• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasonal Canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
    .......so much for the premium on already priced Speciialty canola.
    yep , our $12.75 hi acid don't look so good now
    but the $14 two years ago sure was good

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      Kraut...

Here are few factors to consider.....

1. The derecho event affected 37 million of farmland
      2. Its been dry in the states...bad for soybean yields
      3. Canola is priced off soybeans and they are moving higher...
      4. There has been a hard frost on many acres of canola.
      5. the yields are not proving out on canola this year...
      6. Elevators are focusing on canola deliveries for the next couple of weeks in the southern prairies....
      7. Provincial crop report put canola at 35 BPA... lower than previous expectation of 41 BPA...thats a reduction of nearly 20 percent...

Positive or negative?????/
      our marketing adviser was still telling us 2 weeks ago to cash in on rally, as were others ,biggest crop ever ,
      how in the **** can all these experts be dead wrong ?????????????????????????????????????????????
      SCIC comes out every year to do big game damage on crops and always amaze me when they get yield f-kn near right on
      canola yield down 25 % here plus a massive hail strip of SFA
      we've been played again
      there is absolutely fu-k all for canola left in bins , this is gonna come back to haunt these fu-kers real soon
      we have zero regular canola , first time in life
      anyone that has it , put it under lock and key
      $15 is right around the corner
      Last edited by caseih; Sep 12, 2020, 23:31.

Comment

Farming 101 posted the best graph 1 month ago , and he was spot on 👍

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
          Farming 101 posted the best graph 1 month ago , and he was spot on 👍
          i should be paying him a subscription
          he has sure helped me

Comment

Swathing canola today. From the excess rain drown outs and wet conditions disease load, then the hot and dry finish gonna be severe yield drop on my farm. Will know in a couple weeks but I'm expecting half of normal yields. Looked way better from the road or edge of field. Glad I havent pre sold any.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
              i should be paying him a subscription
              he has sure helped me
              Canola was sold out back in May. A good chunk of last yrs crop was garbage.

It was when my savvy old dad slipped a load of garbage in to RP and got No. 1 for it, I knew the canola complex was running on fumes and hoping for a big new crop.

That disappeared around here after the first week or so in August after we got a week of 30+. I suspect it disappeared for the northern guys after that frost.

No bags in the canola fields this yr.

Comment

canola yields down 20-25 % here
                again , where is this monster crop on the prairies?
                apparently it needs water after all ?

Comment

canola yields down 20-25 % here
                  again , where is this monster crop on the prairies?
                  apparently it needs water after all ?
                  This is coming off so far at 6-7% moisture. I can store that without worry well into next spring.

We could have the trade by the balls if we wanted to.

Guys who usually bag it are hauling it home to bins, maybe thinking the same thing.

Comment

our marketing adviser was still telling us 2 weeks ago to cash in on rally, as were others ,biggest crop ever ,
                    how in the **** can all these experts be dead wrong ?????????????????????????????????????????????
                    SCIC comes out every year to do big game damage on crops and always amaze me when they get yield f-kn near right on
                    canola yield down 25 % here plus a massive hail strip of SFA
                    we've been played again
                    there is absolutely fu-k all for canola left in bins , this is gonna come back to haunt these fu-kers real soon
                    we have zero regular canola , first time in life
                    anyone that has it , put it under lock and key
                    $15 is right around the corner
                    And your marketing advisor got paid for the advice?

Zero skin in the game ...and probably listens to people like Townsend. ...

Ask him if there is a refund for bad calls that cost you money?

Seems to me they always remind you of the money they made you not what they lost you.....

I walk in my fields to clear my head....count heads or bolls or pods....advisors look at graphs and others commentary...

Farmers live the NDVI in real time. ...advisors study it a week later...

Just some perspective...

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                      I walk in my fields to clear my head....count heads or bolls or pods....advisors look at graphs and others commentary...

Farmers live the NDVI in real time. ...advisors study it a week later...

Just some perspective...
                      Actually, I think these guys are relying on satellite imagery and that is steering them wrong. They cant possibly get a good feel for the entire crop without hundreds of in field visits every few weeks and most cant afford to have a staff like that other than USDA.

I wouldnt pay for any service like that.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                        Actually, I think these guys are relying on satellite imagery and that is steering them wrong. They cant possibly get a good feel for the entire crop without hundreds of in field visits every few weeks and most cant afford to have a staff like that other than USDA.

Nope.... but there are farmers that offer up the info for free or worse yet pay for it through a fieldview or being direct linked with their equipment....

Now if someone was willing to pay me for information ...that would be different topic....although I doubt they could afford it...

Every week from May to september a weekly crop report comes out for free to the industry just to ram us a little harder.....last week they gave yield data....free....the industry won't even report publicly what they are doing and don't have to....its like pulling hens teeth to find out when the next train is coming and what they are buying after it...

Comment

Most experts guessing yields have about as much a clue about crop yields as the retired school teacher hail adjusters ...... nearly zero .
                          A good example of how very little they know about plant growth.......
                          After the big hail storm hit this area the damage was very evident on most crops . I could tell within two days what damage was going to be .
                          Later when the three wisemen from Coop hail came out and did their assessment based on their acute knowledge based on science lol , we had a discussion. That’s where they got taught a lesson about real life agronomy . They did not like it but I was not backing down . They left here not happy going across 20 1/4’s a second time .
                          They still came back a bit low , but I proved my point and signed off .
                          Point is when the combines got going , the yield data shows exactly what we seen as damage from day one . Yields drop off Nearly exactly as the plant damage showed within days of that hail. They felt they paid too much , well they were dead wrong , they were still 10% low on average so far .
                          Point is not everyone is an “expert” as they claim and as many have pointed out here , realities in the combine are proving that .
                          Yes some areas have very good yields , but that’s the same as every year. But there are many areas where as seen by on here that prove Mother Nature has taken a lot off the yields the past two months. But that gets pushed aside by experts and the focus remains on the pockets of good yields

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post

The crops in this part of the province looked PHEnominal all summer, after a slow start due to being very dry until mid-July. The first cut hay was off some because of it.

Soys were very tall, some up to my waist.

However, in mid August our soy agro guy started saying that guys who think they have a huge crop might be in for a surprise when they hit the fields at harvest - low pod set, some pods that set 2 beans instead of 3...

This is a chap that keeps tabs on hundreds of his customer's fields across a really big chunk of south-western Ontario for the company we sell IP beans to.

In general the emergence and population was the highest he had ever see - at the start of the growing season. Ours were around the 180M+ mark when fully emerged.

So next week will tell the tale as the early fields start to come off. Looks to be average, but not the bin buster that we thought we were looking at. Some fields will be exceptional, depending on who got that extra 1/2" when they needed it...

The corn, however, is absolutely astounding around here. Looks to easily be a record crop. There could be storage issues.

Comment

I remember seeing this article 6 weeks ago. That didnt age well. Or was it a marketing ploy to entice some pre booking. China mentioned.

Another frost in NC sask last night.

I never prebook. Thats a losing proposition imo. Could have prebooked lentils for 23 cent, they are 26c after harvest.

https://ca.reuters.com/article/idCAKCN2550JI 'Like gold': Canadian canola prices spike as shippers find back door to China
                              Last edited by jazz; Sep 13, 2020, 08:08.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                                Seems RSN21 butts it's head against $530/tonne. If it breaks that where is the next level of resistance?

Maybe my focus should be on support? But is there any reason for the current rally to reverse?
                                Support at 518.20 now. Expect to rise for a while yet, perhaps at a slower rate

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.