• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest Happenings

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
    Canada must be the exception to that. I think all alcohol drinking has gone up 😆

Your storage in elevators... it’s still hard to get my head around. They are large bins correct? What would the average size be you’d say? I’ve gotten the impression your grain is mixed with anyone else’s grain of similar use/quality. So there might be 10 farmers grain in that one bin.

Then if one of those 10 sells 200 tonne, 200 of the mixed grain is pulled out of the bin and sold.

If I’ve got the gist of it correct... then how often are quality issues a concern. Especially in certain crops - canola, malt, peas, etc - and especially after extended storage. Are the elevators doing anything to protect quality, like turning the bins, and monitoring it?
    People drinking more wine and spirits is the assumption.

Will get photos of my bulk handling facilities today.

Justchecked 17 segregations for 20/21

Comment

I may be wrong but.
      Australia had 82% commercial storage capacity decades ago.
      We had a very different system for various reasons. Climate, geography, and politics.
      A look at the third gen terminals being built here now illustrates the lack of need for much segregation.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
        Justchecked 17 segregations for 20/21
        So you have to fit within the specs of one of those 17 to be stored? Or how close to spec does the grain have to be?

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
          A look at the third gen terminals being built here now illustrates the lack of need for much segregation.
          You might be surprised how much segregating goes on.

Comment

9 grades of wheat protein test weight screening and we have dynamic binning which results in upgrades.

7 barley segs

2 canola

Beans 2

As harvest rolls new segregation can be made ifvthere are quality issues.

I have protiein tester mosture and testvweight screenings tester on farm so can work out what grade before it leaves the field.

Way way different than you guys have.

Stacked average of every elevator is released daily

Example H1 wheat is top notch the best 13% protien and above. H2 is 11.5 to 12.9% protien.

If a certain elevator is unindated with H1 and protien is running at say 14.2% proein average and you know you have H2 Say 12.8% well if possible you deliver to elevator 1 and get a upgrade meaning the 12.8 will blend with the 14.2 and not effectvthe overal H1 standard.

Not super complicated, just transparent for growers and buyers to knowcwhats in each elevator.

Another example elevator will notify that segregationsuch and such wont be taken today trains getting sales been made ship getting loaded. So you then know that elevator may be short of that grade.

Might seem complicated to you guys.

Someone mentioned weather yeah our storage is way different than yours.

I like to think most aussie growers work with traders end users exporters flour mills rather than view them as the “enemy”

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
              You might be surprised how much segregating goes on.
              Before it hits the train yes.
              On farm storage capacity still likely 40% of the crop.
              Local terminal has 2 1.5M bu piles.
              3 650k bins.
              And 6 40k bins.
              And that's it.
              Likely all HRS shipped as #2.
              All CPS would be.
              Blended for px spec
              min falling #s
              Just my speculation.

Comment

FYI my local

Click image for larger version

Name:	8F98B947-A28D-41D0-9EC6-342F562DDFE4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	770244

Name:	D8462C0A-A7B0-4974-9F40-D284DB5E68EB.jpg
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	770245

Name:	516B938F-3082-4794-A1EB-A695326F4B23.jpg
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	770246

Name:	387C4F24-384A-4328-BADC-1E06B2EF3DFD.jpg
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	770247

Name:	35A0D210-C19B-4E46-8DAB-33B1D394150C.jpg
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	770248

Comment

Last one.

The last pic is not my local but another about 100 kms seats of me again on rail and

Name:	IMG_0837.jpg
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	770251

Name:	2E8CBFD3-4149-48BA-ACB6-E5E256D4035C.jpg
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	770252

Name:	6DBD7F46-45E0-45A4-9D3C-9922B78AF468.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	770253

Name:	5C41E8EF-E0B2-42D4-9293-9832F9DCF16C.jpg
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	770254

Name:	7BB11436-4E2F-464C-BCC6-1B388162AAAB.jpg
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	770255
                  Last edited by malleefarmer; Oct 17, 2020, 23:13.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                    Shit , we are responsible for it even after they have it
                    No kidding, twice I got phone calls from Viterra a few days after deliveries of malt Barley saying, "hey your germ test came back too low, we are going to give you feed price for those loads."

Comment

Originally posted by ColevilleH2S View Post
                      No kidding, twice I got phone calls from Viterra a few days after deliveries of malt Barley saying, "hey your germ test came back too low, we are going to give you feed price for those loads."
                      No, you just got fúcked. Should have asked for those exact loads back......
                      Last edited by farmaholic; Oct 18, 2020, 08:42.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                        No, you just got fúcked. Should have asked for those exact loads back......
                        If it's comingled it ain't coming home. Besides, the contract usually provides for them to take it as feed at the lowest possible price

Comment

No, just ask them if they ran a recheck before they called it in. If they haven’t looked at it since harvest then it’s their own fault, their program is based on rechecks every few months/before it’s called in.

Shockingly they don’t seem to do many rechecks 🤔

Comment

Thats what i did
                            Said they couldnt
                            I said wait now , its seperated ?
                            No its in the malt train
                            They paid malt
                            But how about waiting two weeks to get paid for wheat while they see if they can discount you some more for FN etc ?

Comment

When they call for it to be delivered. It's theirs. For how many days before delivery is a passed recheck valid?

If they aren't willing to ensure it's good to go before it falls through the grates that's their problem.

Rechecks out of representative sample pails or probed samples at doors and roof access doors aren't valid in my mind.
                              That is only a small snap shot of a very large panoramic picture, especially massive bins.

So what? Turn it? You can't pay me enough for the risk and all the hoops and hurdles I'm expected to clear to successfully grow, store and have it accepted.

Can be good money in it though, but not worth the grief to me.

I remember producers who are passive easy targets having their samples rejected after delivery.

Co-mingled. Not really possible to keep cars and cars of everyone's barley seperate.

Joke!

Comment

Most will try and keep producers separate until checks on delivery come back. Once germ is confirmed they’ll blend. Depending where it’s going for a check, they can have results easily by the next day. It’s not a week long process. Why terminals that handle lots of malt don’t have the quicker option the Canada Malt elevators seem to have is beyond me. Would save the hassle.

Shouldn’t be much different than the new terminals installing falling number machines on site. If they’re going to buy based on it and not be able to segregate enough and risk messing up a bin, they need real time results. V needs to start upgrading their locations so they aren’t sending everything to Regina for checks. And even then it seems to be a half assed job.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...