• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun fact of the day .....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Organic peas .....

No disrespect to Hobby or other who do a good job 👍

But this is the kind of train wreck that affects all fields within at least a 1/2 mile of this ....
    reap what you sow ... fact of the day
    Get off my land. You are trespassing.

Comment

Organic peas .....

No disrespect to Hobby or other who do a good job 👍

But this is the kind of train wreck that affects all fields within at least a 1/2 mile of this ....
      reap what you sow ... fact of the day
      A more serious answer.
      It looks loke not many peas in there. He/She still has the opportunity to plow it down.
      I can not say nor criticize what each individual organic farmer is doing because I don’t know and everybody has a different style.
      It does not effect a conventional farmer, they spray for weeds twice a year every year so that is a non issue. The only person that organic farmer is hurting is himself. In February I suggest you go make an offer to buy him out. Its that easy.
      I sold peas to the hollywood pea processor in Vanscoy (?). They use JGL commodities as a sourcing agent. My loads were 3 months late for pickup. I finally badgered those elusive bastards until they came for the grain. The trucks BOL destination was Moose Jaw.
      I did get paid in a timely manner but I am not fond of chasing buyers for 3 months past contract expiry to pickup the grain.
      This winter has proven to me that the organic market is getting lower priced and complacent.
      I have consistently recommended not to go organic. Pictures do not lie.

Comment

A plowdown would probably be a good idea but even this conventional farming fool, as is me, knows it would best be done before weeds set viable seeds.

I think organic farming requires as much attention to detail, if not more, than conventional Ag. Seeding a crop and turning their back on it probably doesn't yeild the best results. Doing what ever necessary within the organic rules and guidelines is......

Plow downs don't control perennial(Canada & Sow) thistle roots, just probably makes them madder. At that stage they may have depleted root reserves but what organic farmers do after that to regain some control is beyond me.

Comment

Good post Hobby 👍
          My issue is that does affect those around , but so does big conventional farms that farm over a 50-60 mile radius that don’t wash equipment.... clubroot or thistles are spread in both cases ..... and very costly to manage

Comment

Good post Hobby 👍
            My issue is that does affect those around , but so does big conventional farms that farm over a 50-60 mile radius that don’t wash equipment.... clubroot or thistles are spread in both cases ..... and very costly to manage
            With spring burn off and pre/post harvest applications of glyphosate farmers are easily managing thistles. Its cheaper than ever.
            Look at your headlands against the grid roads and you will see your own thistle problems.
            I have not seen a thistle patch in my neighbors fields and 100 mile radius for over a decade.
            Clubroot will soon have a spray when it gets more prevalent. You can’t stop canola production, that would be disastrous for farmers.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
              With spring burn off and pre/post harvest applications of glyphosate farmers are easily managing thistles. Its cheaper than ever.
              Look at your headlands against the grid roads and you will see your own thistle problems.
              I have not seen a thistle patch in my neighbors fields and 100 mile radius for over a decade.
              Clubroot will soon have a spray when it gets more prevalent. You can’t stop canola production, that would be disastrous for farmers.
              Yes it is manageable, not sure on the possible fungicide, but new genetics built in the seed will be very effective if managed properly.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
                A more serious answer.
                It looks loke not many peas in there. He/She still has the opportunity to plow it down.
                I can not say nor criticize what each individual organic farmer is doing because I don’t know and everybody has a different style.
                It does not effect a conventional farmer, they spray for weeds twice a year every year so that is a non issue. The only person that organic farmer is hurting is himself. In February I suggest you go make an offer to buy him out. Its that easy.
                I sold peas to the hollywood pea processor in Vanscoy (?). They use JGL commodities as a sourcing agent. My loads were 3 months late for pickup. I finally badgered those elusive bastards until they came for the grain. The trucks BOL destination was Moose Jaw.
                I did get paid in a timely manner but I am not fond of chasing buyers for 3 months past contract expiry to pickup the grain.
                This winter has proven to me that the organic market is getting lower priced and complacent.
                I have consistently recommended not to go organic. Pictures do not lie.

What is interesting is I can drop cows off at those guys and have payment after a couple cups of coffee
                ..and I watch them scale the animals. ...

Grains shouldn't be any different...

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                  What is interesting is I can drop cows off at those guys and have payment after a couple cups of coffee
                  ..and I watch them scale the animals. ...

Grains shouldn't be any different...
                  Verdient is in Vanscoy but the peas went to Moose Jaw. I am about 350 km from Moose Jaw. I did get paid, I found the logistics were odd.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...
                  X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                  You agree to our and by clicking I agree.