• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Going on two weeks and zero rain again. I always say a great crop can happen on as little as 4 inches if they are right after seeding, then in June and beginning of July at the flag, then one last one Regina exhibition week. Well, we are here and spotty showers are all that's around and heat oh the heat.

Note to Sask Ag and Food. Yes, the crown prince of Ag reporting has a very very nice crop. The SW and Westside is nice. Regina plains since they had an inch rain a week ago will finish strong. Melfort Tisdale same old guaranteed crop area.

Now areas that get hail its bang right to the ground and then feathered out from the storm. These spots are done like dinner. But on the other hand, flooded areas that are rain and well more rain have huge issues also. Whole fields flooded or little crop here or there.

ITs a Prov. average crop with min crop insurance being paid out and min Ag stab, Ok that one never pays so nothing new to see here.

Problems out in the field are peas grown to many times on the same field. You can spot it lots looking not as nice and it's becoming a big issue. I have one question for the guys on the west side what is wrong with the lentils with all the streak marks in the fields. Yellow all way up and back.

Winter wheat only seen a few fields and the few were either sprayed already or will be going down the next hot week. Rye is changing but min signed up for the super new variety.

Canola the experts are going to be surprised. Its short in dry areas and tall in wet but pod depth could be better. Heat the last few days and next week will also flatten the curve.

Lots and lots and lots of Durum, Lots. Lots and lots of Oats. Just saying.

So again its an average this week Province-wide but heat and missed the rain and poorer ground and sub moisture and over moisture will all take yield further down.

Ok for our area here it is.

Total rain this week zero. Showers close by but nothin major just a spit.

HRS is turning way to fast and you can tell the difference between the early seeded and later. Early is turning and bottom leaves are looking a little like later in August. Durum is also starting to push ahead. All HRS seem to be filling nice. Areas that got rain and areas that didn't you can really see now. Showers are the game this year and crops can change in less than a couple miles from good to poorer. 8/10.

Early peas are shutting down and starting to change. Later are still green and finishing up. Harvest desiccation probably will happen next week in some fields. Crops in our area are shorter but seem to have podded as good as ones I have seen in the wet areas. 8 Year rule is holding and guys should follow till something comes along. It is close do being available but the cost will be stupid.

Lentils most got a second spray to look very nice and could be best for guys that grew them in 2020. Not that many fields in our area this is due to us usually being very wet.

Oats is headed and filled in nicely, most fields are very clean and if they haven't had hail they are going to do fairly nice. The heat will take some weight.

Flax looks like it's loving the heat and filling nice. Fields did even out with the rain in early to mid-july. Done flowering and now it's filling.

Chickpeas or fabas are non-existant in our area.

Canola early fields have finally started to shut down on the wetter areas. Dryer have been done for a week to 10 days and yes that can be three miles apart. Later seeded is just in full bloom and needs to be pushed along. Hailed out experiment field of mine is flowering and looking not that bad time will tell, oh that won't be till November but time will tell. You can see yellow on flowers and blanks will be on the plant with this heat. Fungicide spraying this year proably wasn't needed. It's such a hit and miss app. Varieties will show strengths and weakness as we get to the end of this crop. Some new show promise some old need to be done. Overall an 8/10. Heat and zero rain to finish will have a negative effect.

Pastures are going backwards you can now see rain is needed or was needed a week ago.

Hay newly reseeded fields had a good first cut, second on fields wont happen. Newer grass looks good old fields are done and need help.

So overall its an average as of now, rain would be just what the DR. ordered to finish but likely won't come as once a pattern is started in spring it follows the same path all year. But probably once harvest hits well return to normal rainfall.

Long line ups at grain terminals, Our contracts for may for June July delivery will happen in August. Yea just like how that works for them. We now store till they need it.

Fall desiccation could have min results on some weeds if it stays dry as they are in hold pattern and will it be taken into the plant. If its hot lots will swath cereals and go hard in 10 days after.

Yes harvest is been pushed here faster than most want but maybe its time to bid 2020 goodbye.

One rain is all we needed for a super crop in our area and it just didn't happen.

Be safe and enjoy the dog days of summer. Today is going to be the hottest for most.

Flooded fields on crop your.

Nice durum

The great Sandhills

Hailed canola from the 13th

a
    Field today

Comment

Before

Last night

Winter wheat in SW sask

Comment

Yep let’s irrigate more in the SW and let the north flood

Comment

Comment

Where is the Trudeau report?

Comment

Our area sand ridge is basically burning and poor land is showing up. Gravel deposits are easy to find. Good land holding well. Areas with rain not bad at all.

Comment

Comment

Oh if i hear one more expert say Canola sales are still strong as ever even with the loss of china.

Reality is yes were still selling canola and its still going to china just now we have other countries who purchase it on paper take their cut and product is still headed for china.

REality is farmers are losing $2.00 a bushel and we have got zero help from the feds.

REality is Canola groups are pathetic and we need to get our funds back.

BOBOO is useless as a federal minister.

OH and today Skippy goes to work and has to actually answer some questions for over 3 hours by himself.

Good TV may be better than Hockey games.

Comment

Reality is seed costs are absolutely abusing. We all could live with $10 canola, but with $70 ac seed cost there’s no way this is possible.
                    Friend of mine works in an “unnamed” elevator told me last year he seen the what this location pays for its canola seed. Elevator buys from Bayer $300/bag ... customer pays $700.
                    Sorry folks it’s only going to get worse.
                    My back isn’t sore anymore from bending over.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
                      My back isn’t sore anymore from bending over.
                      Whats your rotation zee? Got to have something in that 3rd spot and that's canola for most around hear.

Flax is an option but nobody likes dealing with the straw.

Comment

Seed costs are insane and farmers our own organizations and gov let it happen. I would love to know the profit companies make on seed. It would make most farmers cry.

Skippy needs to be investigated and thrown in jail along with any liberal who took part in this game.

Toronto Montreal and maritimes are the problem they love getting a check for free. We pay they play.

Comment

Prairie Clean Energy has been advertising through radio interviews and meetings about buying flax bales to make something out of them...

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                            Whats your rotation zee? Got to have something in that 3rd spot and that's canola for most around hear.

Flax is an option but nobody likes dealing with the straw.
                            I’ve avoided canola for two years now.
                            Basically I’ve been growing pulses .. obviously, no chicks though, growing cereal on cereal.

This particular year we’ve had an abundance of rain so durum on durum and wheat on wheat looks not much different than cereal on pulse.
                            I like growing canola but we aren’t Melfort or Tisdale country ... take a 35 bu canola crop in our area there’s not much left for a return.
                            I personally feel safer taking my chance cereal on cereal with less seed cost than canola.
                            Fert isn’t the issue as both need a healthy supply.
                            My feeling at the end of the day I will net as much with cereal on cereal than I would canola. This is just my opinion. I also grow barley which is very good for the land.
                            I’m taking a more “back to the basics” of farming. Watching costs is the only way we will survive with the commodity prices we are given.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
                              I’ve avoided canola for two years now.

I’m taking a more “back to the basics” of farming. Watching costs is the only way we will survive with the commodity prices we are given.
                              I hear ya. We have had to increase our target yields in canola to 50bu to make it all pay and that includes a lot of risk and the right rainfall.

Cereal cereal pulse is an option here as well but stacking chemistries could be a concern down the road. Liberty gives a nice 3rd option as well.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...