• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Governor General

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that link farmers_son, that was an interesting read and a whole lot of information that I was ignorant of.

Comment

Well, Quebec is a part of Canada, still, and fighting the separatists remains something that is necessary on an ongoing basis.

In addition to catering to the Quebecois, it could be said that this appointment is catering to the Haitian community, the larger immigrant community, the women vote, the journalistic community, the Catholics. Michaelle Jean and her husband are an inter-racial couple. The only interest groups, other than perhaps farmers, missed are the gays and the handicapped. It is significant that she speaks five languages which will let her reach new Canadians.

There is a tradition of alternating Anglophones and Francophones and this time around someone from Quebec or at least fluent in French was sure to be chosen.

I would have preferred Jean Beliveau, but as he is seventy four and I believe has had health problems Jean probably wasn’t an option. If not Michaelle Jean , then who else keeping in mind the tradition of alternating Anglophones and Francophones.

Comment

Farmers_son are you suggesting that if the lady had not been available or had declined that there was no other choice ?

Have we ever had a First Nations Governor General ? It would seem that should be also given consideration as they have been here longer than the rest of us . I feel very strongly that the appointment should consider what the individual has given to Canada, it should be an honor bestowed on a deserving Canadian that has made contributions to the country in some significant way. Mme Jean may very well be an excellent Governor General but that is not the issue, it is about what the criteria is for the position of Queens representative. I note that even Duceppe was critical of the appointment so obviously it isn't sitting well with all Quebecers.

Comment

Senator Aurelien Gill, an Innu from the Lac St. Jean region has been mentioned as a possible candidate. The Lieut. Gov. of Quebec, Lise Thibault is a name that is mentioned in the press. Also Monique Mercure and Monique Bégin were touted by Le Devoir as candidates. None of these people are well known out of Quebec so it is difficult for an Albertan such as myself to comment if they would have been a better choice.

I agree when you say “that the appointment should consider what the individual has given to Canada, it should be an honor bestowed on a deserving Canadian that has made contributions to the country in some significant way.”

Yes Duceppe was critical of the appointment, which may be the best recommendation for Michaelle Jean as Governor General that a person could have.

Comment

If the appointment is to try and convince Quebec to remain in confederation perhaps you are right, however, I feel we have spent enough to appease Quebec,the appointment of a Governor General should have nothing to do with one province staying in confederation.

Comment

When you say "“that the appointment should consider what the individual has given to Canada, it should be an honor bestowed on a deserving Canadian that has made contributions to the country in some significant way.” what are we really appointing a GG for? Aren't we appointing someone to do a job, albeit one with a rather unusual job description, rather than bestowing an honorary position on someone for deeds past?
              If that's the case maybe it's right that we should appoint someone with hopefully their best days ahead of them in terms of making a career and reputation for themselves rather than someone who is already "famous" and has been successful in another field?

Comment

grassfarmer there are many people who likely could perform the duties of a GG that are not 'famous'. I have always found that people who are willing to serve their community, province or country with dignity and respect are far from famous. Lois Hole was a prime example. She never sought fame, just worked damn hard not only on her farm but for her community. She worked tirelessly to improve the education system for kids and if she were still alive I would say that if we needed a GG she would be my choice by a country mile. She had a record of serving her community not of being famous. Nobody should plan on making a career out of being the GG, the term is not a significantly long one. I agree with cowman, that we don't need the position, but as I said before if we do, it should not be bestowed on somebody just to keep Quebec in Canada !

Comment

Sorry am a whole bunch late to this posting been busy combining very valuable peas(HAHA). This is just another example of the big liberal machine filling the air up with another minor controversy to take our minds off the scandal that we should be remembering. The smokescreen that they have created with this will take our mind off of it and our simple little western minds will forget about how much those bunch of bandits actually stole from government coffers. And those from down east will vote liberal as per usual and the worst that can happen is that Martin will form another minority government. It just irks me to no end the contempt which with this government shows the voting public.

Comment

Well Carebear, hope your peas are coming off well and you will sell them at a decent price. It has been raining here for the last few days, but that might be a good thing as it is so darned cold that if it ever clears off it will probably freeze!
                    The barley and some early wheat crops are turning nicely but the canola is still green as grass!
                    Looks like a great crop if Mother Nature will just co-operate and not go into her artic nature! A lot of lodging due to wind and rain.
                    Unfortunately the nation has pretty well decided Gomery is "yesterdays news" and it looks like the Liberal party is well on its way to reclaiming its status as the "natural governing party"? Hopefully there are enough of us old boys who still believe that a SOB should be held accountable for his actions, that we won't be swayed by talk of homos, dope and a healthy dose of politically correct?
                    Sure hope you have a good harvest and you keep hanging in there with your old time attitude? There aren't a lot of us left?

Comment

FYI In her new job, Michaëlle Jean would not only be Canada's de facto head of state, but also commander-in-chief of the Canadian military.

Today in the media Michaëlle Jean has publicly affirmed her commitment to Canadian federalism. She responded to claims that she once harboured sympathies for Quebec separatism.

In a brief statement issued Wednesday, the governor general designate added that her devotion to Canada is shared by her husband, filmmaker Jean-Daniel Lafond.

"I want to tell you unequivocally that both he and I are proud to be Canadian and that we have the greatest respect for the institutions of our country," said Jean.

"We are fully committed to Canada. I would not have accepted this position otherwise."

Comment

After hearing her prepared statement, I felt there was a lot of wiggle room in it that did not rule out any feelings of agreement with Quebec independence. She said she never belonged to any groups looking to seperate, but I don't think she ever said she never believed in it. Just a thought.

Comment

The Royal Can Legion is holding out for her to declare her loyalty to Canada and the Queen. She holds french citizenship so it does make one wonder how she was possibly qualified. According to Martin's aide he saw her on TV and said he wanted her for the GG position, so obviously she did not have to present her credentials for scrutiny.

Comment

I thought it was kind of funny when she declared both her and her husband are firm Canadians? Hey if I was getting a peachy job like that, I'd be a damned "firm" Canadian too!
                            Harper isn't touching this one with a ten foot pole? And I believe that is pretty smart? If he makes one peep about her the Liberals and media will just burn him with terms like rascist, bigot, anti-women, anti-french!
                            Martin will wiggle his way through this one just like all the other garbage? I imagine the good old NDP will be there cheering him on! He really is quite a piece of work?

Comment

cowman, Jack Layton has already been heaping praise on the new GG. I think it has certainly done a lot to discredit the position of Governor General and no matter how good this lady is at the job isn't going to matter after the way she was selected.
                              Martin is a snake and things like this will keep on happening while we continue to be the laughing stock of the world !!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...