• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My happy place

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My happy place

With rain in the forecast we thought even with the ground still wet we better get the weeds cleaned up.
    Any other gardeners on here? If there is please put a pic of it on. I will start and I know Parsly likes to garden.
    Last edited by seldomseen; Jul 10, 2018, 21:41.

I enjoy it a lot. Now with our sheep, we have better growth with all the manure. Your corn is sure bigger than ours! Nothing like fresh real food. We do a lot of pickling and preserving too. Just ate our last bag of beans from last year, new ones almost blooming. We are quite old fashioned on this farm...

Comment

Friends have 30x70 greenhouse garden with fans and automatic misters. Full of veggies, eating potatoes , peas, beans, cucs are 8 inches long. Weeds love that daily misting.

Then in Regina, near the university the South Zone gardens have over 350 gardens. Now there are gardeners and there are gardeners, but very interesting ideas from many foreigners. Ukrainians straight from Ukraine love their gardens and everything is intensively tilled, best gardens usually. No compaction there!😁 Some of the rest of us kinda limp along.

Comment

I guess we are old fashioned also. We love our garden produce. We should have peas in about a week and beets and fresh potatoes by the weekend. Once tomato season starts there is nothing better than toasted bacon and tomato sandwiches. Pickled beans and carrots are great in the winter and so are the dill pickles that are made from all the cucumbers. Fresh corn on the cob is hard to beat. In the fall we love butternut squash.

Comment

It might be a retirement thing for me but right now I would have a hard time finding the time and energy for a garden. I think there is a lot of personal satisfaction and pride growing a garden and enjoying your own produce.

Comment

There is no more beautiful place on our farm than my wife's garden. She loves it and commented just this morning when I mentioned this thread that she does it because she likes to stay busy - not because it's worth the effort. Well as the pics show - she stays busy. And we eat well all winter from it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Entrance to Garden of Eden.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	766531

Name:	Peppers and taters.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	766533

Name:	Corn interseeded with beans.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	766535

She planted soys between the corn rows to get into this interseeding thing that taking off in this part of the country...

Name:	Growing in the dust.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	766534

It's become necessary to start watering stuff. Need a good rain.

Mulching with straw over top of newspaper saves a lot of weeding.
            Last edited by burnt; Jul 11, 2018, 06:10.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              It might be a retirement thing for me but right now I would have a hard time finding the time and energy for a garden. I think there is a lot of personal satisfaction and pride growing a garden and enjoying your own produce.
              I'm in the same boat farma - looking forward to being a gardener in the future. Got fed up trying it in AB only to lose everything to frost time and again - including potatoes in July!

Comment

It's a stress reliever. I love to trim my trees at the lake and have a small garden up there. its lettuce tomatoes and onions and cucumbers. Farm garden is a project with my youngest son. He is determined to get it right one year. This is his third try and I think he is starting to figure it out.

Farm garden has corn, potatoes tomatoes, peas, cucumbers, radish, onions celery, zucchini, spaghetti squash and pumpkins plus a raspberry patch that I have a chemical to control the weeds.

I do flowers in regina, farm and lake.

Its peaceful when some days you just want to punt something.

Ah, retirement is also getting closer may as well start practising.

Comment

Used old air drill hose to water tomatoes.duck tape bottom and drill hole facing plants.great for when plants get big

Comment

Originally posted by newguy View Post
                    Used old air drill hose to water tomatoes.duck tape bottom and drill hole facing plants.great for when plants get big
                    Damn good idea, I will be stealing that! Are those marigolds planted beside the tomato's?

No pictures at the moment, but we love gardening here as well, kids seem to learn so much when they're involved! My daughter and I will go out the garden and she will say a number and then we "race" to pick that number of weeds each, first one done gets bragging rights! I hope I can keep this game going, LOL!

Mom and Dad used to pay us kids to pick weeds: 25c per 5 gallon pail. Everyone had a big garden in those days.

Comment

My wife is the main gardener and I do lawn and trees. She has 3 different spots where she puts gardens some low ground and some high ground so she always gets something wet or dry. It is hard finding the time but we enjoy our yard and gardens.

Comment

Sure like the pics. Here I thought I was alone again...

We have been no tilling our garden now for about 15 years. We mulch heavily with manure, spread it evenly six or so inches thick, let it sit all summer, fall and winter, and plant into it in the spring. Weeds are a distant memory, the soil that used to bake, crust and be hard as a rock is now mellow and soft.

It is amazing how much food one can grow off a few rows of this and that.

My sons have been “breaking” about a quarter acre patch with a garden tractor they bought and an old disc they pulled out of the bush. They plan to grow a lot of garlic for sale. I go out there once in a while to see the progress. They even cut out a few trees to make an approach to their field. 😝 they have been multiplying garlic for a couple years. Been eating scapes for quite a few meals. Man are they something else...

Comment

Potatoes and corn on high ground

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                            .........We mulch heavily with manure, spread it evenly six or so inches thick, let it sit all summer, fall and winter, and plant into it in the spring. Weeds are a distant memory, the soil that used to bake, crust and be hard as a rock is now mellow and soft.
                            Sounds like a plan for most of the agricultural land in western Canada. We just need to figure out to upscale it!

Comment

Pourfarmer.Yes marigolds beside tomatoes to keep away certain bugs.air tubes are dug in at time of transplanting tomatoes.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.