• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fungicides

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's beneficial that prey on the bad fungi... Plus sask didn't have a fusarium problem till heavy use of fungicide began.

Sask did not have a fusarium problem until it started raining more and everyone stopped working there straw down.
    There was lots of fusarium here in 1993 after a terrible wet summer and I don't think there was any fungicides sprayed around here at that time.
    It wasn't that long ago that Sask was 50% crop and 50% fallow. Most farm seeded into black dirt and there wasn't much crop disease.
    No one had fusarium until the No Till Drill was invented so it must be the No Till Drill that caused the epidemic.
    Last edited by seldomseen; Jul 8, 2018, 12:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
      All of you that keep spraying so many fungicides... Look at your soil under an electronic microscope before and a few days after.

The amount of beneficial soil bugs you are killing is mind numbing

There's beneficial that prey on the bad fungi... Plus sask didn't have a fusarium problem till heavy use of fungicide began.

I wish more farmers took unbiased soil biology education there would be a lot less money wssted.

Spray plane going in drizzle herfe this morning.
      🎯 agree 100%

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post

Sask did not have a fusarium problem until it started raining more and everyone stopped working there straw down.
        There was lots of fusarium here in 1993 after a terrible wet summer and I don't think there was any fungicides sprayed around here at that time.
        It wasn't that long ago that Sask was 50% crop and 50% fallow. Most farm seeded into black dirt and there wasn't much crop disease.
        No one had fusarium until the No Till Drill was invented so it must be the No Till Drill that caused the epidemic.

Fusarium has been documented back to ancient Egypt.

Fusarium is also a catch-all for a bunch of similar diseases.

Humans fan and do get fusarium infections also.

Comment

All i know is that the guys that dont use fungicide will cut their canola a week
          To 10 days earlier than the ones that do . That has to translate into quite a yield increase . Oil goes in last and that is the bushel weight . Their probably is better alternatives but we need something

Comment

Thankfully our business is still free enough we can do what we want. If we didn't spray fungicides here fusarium would make our wheat unsaleable in a year like this (warm and moist).

Re direct seeding, residue and fungus, the Red River Valley is plagued with fusarium as well and for years residue was burned and tillage is extensive. Innoculum is everywhere. Conditions in MB with warm and humidity promote fungal growth.

Comment

Peas recovered a bit and look way better. Never ever will use viper.

Canola last year did the test and only applied on a section and some full sections half the field. Yea they drag on a bit longer but last year no measurable yield difference. This year more tests but I’m thinking no difference.

Last the HRS we will probably do half acres since a lot is past point and it’s been very little dew since Wednesday last week.

I’ll have results at harvest and grade.

Last year 100% hrs and peas and barley canola just a bit. Similar yield to neighbours some was higher but seeded later.

Comment

Your peas look super and quite a change from your earlier pics so I would wonder about root rot. Any time my peas had the stems pinched off they never recovered but that might be because it never dried up.

Comment

SF3, so are you saying you sprayed everything last year but won't spray everything this year? Are you overall drier this year than last year?

I will base my decision to spray on our conditions on our farm. This is definitely a different year than last year for us....as I explained earlier.

I have some dirt that sees wheat just about every second year. I have land that had epidemic fusarium infections on them. Rolly land with moist rich low spots. We were NEVER regular fungicide users in the past either...in fact I balked it! Until you get a durum crop decimated by fusarium, a canola crop that "ripens" prematurely and lodges because of sclerotinia stem rot. A lentil crop that has sclerotia bodies growing in white cotton like structures on their stems! And in some cases conditions that not even fungicides can overcome....even if applied twice, like they sometimes suggest!

Continuous cropping
                  Zero Till
                  High moisture environment
                  Pathogens
                  Hosts

No doubt the current farming methods have exasperated/exacerbate the potential problem.

If the market wouldn't punish us for a minute amount of fusarium in cereals...maybe I would fore go an application too. Mother Nature can take enough, then the market kicks you in the nuts too...
                  Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 8, 2018, 22:37.

Comment

We are way dryer than last year. Very little to no dew last week.

We’re just right like before the floods.

Last year all wheat barley and peas sprayed plus some canola.

I think we’re back to normal weather.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                      All i know is that the guys that dont use fungicide will cut their canola a week
                      To 10 days earlier than the ones that do . That has to translate into quite a yield increase . Oil goes in last and that is the bushel weight . Their probably is better alternatives but we need something
                      That’s what Klause is getting at .
                      Current methods pushed by chem companies are not helping the cause like you think . Band aids for issues happening in the soil because of their products. That’s the point

Comment

No different than a drug addiction, without it crops crash . Unless we start looking at what we , they , are doing to the soil .

Comment

I'm agreeing with furrow and Klause on this one. It has something to do with soil and no-till and moisture. Worked fields in fall outyielding just about everything around.

Comment

What ever happened to the theory anhydrous ammonia would turn your land into an airport runway? People still use it and grow crops....look at the pics SF3 posts.

Dead soils? Summerfallow did alot of damage!

Comment

Again funny just checking wheat it’s 7:30 and basically all dew will be gone in half hour it’s 18 above zero wind

Comment

When you work ground that has been no till you will release extra nitrogen that could be part of the reason for yield increase. I think tillage can help cut down on disease too, bury Sclerotinia bodies deeper where they cannot germinate as easy.

We have been using fungicides for almost about 20 years. Yields have been trending up very well. Also replicated side by side trials almost always show a good return on cereals, not as consistent on canola but big gains some years. Soy does not get a fungicide.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.