• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class 1 Driver's Lic

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's 125 hours.

You're behind the wheel of potentially 9 axles and 63 tonnes or more.

When I got my class one it was 240 hours of training.

I could set slacks drive standard and auto and knew every part of the air system...

Plus a bunch of tricks you'd only know from old school truckers.

Plus ice road experience. Chaining. Splitting B's

It's worth it. Get the training.

And then there's all the log book and legislative bullshit these days.

My wife and I both have class 1s. She took hers here in sask what a bullshit course she learnt nothing I didn't already teach her.

Will this make class 1 driver's more valuable? Probably. That's a good thing.

I'm tired of "class 1" drivers who can't handle this kinda terrain.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190119_104932.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	767088

Comment

Easy there big fella. We were talking about immediate peak season farming needs. Not starting a reality TV show.
      But seriously, I do agree with you on training.
      Trick is to know your limits. I now only go short hauls in daylight.

Comment

Like jeez, at harvest I've got trucks on gravel only. 15 mile hauls max. But no insurance cause the guy that day might not have his papers.

Comment

The only thing that will change is that it will make driving regs real miserable for all you white guys. You are well on your way to Ontario regs where you won't be pulling a handful of cows in a trailer with a 3/4 ton without have an A1 licence, log books and all the rest.

But in the city, Burka Burka wants his licence, so he contacts Durka Durka who has a cousin, Gurka Gurka, who does A1 Driver Training and has a brother, Jurka Jurka, who works for the provincal licensing office. So a couple hours later and a bunch of paperwork, Burka Burka is a certified truck driver. And if anyone questions it, just scream racism.

Comment

I truly believe we are in a new era with the influx of migrants and many trying to make careers in the trucking industry, we are no longer issuing 1A licenses to only Canadian citizens. People of different countries and different rules, languages, customs, morals, beliefs, skills. There's rumours of some countrie's drivers, rules and vehicles being described as atrocious.

A little while ago I told a story on here where we had a winter rain and highways were skating rinks. The big gravel haul to Regina's infamous Bypass project was happening on the highway I live near. The trucks were absolutely inconsiderate. Because the ice was thick and the weather turned cold after, the salt/sand applied to the highway only cleared a path in the middle of the highway. Well the trucks hogged that one lane's worth of dry pavement IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HIGHWAY. Oncoming traffic had to navigate solid ice straddling their own lane and the shoulder of the highway, which is far from a smooth highway it was 30 years ago. Even at cautious speeds commuters risked losing control on that highway in those conditions being forced to drive where they were. So instead of each lane of traffic, on the two lane highway, having their driver's side wheels on dry pavement, only the road hogging trucks were on it(they weren't all guilty). My own experience was a night time one. I was in my lane with numerous oncoming vehicle's lights approaching, kinda hard to tell what was what as they seemed staggered, as I approached the first truck I realized the ****er was in the middle of the highway, halfway in my lane, were did I have to go but over to the right and onto the ice at a speed I wasn't comfortable driving at on it(I was travelling less than the speed limit due to conditions). Needless to say the DOT got a call from me the next business day and I told them they better get out there and monitor them. Well I couldn't have been the only one to call, people were making Facebook posts complaining about the situation and saying they were phoning the RCMP as well. In the days following(and it took a long time for the ice to wear off) I was on the highway again and some of the trucks would wonder over the center line as oncoming traffic approached and then back into their lane when the vehicle was close, kinda taunting or playing chicken....ya---"Professional Drivers". Intimidation and retaliation to the public for being reported by the public.

Sorry for the long drawn out post, but it goes to show what we're dealing with and some "people's" mentality.

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
              The only thing that will change is that it will make driving regs real miserable for all you white guys. You are well on your way to Ontario regs where you won't be pulling a handful of cows in a trailer with a 3/4 ton without have an A1 licence, log books and all the rest.

But in the city, Burka Burka wants his licence, so he contacts Durka Durka who has a cousin, Gurka Gurka, who does A1 Driver Training and has a brother, Jurka Jurka, who works for the provincal licensing office. So a couple hours later and a bunch of paperwork, Burka Burka is a certified truck driver. And if anyone questions it, just scream racism.
              Happens here in town every damn day. Truck and trailer pull in from a Brampton driving school 3 hours away, 5-6 people fall out of the sleeper all wearing similar clothes with different coloured turbans. Written tests are all done with phones in hand “to help translate”. When the first road test comes up, the first student and the school instructor disappear into the washroom and swap turbans, the instructor takes the test. If the tester says anything they have the whole group swarming them screaming about racism making all kinds of threats so they’ve given up. Next test, same instructor swaps turbans with his next student and takes the road test for him. Etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                Other than experience, how does(why should) a farmer get a free pass for acquiring a 1A,....same equipment and roads. I'm even on the record as stating there should be safeties on farm trucks and trailers. Maybe not on a commercial schedule but milage based for the power unit, trailers might have to be on a time schedule.
                Most around my area get their trucks safetied. I get all three of mine done 1is commercial plated two farm plated. You will learn there is a lot less hassle when going through scale or getting stopped when you have the sticker. There is talk about electronic log books being mandatory in all trucks that might create some issues in ag trucks

Comment

I think a lot of people are missing something.....the reason there is a trucking industry is because the railways didn't want the work or couldn't handle it....

Maybe someone should look into the fact that the load on the truck that killed all those young lives could have been on rail....is there any reason to hurry a load of peat moss in April?????

The reason we have large trucks on the farm is because the railways wanted more efficiency and government granted them the consolidation....

We don't move grain any faster today than 30 years ago.....the system isn't set up for it...a lineup of super Bs today is no different than 3 tons at wooden elevators 35 years ago....

Politicians don't understand shit which is why I will continue to call them stupid....along with the people that lobby them for stupid shit....which is why instead of a world class network of railways moving product in this country we have a trucking industry that gets its loads from a GTH in the middle of nowhere to be transported back to the very cities the ****ing shit has travelled through on train....
                  Last edited by bucket; Feb 9, 2019, 09:57.

Comment

"
                    We don't move grain any faster today than 30 years ago.....the system isn't set up for it...a lineup of super Bs today is no different than 3 tons at wooden elevators 35 years ago...."

Thank you for saying that bucket.
                    At first I scoffed. Then I realized that there must be areas that do struggle with movement. Good reminder.
                    Here, it is nothing at all like 35 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                      Well if there are hundreds of these tree areas they should be cleared. Our rm does it all the time. Has greatly reduced accidents.
                      You need to take a reality pill. Are you going to clear cut all of western Canada? Take the trees out and the house or the shop or the barn or the parked 4WD will still be blocking somebody's vision from some direction. Where do you plan to stop?

Here's a big hint about where to stop ---- at the red octagon with STOP written across it's face.

If Mr. Sing had done that we wouldn't be having this conversation. The only reason that intersection is under the spotlight is because somebody didn't stop at the stop sign. There's a million more intersections in western North America. Maybe we should put traffic lights up at all of them. Or do like the Mexicans and put a dude with white gloves in the middle of each one.

The spectacular feature of common sense is how incredibly UNcommon it actually is.

Comment

Originally posted by bobofthenorth View Post
                        You need to take a reality pill. Are you going to clear cut all of western Canada? Take the trees out and the house or the shop or the barn or the parked 4WD will still be blocking somebody's vision from some direction. Where do you plan to stop?

Here's a big hint about where to stop ---- at the red octagon with STOP written across it's face.

If Mr. Sing had done that we wouldn't be having this conversation. The only reason that intersection is under the spotlight is because somebody didn't stop at the stop sign. There's a million more intersections in western North America. Maybe we should put traffic lights up at all of them. Or do like the Mexicans and put a dude with white gloves in the middle of each one.

The spectacular feature of common sense is how incredibly UNcommon it actually is.
                        wastin your breath bob , some don't get reality or common sense any more

Comment

A buddy contacted me today about this thread. We discussed it a bit and after all I've posted here and after the short discussion with him....I also do believe, ultimately, it is really a "moving traffic" violation at the heart of it all. But that doesn't take away from the fact there are some other issues that need to be addressed that are becoming problematic, many of which were brought up in this thread.

Comment

Bob and caseih, I take it you dont believe in defensive driving, and if you cant see the intersection clearly because of trees do you have to come to a stop just incase the other guy dont, I just hate those blind intersections where you have to get to the middle of the road to see what may be coming, and yes noone should park equipment where it will block vision,,COMON SENCE.

Comment

Isn't the actual problem certain "individuals" giving away class 1's instead of testing properly?

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
                                Bob and caseih, I take it you dont believe in defensive driving, and if you cant see the intersection clearly because of trees do you have to come to a stop just incase the other guy dont, I just hate those blind intersections where you have to get to the middle of the road to see what may be coming, and yes noone should park equipment where it will block vision,,COMON SENCE.
                                Most of us know that in the country, if you don’t drive defensively and check every intersection before approaching it, we are risking our lives for nothing as all of us can attest to. Common Sense goes a long way.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.