• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun fact of the day ....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun fact of the day ....

Why you must at least double or Tripple inoculate even “treated” soybeans ...

We add the liquid inoculant to the G22 Alpine . Takes 100 yards or so for the inoculant to flow through the machine with the Alpine .... very telling .

That picture does tell 1000 words, but would like to see the pods.

Comment

Agreed Furrow. Very noticeable in fields with previous soybean crops. The more they are grown the better the nodulation. Big kicker is u still need that August rain to make yield.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmJunkie View Post
        Agreed Furrow. Very noticeable in fields with previous soybean crops. The more they are grown the better the nodulation. Big kicker is u still need that August rain to make yield.
        Yup and so far we have zero

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post

That picture does tell 1000 words, but would like to see the pods.
          Will do tomorrow

Comment

So what's your thinking furrow? that the pre-inoculant was defective or there just isn't enough of it?

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
              So what's your thinking furrow? that the pre-inoculant was defective or there just isn't enough of it?
              How dare you question the possible deficiency or quality of the pre-inoculated seed the SeedCos sell.

Like the amount of Lumiderm applied to canola seed....who really knows how much of anything has been applied?

Just pay, and let them blame every possible environmental factor imaginable when their products don't perform.

Comment

Our last year of growing soy we only were doing 40 or 80 acres put on a field that had soy quite a few times before. Seed arrived we got behind nothing was treated did ok. I think its a game.

Comment

I’ve got some red food colouring for sale - very effective. We always treated our own seed and back in the seventies, there were no protective masks, rubber gloves or ventilators. The old auger and jug with spout treatment did the job. ( Might need the cardboard box thing now to be environmentally endorsed).

Just a little aside this morn - Coca Cola is greening up their Dasani line of water with..... guess what - aluminum cans. Isn’t that special?

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                    It’s far more effective as fresh inoculant on bare seed seeded within 24 hrs , add seed treatment if needed .
                    Seen it three years in a row now
                    It’s just a much better approach IMO

Comment

Comment

Last time we seen this the yield on proper inoculant was low 30’s , the poor to near zero nodules were 10 bpa
                        This might help explain some of the poor yields in Sask the past several years
                        Pre inoculant seed may not be adequate at all and at least 2-3 x fresh inoculant is needed to give the soybeans even a chance

Comment

Soy has a lot of other problems in our area. If it gets that critical august rain, that means a November harvest. If it doesnt then its a write off.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                            Soy has a lot of other problems in our area. If it gets that critical august rain, that means a November harvest. If it doesnt then its a write off.
                            It’s the same every where , here as well .
                            But a properly inoculated soybean crop with a healthy big root system will handle dry periods much better as it can source much more soil moisture. Still need August rains for sure , and as of today we have had basically zero . But it will prolong at least a week to ten days over a poor inoculated bean crop before it needs rain .

Comment

Has anyone tried planting soybeans without Cruiser Maxx Beans in a side by-side trial with CMB? I no longer believe the lines used by the chem co's regarding "Vigor trigger" and full protection, etc. These seed treatments are designed to kill biology in the soil. They are fungi-CIDES (kill). The Bradyrhizobium japonicum strain of bacteria that gets applied to the beans are susceptible to getting killed, or at least quite thinned out by the application of the two simultaneously. I apply these for my clients and after what we saw with 96 replicated trials on our barley, I am planning in the future on only putting on an inoculant and possibly a compost tea biological product to enhance the inoculant efficacy.

What we found with our trials was quite disturbing. In every one of the 96 trials, there was a significant delay in emergence on the pink treated seed. The replicates treated with a biological only, or even BARE seed, were at least 7 to 9 cm ahead of the pink stuff. When, after 64 trials I called the Rep looking for answers, he was dumbfounded and couldn't offer anything that would explain what I was finding. Taking these out to field scale level, there was a 5 day delay with emergence on the pink compared to the seed treated with just a compost tea seed treatment. Again, why? The rep promised me to get some answers. I am still waiting. As a result of those 96 replicated trials and field scale trials this spring, we only treated one customer with the pink stuff. After hearing what our experiences were, every one of my clients elected to have the biological seed treatment applied. and to date, every one of them has been happy with the results.

I have grown and sold beans for 11 years, and never once gave it a second thought that what I was applying to the seed was wiping out a large portion of mine and my clients inoculants. This is why I am thinking that double inoculating works so well. In actual fact, we are only single inoculating the "double" as the seed treated inoc is drastically reduced in numbers (or wiped out) by the fungicide doing what it is supposed to. I just drank the Koolaid they were feeding us seed sellers and thanked them for the big cheque we received at the end of the year for peddling their product to our clients.

By the way, I did get out of the rep that they only do their own in-house trials on soil potting mix...yup...the stuff that has been steam sterilized to kill off ANY biology in the soil. That REALLY represents our farms in field scale conditions, doesn't it?

To wrap up, farmers need to start doing their own trials, on their own farms, under their management to prove out some of this stuff.

It is my contention that we as producers have been lulled into the position of having our operations being nothing more than a money laundering facility for multi-national corporations to move their raw product though us and and have us turn it into cash for the benefit of their shareholders.

Thoughts?

Patrick

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...