• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calving time

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calving time

Had this calf this morning, had noticed the cow getting close so had put her in and weather was pleasant so all around good deal, just not supposed to start calving till the last half of March. Do recall having a bit of a pen mix up at calving time but the point of the story is I looked her up and she calved on March 20th last year, which by the calendar would have her bred back 13 days later, give or take. I know mares breed well on there foal heat soon after foaling but this is surprisingly quick for a cow.

Just wish they would breed back like that when you are trying to back them up.

Usually there is a sub-fertile heat around 30 days post-calving. To move a cow ahead 70 days without hormone intervention is pretty cool. Maybe keep the bulls a little further away from the calving pasture?

Comment

Originally posted by CommonCents View Post
      Usually there is a sub-fertile heat around 30 days post-calving. To move a cow ahead 70 days without hormone intervention is pretty cool. Maybe keep the bulls a little further away from the calving pasture?
      Ya I'm amazed too. We had some nasty weather for calving last year and had everyone penned up a little too tight. Hoping to be able to move the bulls to another yard for spring if I can get my ducks in a row. What my management skills lack, makes for more interesting days on the farm!

Comment

At least it's easier to push her back to get in line with the rest of the herd than try and bring her forward (When you want it to happen it doesn't nearly so easily!)

Comment

By the calendar should start calving this weekend but had 4 cows calve yesterday and today. 3 out of the 4 cows had twins. Did lose both of one set so not all rosy stories but pretty amazed to have 3 sets in a row, usually only get 2 or 3 sets in a season.

Comment

Twins come early. Be ready for a second flush at the second cycle. Also know of a guy who figured one calf in heifer/heifer sets would almost always twin as well. He had a system to figure out which one and could expand his herd in a hurry just because so many twinned!

I always want my nurse cows to have twins so I don’t have to buy so many fosters.... hasn’t happened yet 😂

Comment

While we’re dreaming............

I would like my calves to come out guaranteed to suck, tagged, vaccinated, and banded................ hasn’t happened yet either😉

Comment

Got the first 4 down now - all heifers.

Last year 2/3 of the crop was bull calves. It's gonna have to change quickly to even out since we have only a handful of cows.

I said to my wife, oh well, look at the money we're saving on bands...

Comment

Most years heifers to steers is close to even with steers a bit over. This season so far at 50% done probably 55% steers. Imagine by the end there’ll be 2/3 steers. Heifers come first around here. Who knows. I said that about twins but had first 2 sets of twins other day. In fact a late calving heifer a set. Anyone need an extra calf? She’s caring well for one at least but abandoned the other. If it was a cow I’d try to keep them together but a heifer is best to have just one.

Comment

My understanding is heifers have shorter gestation thus earlier and lighter.
                    Not unusual to see twins 2 weeks early.
                    One year when I had mostly Simi we had 7 sets of twins from the first 10 cows.
                    Never looked forward to having twins after that.
                    I think Oz has an epd for gestation in days for some AI bulls. Helps when selecting for calving ez.

Comment

I always thought it was a bit opposite of that. Heifers tend to be a bit smaller/lighter so they’re done cooking sooner.

Either way, same idea though.

I do need a calf actually, WiltonRanch, but I don’t think you’re conveniently close to me. Darn 😂

Comment

First one of the year here. Hauled the bred heifers home today and the cows will be walked home tomorrow. Always get one as reminder to get on with things and bring them home.
                        Very impressed with how the bred heifers turned out. Probably the nicest and mellowest bunch we’ve had.

Wind has been strong all day with three inches of wet snow tonight. Hopefully nobody else pops out till the sun returns late tomorrow. 🍀

Comment

Nice looking bunch. Front pasture worthy.
                          They don't look like they will be worried about getting fed.

Comment

They did really good on the corn grazing........... maybe a touch too good.😉

First calf out of the heifers arrived on his own yesterday and all was good except to break the wax on the teats. Hopefully the rest go smoothly too. Just getting them used to getting checked with the quad. Lack of sleep to kick in shortly. At least there’s no mud unlike the last quite a few years..........🍀

Comment

I always tried to get them as fat as possible with the feed resources I had but rarely apologized for getting them too fat.
                              Great to have that reserve on their back for when you need it.
                              To a cattle guy fat is the prettiest color?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.