• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Maymont grain elevator

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Maymont grain elevator

They are buying wheat mainly based on falling number . Have not sold anything to them this fall yet but will be taking samples. All our contracts were local for off combine .
    But...... some here have low grade wheat, lots of 3’s they are being told and a lot of feed from north of here. Same samples to Maymont are $7 delivered there if the falling number is good .
    Just a heads up to others , don’t give up $30-$40/ac .... margins are tight enough as it is on wheat .
    It’s about time the real value of hrsw gets paid to the producers. Well closer anyway.
    With inputs going up daily it seems , we all need every nickel possible this year.
    Mother Nature already had our heads in a vice far too long .... don’t need to get fleeced from every angle possible from our whole Ag industry as well .
    $.50 to $1 / bus may be the only profit margin for some this year..... might be worth a drive.
    Also Vitera now doing oil content on canola ... but not paying for it to the producer. It is just getting binned separate... 🤔. Some canola varieties have fairly high oil content but producers continue to not get paid .
    Like many have said on here , WTF good is all our check off money going to ???
    All these groups that are supposed to represent us .... but really what are they doing ?
    HRSW ... is bought mainly from falling numbers but we have guys with tweezers picking out stuff that gets cleaned out in the cleaners ..... that we pay for
    Canola ..... main value is the oil ... but we don’t get paid to produce higher oil varieties.
    Peas ... main value is protein ... again we don’t get paid for that either.

P&H in Tisdale is buying with the falling number. As long as it has a good falling and not full of ergot or fuss it grades.

Comment

And soon the CGC will become redundant.

Comment

Viterra moved into Australia with no falling number machines.

Farmers stopped going to them.

Viterra installs falling number machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post

I stopped going to viterrra because they closed the closest point to my farm without a reason...

Comment

Furrow-the Maymont place has so far been very good to deal with. Hauled about half my wheat there last year, bit of canola, and some wheat this fall. Falling number is variable within a field and in fact the same sample tested twice has varied by as much as 30 in my experience. The mill in Stoon has done this for a really long time. I hear the concretes in Battleford are saying feed to a lot of wheat. It’s not all feed.
            That said, Maymont this fall seems to be erring on the side of caution with moisture. Maybe that will ease up when the dryer is running but til then seems a sample on my 919 is 14.3 and 14.8 there. Maybe all delivery points are that way this
            Year.
            Oil content was extensively studied by Sask Canola a few years ago. Can’t recall details but the upshot I think was that a ratcheting discount for low(er) oil would be a greater risk than the premium to be gained on high oil. They have a report available I believe
            In peas, Verdient at Vanscoy is buying on protein. Had a substantial premium last year and sought only high pro peas. This fall their premium was uninspired but that may change as the year progresses. The new plant in Portage will be buying on protein. The plants in Minot have a protein scale-$0.25/bu per point above 23.
            Seems pretty easy to get a discount on soybean for protein. There are some markets paying a premium for high pro soy-gotta farm in Ontario to get that.

Comment

Interesting and thx Quad. Ya the moisture thing does vary a lot from point to point all over here. there is a lot of erring on the side of caution on moisture and protein , a little more than normal. Also some very big differences in green counts for those with off grade canola .
              Just good to see other opportunities finally coming around. Will make others have to sharpen their pencil a bit. One has to wade through some muddy waters this winter to see what your crop is actually worth . But when you see differences that can add up to $30-$40/ac , some questions need to be asked. None of us can afford to be giving away a single dime more than we need to with machinery, input and land costs being so very very high. For some crops there is simply too many hands in the cookie jar and nothing much left for the farmer doing all the work and taking 100% of the risk .

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post

“Viterra who?” Apparently there’s a still a functioning Viterra facility in my local area. Used to go there but a real dumpster fire even back in the pool days. All I hope we get more buyers and uses for our commodities both top grade and low so these uncompetitive dinosaurs are forced to pull up their bootstraps or fall into the tar pits. Farmers had to adapt and change for the times and do it cost effectively. Not the same could be said for the pools or Rich’s Viterra mess.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...
                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.