• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rented vs Owned Propane Tank

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rented vs Owned Propane Tank

Like it or not I am going to have to dry grain this year. A first for me so if my questions seem dumb to you veterans,I apologize. I have bought a batch dryer and did some routine maintenance and everything appears to be working. Now I need to hook to propane. I have two tanks but both are rented. I have the option of hooking to one that heats my shop or trying to buy one,which I have heard is near to impossible. I get my propane from Saskatoon Coop and they said that because my tank is rented it must be hooked up by someone licensed to hook up a dryer and get it inspected. First question, does the same apply if I owned a tank? Next question. If I happen to find a tank,what should I be aware of when buying a used tank? Thanks in advance. I think. Lol

Find another supplier

Comment

We bought our tank from the coop many yrs ago.they always inspect before filling at the start of season..
      They brought pre cut hose and hooked it up and filled the tank the 1st time..
      Last edited by Partners; Oct 9, 2018, 19:54.

Comment

ive found coop to always be more expensive and the delivery men want to try make your life as shitty as thiers. low cost propane has always been cheaper and better

Comment

Today, on the news they were talking about the shortage of propane. They said Melfort area could wait 10 days. That’s just crazy!

Comment

https://www.ckom.com/2018/10/09/propane-in-short-supply-as-sask-farmers-dry-grain-harvest/

Just take your tank off the BBQ and you'll be fine...

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
              Today, on the news they were talking about the shortage of propane. They said Melfort area could wait 10 days. That’s just crazy!
              lots here have been waiting more than a week .
              co op employees moment in the sun I guess ?

Comment

Besides the wait..are they hosing farmers on the price to?
                We paid 41 cents a month ago..

Comment

We own our tanks

Comment

What’s the price you’re paying now?

Comment

Of course you need to pull liquid off tank.
                      Older tanks had valve on bottom, newer tanks usually have a dip tube.
                      Tank must be rated for 250 psi. Avoid older 200 psi tanks. If moved I am not sure if anyone will fill them.

Comment

I bought a new thousand from the co-op a few years ago and hauled it home and hooked it up myself and had Superior propane fill it. The new one wasn't much more than what then what they sell for in auctions. Make sure if you buy one it is 250 psi because they won't fill a 200. I have an older 500 that sits on a rubber tire wagon and I am told that they will not fill it because the tires are flammable.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                          Besides the wait..are they hosing farmers on the price to?
                          We paid 41 cents a month ago..
                          Yes it’s gone up to 51 cents now.
                          In August it was 41 or even lower I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                            I bought a new thousand from the co-op a few years ago and hauled it home and hooked it up myself and had Superior propane fill it. The new one wasn't much more than what then what they sell for in auctions. Make sure if you buy one it is 250 psi because they won't fill a 200. I have an older 500 that sits on a rubber tire wagon and I am told that they will not fill it because the tires are flammable.
                            Local supplier brought me one out already mounted on a rubber tire wagon. I pay rent for the months I use it, then they leave it sit here for free the rest of the time with the understanding that if they need it, they will pick it up. I also get all my fuel from them, so that may make them more agreeable. No shortage here(yet) but they are very busy, many construction sites have had to hoard and heat all fall, which would normally never happen if not for this global warming we are experiencing lately.

Comment

40.6 cents currently from Bluewave (Coop is 46) and you better order it a couple days ahead around Edmonton. We got a 2000 gallon and nobody inspects it or the dryer. My buddy phoned about a rental tank and every outfit laughed and said they could put him on the waiting list. A couple more days and we’ll be caught up drying since we’ve only got 10% of the crop off. More rain and snow forecast for the weekend and the last inch hasn’t disappeared yet. Yippee

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.