• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AGMs coming up

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AGMs coming up

Anyone attending these virtually???..

If any resolutions come up with regards to a carbon credit or sales reporting ...take the time to support them and realize there is money lost by not having these implemented by now...

These would be marketing topics for farmers?

Carbon credits could be a revenue stream

Sales reporting , which is mandatory in the states , would be more info. Ever heard the saying "information is power????"
    Last edited by bucket; Jan 9, 2021, 09:36.

I registered the other day, you pick what meetings you want to be in. I got the password info yesterday. This is for direct participation. I am going to miss not being in Saskatoon in person next week, Brandon the week after, and Minot the last week in Jan.
    https://www.cropsphere.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jamesb View Post
      I registered the other day, you pick what meetings you want to be in. I got the password info yesterday. This is for direct participation. I am going to miss not being in Saskatoon in person next week, Brandon the week after, and Minot the last week in Jan.
      https://www.cropsphere.com/
      You enjoy spending days in meetings where the same people get up to talk and have been in the position of influencing politicians with nothing to show for it????

David Marit was at the back of the room when the carbon credit resolution passed unanimously ....he seen what farmers wanted....did SFA about it...

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
        You enjoy spending days in meetings where the same people get up to talk and have been in the position of influencing politicians with nothing to show for it????

David Marit was at the back of the room when the carbon credit resolution passed unanimously ....he seen what farmers wanted....did SFA about it...
        I spend one day at the meetings to see where they are spending my money, ask questions when I want. With crop sphere going on upstairs its a good place to sit down and visit with guys I see once a year. I like it better down town than in the Saskatoon inn because i can get to more than one annual meeting. Expressing your opinion in person to a board member is way better IMO than a email. The bottom line is these days is that in almost all cases if people are unhappy with how their levy is being used, they can take it back. SPG doesn't do this but I am expecting this to change if enough are un happy. For interest I looked up the levy refund rate on some of the other groups and it hasn't changed from previous years it seems. I will get the full story next week. For me the new seed levy really ticks me off and I want more response from the orgs on this. There is no damn way I want to pay twice for varieties.

Comment

Bucket you mentioned revenue streams.

Carbon Credits
          I would like the producer groups (best fit is Pulse growers)levy central to investigate, on behalf of there members, the negotiation, collection and payouts ( as part of member services) for the member growers who are in good standing.

Lots of pros and cons, yes, this way farmers maintain some level of control vs private companies.

Anyone thoughts?
          Last edited by Rareearth; Jan 9, 2021, 11:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
            Bucket you mentioned revenue streams.

Carbon Credits
            I would like the producer groups (best fit is Pulse growers)levy central to investigate, on behalf of there members, the negotiation, collection and payouts ( as part of member services) for the member growers who are in good standing.

Lots of pros and cons, yes, this way farmers maintain some level of control vs private companies.

Anyone thoughts?
            Can you re phrase that ...I am thinking of two different interpretations of what you wrote...clarity....

I am not following?????

Comment

The producer groups already have, maintain and collect revenues from levy central, the platform is there, the staffing, data bases, management, and finally the most important the growers and acres.

Hire a brilliant person that has know how and savvy both to leverage this massive asset to creat a revenue stream for the producer groups and most importantly the farmers. This tough work and data is in place.

Private companies will fracture the collective power and influence of growers, some will fail, do a poor job, over charge and under deliver, rules - what rules monitoring and enforcement, etc

If a grower were to receive $40 acre per year, a fee (levy) for those who voluntarily sign up could be ( should be) % based and not acre based to motivate maximum revenue for organization and growers.
              5% = $2 acre administrative % and 95% grower = $38 acre

The producer groups future shouldn’t be just about research and communication, but leverage/negotiation/development of producer membership revenue streams. This would keep and bring growers together with mutual best interests and a loud voice with influence.

Comment

The producer groups already have, maintain and collect revenues from levy central, the platform is there, the staffing, data bases, management, and finally the most important the growers and acres.

Hire a brilliant person that has know how and savvy both to leverage this massive asset to creat a revenue stream for the producer groups and most importantly the farmers. This tough work and data is in place.

Private companies will fracture the collective power and influence of growers, some will fail, do a poor job, over charge and under deliver, rules - what rules monitoring and enforcement, etc

If a grower were to receive $40 acre per year, a fee (levy) for those who voluntarily sign up could be ( should be) % based and not acre based to motivate maximum revenue for organization and growers.
                5% = $2 acre administrative % and 95% grower = $38 acre

The producer groups future shouldn’t be just about research and communication, but leverage/negotiation/development of producer membership revenue streams. This would keep and bring growers together with mutual best interests and a loud voice with influence.

I think I get it...I will float this answer for the carbon credits....

Currently if I was to call SCIC and ask for my farms historical data as far as seeding and harvest yields ...its all recorded for as long as I have farmed....there is also a "management plus" program within SCIC that records your fertilizer and sprays....

The information infrastructure for the carbon credits is already in place....so...you have years of data that can be correlated to your farm's individual quarter as to the sequestering you have done ....you have the science behind how much is sequestered...and you have the governments price of pollution or carbon

area X rate of sequester X pollution price ==== drumroll====payment to farmers

All can be handled by SCIC in Saskatchewan....no need to go to a private company to do all this because the first stop will be to SCIC to get the historical data of the farm ..

Seeding intensity can be a factor but those are minor details that bureaucrats love to phuck things up with..

Hope that is insight to where I am thinking...letting the commissions take a fee to do this work....i would not be in favour of ....but they should be kicking on doors to get this done on behalf of farmers...

And certainly not through organizations like Nature Conservancy Canada as they are already tit sucking 100 million from government...they are a land aggregator ...not a conservation agency.

Comment

Crop insurance data, is yes a big part of carbon credits going forward.

I don’t want Govt to control carbon credit revenues for our farm!

I would much rather have our producer groups manage this, farmer control, direction, with best interests in mind for growers. Farmers have fewer and fewer electoral votes in the future to motivate and influence government and Agriculture policy. Current producer groups have the best opportunity to influence and LOBBY Govt for farmers best interests, not urban, or political.

Comment

Crop insurance data, is yes a big part of carbon credits going forward.

I don’t want Govt to control carbon credit revenues for our farm!

I would much rather have our producer groups manage this, farmer control, direction, with best interests in mind for growers. Farmers have fewer and fewer electoral votes in the future to motivate and influence government and Agriculture policy. Current producer groups have the best opportunity to influence and LOBBY Govt for farmers best interests, not urban, or political.
                    Good discussion , but will agree to to disagree...we will somehow have to find a compromise.

There were companies in the carbon payment space a few years back...

Farm groups , IMHO are not the avenue....too many for one ...disjointed for another and then the politics behind it...

I don't want to have to go to SCIC get my data then go over to a firm like what is being discussed on another thread to get a credit or payment....nor do I want to to be involved with NCC or DU who are also government funded....

The problem with letting the farm groups do it is one year its sask wheat,,,,then saskpulse,,,,then saskflax....but the reporting data comes from SCIC...

There is an option to form another organization but I don't see value there either...

In my opinion a formula that everyone understands should be used to have direct payment to farmers....there will be issues as to who gets the money...the landowner or the farmer....to my way of thinking its the farmer that is sequestering the carbon not the landowner....but everyone knows the landowner will want a piece of it....
                    Last edited by bucket; Jan 10, 2021, 10:59.

Comment

The base hit for farmers will be getting resolutions passed to get more attention on carbon credits considering the pollution price is moving to 170 per tonne...

We are on the same page rareearth...the discussion about the administering is above my pay grade....the home run will be getting money for helping the environment and will be the hardest part...

Because for some reason the economy and environment don't go together when talking about agriculture...

Comment

There better be a way for farmers to generate a positive cash flow vs out flow with the carbon credit system or agriculture will be doomed in Canada and not competitive with other farming regions around the world

Comment

Yesterday was a good day...

Sales reporting got the attention it has deserved after nearly 50 years ..or at least since August 01, 2012.

And another push on the carbon tax...

For those of you watching and voting, IMHO, farmers are making steps forward.

Saskfarmer always says follow the money....my senses think farmers have lost enough money on this last crop to take notice. From not knowing export sales and losing out on some sort of payment for their contribution to the environment...

After all, the economy and the environment go hand in hand...
                          Last edited by bucket; Jan 13, 2021, 06:47.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...