• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would we deal with Disaster ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank God.

Comment

...farmrangers post is exactly what my wife and I were discussing just this morning...both nations treating of the poor is basically one big job maker for govt...instead of helping the poor to be independent individuals the taxpayer pays for them to be dependent on govt from one generation to the next...since govt knows best right...not...

Comment

I do believe blackjack has hit the nail right on the head?
        You can't expect anyone to stand up and be a responsible human being if you treat them like a dog...whether as an abused dog or a pampered dog!
        The whole concept of society owes you a living is so basically flawed? The only person on this earth that owes you anything...is you!
        Government has created this huge "industry" that thrives on meting out the dole for all manner of people. Is this working?
        In this country we are constantly short of skilled laborers, but rather than spend a few bucks to train our own we import them...while our poor continue to live a miserable life on the dole or working for starvation wages!
        I remember a few years ago talking to a supervisor on a pipeline. He had two single mothers welding for him and he said they were his best two workers and he'd got them through a government training program. His theory why they were such good workers? "When I get a cat to catch mice, I want a momma who has to feed her kittens!"
        In most cases they put these little welfare mommas back in school where they learn garbage like Shakespeare and get them a high school diploma. Which is real nice...they can be oh so proud when they are working at MacDonalds! Quite frankly Macdonalds just doesn't cut it! Get these girls into the trades where they can make a decent living.
        Our education system is geared to producing a whole bunch of highly useless people! People who think they have a right to a living just because they went to some idiot school. Unfortunately so many of them are so flawed that about the only place they are fit to work is for the government!
        We need a return to a good solid work ethic and the belief if you don't work you don't eat!

Comment

I am always amazed at how many stores have boxes for donations of school supplies this time of year. Obviously heading back to school is huge expense, clothes, supplies etc., and it is tough for those who are making a lower income, but in a two parent family with both parents working there should be some way to get retrained if possible to raise the income level of at least one parent.
          I have heard several of the lower income folks complaining loud and clear about their situation which I certainly sympathize with, but in the next breath hear them say that there is no way in hell they are going to get an oil patch job and be away from home.

Sometimes a personas financial situation is about choices of where they work and what sort of lifestyle they will be comfortable with. I think the provincial government has put some initiatives in place to assist adults to become better trained, and certainly the ones that have the desire and work ethic to get ahead can do so in Alberta.

Comment

There is no doubt that for economic development to happen and to be able to attract skilled workers, investment etc., that we need to be training people right here at home.

Even the types of skilled trades that we will need in the future will be different from those of the past. We have metal workers here and for future endeavours we will need stainless steel workers.

We can import the technology that we need to experience growth in many sectors and complimentary to that, we need a skilled workforce that has specific technical skills.

We also need employers who are willing to take the time to help people acquire those skills. Many do not want, or even have the time, to train workers -- yet at the same time even tradespeople need experience and mentoring from others.

What we also need is the ability for our young people and those returning to be retrained to not have to go into serious debt in order to get the skills and knowledge that they need. Many of the rules around getting an education have changed. Now parents are expected to help pay for the first 4 years of post-secondary education for kids. How can low earners, or those with 4 or 5 kids to put through be expected to do that?

A strong work ethic is required and I wonder just how many kids have that now when so much has been just given to them over the years? There are many good kids out there who do work hard, earn a good living and are very responsible, but how many are ill-equipped to handle life in the "real world"?

Comment

Linda, there are lots of deserving kids that cannot obtain a post secondary education because their family cannot afford the cost. Some young people end up attending Lethbridge University because they cannot get into U of A or U of C so added to the cost of getting their education is travelling that far from home and likely not able to get home very often during the year if they happen to come from central or northen AB. In my community the 'in' thing for families is to buy a condo in Edmonton for the kids to live in when they attend either university or college. This likely is a cost saving measure in the long term because of the savings on rent for four years or so plus the resale value of the condo, however, not every parent or parents can afford to buy a second dwelling just to help the kids along.

Right now many young people aren't going to college or university but choosing to apprentice in a trade just because of the demand and the ability to earn as they learn.

Comment

Well being somewhat biased??? because I like to work with my hands, I might suggest a lot of these university educations are defacto a bunch of drivel? We really don't need more little office nerds...in my humble opinion! We need people who are ready and able to get their hands dirty and actually do some work!!! Well I said I was biased...
                The boy was a whiz kid. Actually maybe the smartest person I have ever known!
                Of course after listening to 18 years of my ranting of right wing pro-business rhetoric, he went to university to take commerce. Got the degree but discovered he hated accounting! Came home to dear old Dad and started his real education!
                Might not be pretty but slowly I'm getting him educated in the real world!
                The world of making a payroll, paying the bills, making a profit and common sense!
                I'm not some kind of guru. I don't have all the answers. But I do know how to make a buck...and I know how to hold on to it! Sorry if that sounds a bit egotistical...always my biggest fault!
                At times I feel bad that I pushed him into this life because it really isn't his nature. He would be more content to be something else...I am sure...a philosopher or a teacher or an artist or something along that line. What the hell are you going to do? You only get what you can work with! And it is amazing in the long run how close the apple falls from the tree, as he is coming around and has become a fairly competent businessman...with a little advice from old Dad!

Comment

And oh man would l love to hear him tell about how many times he has GIVEN old DAD advice !!!!!!!!

One of my sons is a drilling consultant, has his Welders Ticket and Pressure Ticket and loves getting out in the patch and working side by side with the 'boys'.
                  The other one is a geologist and power engineer, has a desk job and is a totally different breed of cat !!! Both of them got a good basic education in how to work hard, be fussier than heck and how to be responsible to whomever was paying their wages from their dad. From their mother they got nothing but nagging according to them, but surprisingly enough they still call the old gal for advice now and then !!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...