection-weighing-system

And no I have no dog in the fight but I do know the value of our quality control system.

Comment

How does your biggest competition (USA) handle quality control? Not a whole lot different only thing they don't have grades they still have visual inspection but they also have universal training.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/publications/content/official-grain-inspection-weighing-system

And no I have no dog in the fight but I do know the value of our quality control system.
                            So you no longer have anything to do with grain grading training or whatever it was you were doing?

Comment

So you no longer have anything to do with grain grading training or whatever it was you were doing?
                              Not since covid and no I'm not looking for a job.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.