• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TIME TO DROP THE GLOVES!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ag sector still isn't getting the message out well enough to help get some change.

An interview on ctv news net the other day , left mewith the opinion the ag industry has to sink or swim, no lasting impression of why things stink so bad these days.

And that is the problem, not effective enough in the media.

My city inlaws don't get it , and as long as the groceries are affordable , don't care.

There has to be more effective lobbying, and the real story why we are working for peanuts has to be hammered home. A proffesional campaign should be launched to win this battle or it will be over before a " shot " will be fired ( metaphorically speaking).

But we have to want it bad enough, and do enough of us really want to change this ineffective system.

Sad to day, but the time IS now. And are there enough of us left?

Comment

A more effective media campaign is needed.

The urban voter could care less as long as the groceries are cheap enough.

A protest on the highway gets 1 minute of meadia coverage, but things don't change from that.

And are ther enough of us left who want to make a change ( seriously ).

Comment

A protest along the highway with farmers driving expensive tractors, combines, pickups etc. only adds fuel to the urban folks idea that farmers are rich and don't need any help. They aren't aware that the machinery etc. is likely not paid for.

Comment

re: grassfarmer
          The point was the input dealers,line companies do not stand behind us now, so how do we force them too. Avoid them, buy from independents, buy through FNA, NuFarm, take 20-30% out of production, don't buy that iron this year. You don't think this would get there attention? Better yet maybe ban hauling grain/oilseeds to one multi-national. Let's come up with suggestions not apprehentions(sp).

Comment

I think the best thing we can do is nothing!Literally.Just not seed a crop this year and let the leaches that suck us dry every year do the crying for once.Vigilantiism will get us no where.

Comment

Thanks "dalek".

I had some summerfallow last year. Glad I did too. Dad's going to have some this year, plus we're turning a 1/2 section of "difficult" grain land into some quality pasture/green feed (more cows). I don't think we are the only ones doing this either.

I weld at Bourgault Ind. in the winter. I'll tell you what, we've made more seeding equiptment for over seas (Russia BIG TIME) then we have for western Canada this year (so far). Their are a bunch of farmers that work there. Some of those guys are now FULL time Bourgault employees...not farmers anymore. Kind of scary huh?

Comment

countryguy..."Vigilantiism will get us no where."

What we are doing now...is getting us no where.

Comment

FOS was not a bad idea but it didnt take off and I doubt anything else will we will just set here and be picked off one by one.

Comment

Just a note get tough with the Dealers, Yesterday I went to get spring Anhydrous prices and after the first two it looked as if I will have to pay between .42 and .38 well I told them, tell their head honchos its .35 or lower or Ill just seed the 8000 acres and collect crop insurance.
                    That's either sell $252,000.00 of anhydrous or sell $210,000.00 or less at my price or simply sell nothing.
                    Also the nothing has chemical instead of around $200,000.00 its 2-4D and roundup 1/2 FNA and go fishing.
                    They have 1/2 million in possible sales or nothing. Its up to them.
                    Their are other farmers in my area with more acres that are doing the same. May be this will get some attention. We just have to carry through with the treat to seed and do nothing.

Comment

saskfarmer, I share the frustration and am pleased to see someone actually doing something rather than just talking. However these are Trans-national Corporations you are dealing with, supposing no one on the Prairies seeds a crop could you survive with no income? Monsanto and Co could because they are still selling product around the world. Unfortunately with their world wide market dominination these huge parasites could survive and outlast farmers in any one country boycotting their products.

Comment

But alot of them would loose their jobs. And word would reach the top I think. SASK#3, What did they tell you when you said that to them???

I was told that Monsanto Round-Up (I'm sure all chemicals), is priced differently all over the world. For instance, it's only $2/ac in Brazil.

Comment

I find a lot of the price descrepency in the world sort of strange? There is a lot of talk right now about this cheap urea coming into North America and they say China can produce it cheaper because of low natural gas prices? But everytime the old gas company wants to justify a price increase they cite "world gas prices" have risen? Now is that true or is it just North American gas prices have risen? And how much of that high price is due to government taxation?
                          In reality I think price has more to do with what the market will bare than what is really a fair price? I think the latest Roundup price changes will show that?
                          I also wonder if a lot of high prices here are due to government taxes and regulation? In other words when you have a big parasite on your back(federal government) do you need one hell of a lot more money?

Comment

Its funny the independent phoned back and if I am serious he will monday talk to his boss and get back to me by 5:00 with an answer.
                            I think in Saskatchewan Most dealers are scared shitless that they are going to have a rough year and any sale is a sale.
                            As for different prices around the world yes it is true they price according to market and subsidies.
                            If its the US then price higher than canada and mexico is even cheaper yet.
                            In China one can buy Glyfos by the tanker for 1.00 US a liter.
                            Thats monsantos base cost.
                            What a great system.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...