• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caseih View Post
    Me too !
    Barley and peas are in really rough shape from that 2” we had a week ago ?
    We were dry , i thought ?
    Can see every wheel track in everyones peas and barley
    That non stop wind sure beat the shit outta everything
    Spraying last of RR canola second time this mornin
    Them off to the lake , tobin really dirty from alberta water , fishing poor
    Make your way over here case , I’ll take you out and we will get em 🎣👍

Comment

Me too !
      I’ve been trying to send moisture east and I guess that’s the only way it’ll go. The North Saskatchewan is high and looks like chocolate milk here.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
        I hear guys are selling cows cause bush pastures and meadows are flooded.
        That would suck. We got a couple quarters of swamp that we graze and these wet years it can be under water but then the hills make up for it if they get rain.

Mother Nature hasn’t been playing nice anywhere it seems............

Comment

Me too !
          Same here? Crop is struggling with water. Everywhere the tractor went is yellow. Did not take much rain to flood us.
          Everyone was telling me how dry it was including your brother but when l looked in my fields it was wet. I would take my soil probe out and pull a six inch sample and the water would almost drip out of the probe and then have the guy next door tell how desperate he was for rain and then telling an inch would not be enough! 🤷

Comment

I’ll use a picture of one of our Canola fields for my crop report. Ours is the one to right of the tree line.
            Last edited by Dr Tone; Jun 26, 2020, 09:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Tone View Post

I’ll use a picture of one of our Canola fields for my crop report. Ours is the one to right of the tree line.
              Well, the good news is that some poster recently stated that the high ground makes up for the flooded ground on a wet year, looks like you will have a bumper crop. Those high areas only have to make about 140 bushels to get an average 50 bushel crop.*

* denotes sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
                I love watching your operation.
                It ain’t much but we love what we do. When the kids are arguing over which one gets to come with me in the ‘88 winch truck to haul a tractor that’s older than me I guess they love it too.

I enjoy seeing what and how others do things as well. Kinda a way to escape from a very solitary and desolate place at times. The phone and this site is handy when you got a few minutes to kill such as loading trucks in the drizzle this morning.

Good luck everyone 🍀

Comment

Thanks for all The comments. Like I said before I’m new to bone dry but it’s easier to deal with than flood for years. One year ok but years you just give up.

As of today all fungicides and top off are sent back. Or not delivered.

10000 acres x 20 is $200,000.00

Or higher

When we were flooded you tried every thing to make a crop. With drought it’s easy go fishing.

If next weeks rain event is a bust I’m gone

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                    Same here? Crop is struggling with water. Everywhere the tractor went is yellow. Did not take much rain to flood us.
                    Everyone was telling me how dry it was including your brother but when l looked in my fields it was wet. I would take my soil probe out and pull a six inch sample and the water would almost drip out of the probe and then have the guy next door tell how desperate he was for rain and then telling an inch would not be enough! 🤷
                    We shouldnt of asked lol

Comment

Seeding a few patches to alfalfa from where a large pipeline went through a year ago and ran into a to rock patch. Picked five tractor buckets off five acres with my brother, wife and three kids. The littlest one was literally along for the ride. The conditions were perfect........ breezy to keep the mosquitoes away, not too muddy (being on a hilltop) or dusty, and overcast as usual.

They did a great job for being 6 and 7 years old.

And the alfalfa seeded a year ago looks pretty nice too. Hopefully the weather smartens up to cut and roll it up sooner than later.

Don’t mind the sow thistles............. they’re there to just add some colour 😎

Comment

Woodland

Just curious about the barb wire fencing, is it just extra wire wrapped that way, or has it got to do with pipelines. When we had cattle it was just 3 or 4 strands running horizontal?

Sure looks like a lot of barb wire between each post.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
                          Woodland

Just curious about the barb wire fencing, is it just extra wire wrapped that way, or has it got to do with pipelines. When we had cattle it was just 3 or 4 strands running horizontal?

Sure looks like a lot of barb wire between each post.
                          Good eye😎

It’s a four strand fence that we cut the wire and d****d it back a couple posts to get in otherwise we’d have to drive a half mile through the hay to get there. The pipeline outfit messed up the drainage and created a bunch of waterholes where none existed and are still flooding 80 acres of hay. This has been the most frustrating experience going on two years now. Hopefully this year they get it sorted out

Comment

The crops around here have got to be tough. Real tough, to withstand the wind, heat, flea beetles, cuteorms
                            And who knows what else. When we get the big rains this coming week, they won’t know what that is - rain.

The satellite shows the African dust coming from the west coast, never saw anything like that before. Reminds me of the dust when Mount St. Helen errupted in 1981: it changed the weather like flipping a switch. From blowing fields to glorious downpours. 🤞🏽
                            Last edited by sumdumguy; Jun 26, 2020, 23:59.

Comment

Oops 1980, Mount St Helen erupted.

Comment

Getting light rain here
                                Not lots but it was needed here as well
                                Going to test water quality at local lakes
                                Should be able to tell by the health of the fish 🎣

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...