• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola varieties for 19

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola varieties for 19

What preformed well on your farms this year? Will you try some new varieties that are available for 19? I grew L233 it did ok considering basicallly no rain in July and the good old heat.
    I miss growing 252, but don’t want to swath after straight cutting for two years. It’s hard to beat 252 for yield.
    There are new varieties coming out. Dekalb has a few, haven’t seen any data to see how they compared to the competitors. But, of course they will be better depending on compny they are up against. Dekalb has a new Liberty link variety which is a good idea.
    Seed costs are through the roof like everything but we still be booking seed.

We are interested in 233 for next year but some guys dont seem real happy with it . We grew 230 and it finally knocked the pioneer clearfield varieties out of top spot for yield on our farm . The 45h76 had been top yielder for 3 years and grew 45h75 this year . It still yielded really good and was on a poor field , but the 230 really came through this year . Highest canola yield ever on our farm on a small field . The rest was kinda comparable with the pioneer
    But on a whole quarter nexera 1012 outyielded them all and of course you cant get that next year

Comment

Can someone tell me what the average seed costs per acre does canola cost now....I haven't grown it for a while but the farm could use a rotation of it on some fields....thinking invigors

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
        Can someone tell me what the average seed costs per acre does canola cost now....I haven't grown it for a while but the farm could use a rotation of it on some fields....thinking invigors
        It’s only $75 acre for seed

Comment

Oh I forgot book seed early in order to secure supply.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy View Post
            Oh I forgot book seed early in order to secure supply.
            They like you to pay to get the early cheap price.

Comment

so to link this to another thread...75 bucks an acre on 18 million acres thats 1.35 billion in seed ....you guys see where I am going with this....the so called agribusiness that supposedly spend 100s of millions get their money back pretty quick....

Just saying...

Comment

Shop around.Prices vary lots.
                We all get a different price than your neighbor..
                Going with Truflex 92sc and 7565 next yr..

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                  You will like 75-65 it will do good in your area. I grew it in 17 did close to the top against 5 other varieties.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                    Agreed , did some bartering on 230 and it dropped $2/lb

Comment

Pod integrity is crazy good on L233P. Extremely variable rainfall in our area this year and as such the crops were quite variable. Straight cut one quarter, the most even one, and swathed the rest. Some was easily 90% seed colour change or more.... lighter soil on one end of a half kinda got ahead of me. No shatter.

Yields were good given the lack of rain. Will definitely grow again. Neighbours had 75-65 do very well both straight cut & swath. A Pioneer sclerotenia resistant variety looked very nice too, 45CS40,lots of pods.

L230 we grew last year and it had high oil content and very good yield. Little tall for my liking.

Comment

I wouldn't be banking on Truflex being registered....nothing in it for China to want it.

Comment

Dekalb really spending BIG advertising True flex. Think hard about Club-root....apparently in our crop district, no phone call, so keeping fingers crossed. Seed CR varieties for your farm's survival. The whole area is at least 50% canola!

Comment

I grew half 233P and half 75-45, cant say yield wise much difference. It was first year for 233P, seed quite a bit smaller, maybe cause it was dry and may plump up better with normal conditions and improve yield? 232P was tall and bushy, I left some to straight cut and it did not stand up as well as the neighbors 75-65 through the crappy fall weather we had. (Straight cutting not gonna be the way of the future here)

Was tired and cranky when Richardson's booking deadline came during the only good harvest weather we had, told them no because the deadline is too early when we hadn't even combined one acre of canola yet and am moving to another retailer. Sounds like I wasn't the only one! Maybe they will learn for next year. Whats wrong with winter or at least after agritrade when you've had time to research and compare and even think about next year.

I have a field of breaking that would be a good fit for the truflex option but haven't seen any yield info, did I miss it or are they tight lipped about it?

Comment

Guys around here, myself included, are buying pod shatter varieties and swathing them anyway. Standing canola is very slow to cure for some reason. Neighbor sprayed twice and still waited a month.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.