• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My happy place

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheepwheat.we tried planting garlic last fall and nothing survived.planted again this spring and a small % is growing.what is the secret?

Comment

Then there is the strawberries,raspberries cherries, Saskatoon's, black current and several different apples
      You would have to taste my wife’s cherry pie!!!

Comment

Art?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
          Sure like the pics. Here I thought I was alone again...

We have been no tilling our garden now for about 15 years. We mulch heavily with manure, spread it evenly six or so inches thick, let it sit all summer, fall and winter, and plant into it in the spring. Weeds are a distant memory, the soil that used to bake, crust and be hard as a rock is now mellow and soft.

It is amazing how much food one can grow off a few rows of this and that.

My sons have been “breaking” about a quarter acre patch with a garden tractor they bought and an old disc they pulled out of the bush. They plan to grow a lot of garlic for sale. I go out there once in a while to see the progress. They even cut out a few trees to make an approach to their field. 😝 they have been multiplying garlic for a couple years. Been eating scapes for quite a few meals. Man are they something else...

How do you eat scapes?

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
            How do you eat scapes?
            Pickled! Mmmmm

Comment

Then on top of working full time she has flower gardens all around the house.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                Sounds like a plan for most of the agricultural land in western Canada. We just need to figure out to upscale it!
                If I could do on my farmland what we do in our garden, 😲.

Comment

Originally posted by newguy View Post
                  Sheepwheat.we tried planting garlic last fall and nothing survived.planted again this spring and a small % is growing.what is the secret?
                  Plant date is important, you do not want any root growth at all. Late October at the earliest. Also, mulch it heavily.

Other than that, we are new to the garlic racket, but so far so good. Demand is enormous for garlic. Gross revenue of ten g an acre is typical apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                    How do you eat scapes?
                    Sauté in butter and a bit of salt and pepper. Last nite I put scapes in a bag of potatoes and microwaved em. Man, that was so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                      Plant date is important, you do not want any root growth at all. Late October at the earliest. Also, mulch it heavily.

Other than that, we are new to the garlic racket, but so far so good. Demand is enormous for garlic. Gross revenue of ten g an acre is typical apparently.
                      sure would be nice to have garlic that doesn't come from China and grown in human waste ! we use lots , lol

Comment

My wife has grown garlic for years and if you look in my second picture there are two short rows of garlic.
                        One row is behind the overgrown lettuce and the other row is the first row on the right, behind the beets.
                        She plants late fall or early spring works either way.

What she grew last year we just finished and she ran out to the garden and grabbed some new.

Comment

All this talk makes me think of Al Bundy when he was stressed as a shoe salesman....lmao...

I do enjoy doing some gardening....but there will be not a single apple this year ...piss me off....back to the episode of Al Bundy ...

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                            All this talk makes me think of Al Bundy when he was stressed as a shoe salesman....lmao...

I do enjoy doing some gardening....but there will be not a single apple this year ...piss me off....back to the episode of Al Bundy ...
                            yea what happened to the apples ? trees flowers well, no frost ?

Comment

Apple Maggot and Codling Worm Experiment: Since the worms got our apples last year, this year I sprayed the trunk of the tree and the surrounding ground with Malathion every few days. Since the larvae crawl up and under the bark, I concentrated on that area. So far, no sign of the moths nor worms, but they still may come, I dunno. Lots of apples on most trees that I see around here.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                                yea what happened to the apples ? trees flowers well, no frost ?
                                I don't think they flowered this year.....odd...any ideas?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...