• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My farmland

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My farmland

My Farmland explores how Chinese national and Chinese immigrants' investments are affecting traditional Canada’s agricultural sector by following three families: two in tiny Saskatchewan farming communities, the other in the wine-making region of Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont. The film tells a very human story of how communities react to an influx of people from a different culture who hope for a better life by working the land.

https://www.cbc.ca/cbcdocspov/episodes/my-farmland?fbclid=IwAR2sWdYD5U5T_Tp2j0sTjz8NgXxeCPNL lFKG2c_n9-Dso7ZhL-83ZPEHxGY https://www.cbc.ca/cbcdocspov/episodes/my-farmland?fbclid=IwAR2sWdYD5U5T_Tp2j0sTjz8NgXxeCPNL lFKG2c_n9-Dso7ZhL-83ZPEHxGY

Looks like those offshore investors you bitch about are actual farmers trying to sc**** a living out of the dirt same as you and me, how do you feel now?

Originally posted by pourfarmer View Post
    My Farmland explores how Chinese national and Chinese immigrants' investments are affecting traditional Canada’s agricultural sector by following three families: two in tiny Saskatchewan farming communities, the other in the wine-making region of Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont. The film tells a very human story of how communities react to an influx of people from a different culture who hope for a better life by working the land.

https://www.cbc.ca/cbcdocspov/episodes/my-farmland?fbclid=IwAR2sWdYD5U5T_Tp2j0sTjz8NgXxeCPNL lFKG2c_n9-Dso7ZhL-83ZPEHxGY https://www.cbc.ca/cbcdocspov/episodes/my-farmland?fbclid=IwAR2sWdYD5U5T_Tp2j0sTjz8NgXxeCPNL lFKG2c_n9-Dso7ZhL-83ZPEHxGY

Looks like those offshore investors you bitch about are actual farmers trying to sc**** a living out of the dirt same as you and me, how do you feel now?
    .....and now for the rest of the story. I would bet there is more Investor yen dumped into shell(investment) farms than poor old Chinese immigrants trying to eke out a farming living off the land in good old Canada.

Pure speculation on my part.

Comment

Probably buying from the likes of Pike or Boyd .....

Comment

Driving some nice stuff for new farmers. Investor backed likely.

Welcome to Canadian agriculture.
        Last edited by jazz; Mar 11, 2019, 13:18.

Comment

Easier to play farm with Lego than trying to win in canada.

Comment

Private ownership of land in China is illegal I thought. Although there is private farms.
            Keep in mind also, they plan ahead intergenerationally. So the integrity of the people here not in question.
            Question is, who holds the first dollar? And how do we maintain sovereignty over the next century.
            When will the people here no longer be loyal to those back home.

Comment

My Farmland airs tonight on CBC.

If you have time take a listen to the interview with the director, Diana Dia.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/chinese-canadian-farmers-are-facing-hostility-as-they-settle-in-rural-areas-a-new-cbc-doc-aims-to-change-that-1.5054953?fbclid=IwAR1mkDna05rw5_-on07VG3h0SAzfqwArVbRmjKxjPC_aqCuB8HhwD4yha-g

Comment

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/chinese-canadian-farmers-are-facing-hostility-as-they-settle-in-rural-areas-a-new-cbc-doc-aims-to-change-that-1.5054953?fbclid=IwAR1mkDna05rw5_-on07VG3h0SAzfqwArVbRmjKxjPC_aqCuB8HhwD4yha-g
                What time Saskatchewan time.

Comment

Yup, sure. CBC. Sounds trustworthy.

Comment

The farmers from China on the big reserve by us are suppose to be turning the land back to canola wheat or barley and quiting the livestock operation in two years.

Most others flipped from one to another with none farming.

Land owners.

Comment

Would be fun to hear bto farmall's take on the chine farmers😂

Edit: whatever happened to him anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
                        Yup, sure. CBC. Sounds trustworthy.
                        Wow. I'm not suggesting you to listen/read to it because CBC is trustworthy.

We should be concerned how rural sask farmers and foreign land owners are going to be portrayed to the average Canadian. Who do you think is going to be the 'bad guy' of this story?

But whatever Burnt, stick your head in the sand because their platform is CBC.

Comment

My mistake, it actually airs tomorrow the 15th.

Says 9pm, I assume they mean eastern time because the world revolves around that time zone.

Comment

Well watched it. Don't feel sorry for the winery owners. They were dumb enough to think that money would flow like, well, wine. No clue about continual costs. Arrogance at its finest. Fire the long-term manager - yep, real smart.

Felt kind of bad for the SK Chinese couple, but not really. Old man has happy fuzzy dreams from a kid and 20 years too late. Wife does not want to be there. Kids aren't much different than Canuckistan kids - gonna show the world what I can do with Dad's money.

Don't feel sorry for the Ogema white farm boy. Married himself a horsie girl and you can tell where her priorities lie. Sell land, sell equipment, go get an off-farm job, as long as I can keep my horses happy. He sold family land, which I would think is unforgivable. I see Ritchie Bros. in his future, and a divorce. If he had stayed single with no kids, I think he had the ambition to be very successful.

Comment

Lots to say.
                              The Chinese guy in Ogema shows up for opportunity, the same as my ancestors did over 130 years ago. Obviously he "apparently" doesn't have access to an endless supply of capital, ends up selling equipment, share cropping out land. I think it is a tougher farming area. Sounds like the wife/mother doesn't like the isolation of sparsely populated rural Sask. Would rather have her kids first class educated professionals than second class farmers....the status of each in China.

The generational farm struggles as well. I question the choice to liquidate land he bought in order to cash flow the farm. Would he be any further behind farming what he owns with modest equipment. He might find himself spinning his wheels "working", paying rent and taking all the risk for the "Industry" and landlords.

Ogema was "Assiniboia" Land Co birth place(burgeoning Sask land rush) , wasn't it? Maybe the Input Capital crew can finance these struggling enterprises! .....Full circle. Land prices escalating beyond it's ability to support itself!!!!!!! Frenzy! Has the pendulum swung too far?

Farming can be ruthless, harsh and heartless....it takes no hostages. It should be classified as a disease or a mental health condition. Farmaholicism.

The winery isn't in my wheelhouse, but "whinery" is....both can be intoxicating, lol.

Maybe both Chinese families needed to invest in what they knew. Farming is a tough high risk gig, not for the faint of heart or anyone who knows better!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.