• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drilling Activity and Notification

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emrald, they get the salary PLUS whatever honorariums there are for sitting on committees etc. They receive $2500 per month and other than the regular - you can't miss "x" number of meetings in a row, there are some that don't make some of the meetings and they are still paid.

I don't know if a councillor that goes along to get along will be worth the money that they are paid. It's also interesting how campaign promises never materialize and the same old same old creeps in again.

If the councillor sits for years, then at times they are worth it. I am also a very firm believer in the fact that after some years, you NEED new blood for the simple fact that you can have 20 years experience, 1 year at a time, if you get my meaning. Like anything, you need turnover in order to keep on the innovative side and willing to accept and adopt new ideas and ways of doing things.

Cowman, the auditor said that the money spent on the county building was legitimate - how much of that building was needed is anyone's guess. What I don't particularly care for is that they are spending big dollars to expand the parking lot when it was built only 2 years ago. That seems like a bit much, but then we aren't sitting at the table when the decisions are made.

I do think that councillors need to have the backbone to stand up for what they believe in and more importantly, for what their constituents believe and want. When reading the county news, I am surprised to see that all the MPC decisions are going through with relatively little, if any opposition. I wonder what happened to we can't have this going in here...or I'm not afraid to speak out. It's funny how things change yet still stay the same.

Comment

The most important thing any councillor must learn and adhere to is that the decisions they make are for the good of the entire municipality not just their own division.
      I agree that new blood makes for new ideas but the worst nightmares that happen are when an entire council turns over at one time, the experience of good councillors is necessary as new folks are on the steep learning curve.
      In my own municipality there were five new out of seven councillors. None of the new ones have any experience on MPC and didn't know the MGA from a hole in the wall. Thank goodness we have one councillor that served as both a member at large and a council member on MPC for years or we would have some real messes in planning and development.

It does sound as though your previous council voted in some pretty plush reneumeration packages for themselves or was it the newly elected council that approved it ?

Comment

No, it was the old council that voted that in. A 46% raise that had a number of ratepayers in the county up in arms. Two councillors of that group did not run again and one incumbent councillor was replaced after it went to judicial review - at our expense. So 3 of the 7 didn't have anything to do with the increase, but 4 of them did. I wasn't aware that they had given themselves a raise this year - kind of cheeky in some respects, given that there are many ratepayers who haven't seen a raise in years, let alone almost 50% in less than 3 years.

I agree with you that you cannot have a complete turnover as there has to be continuity. Dare I say some succession planning could/should also be built in. It's too bad that it is a more or less thankless job because it would be good to have people that were learning and waiting in the wings so to speak to take over the reins at some point. But then again, that would likely prove to be a little overwhelming for some who "covet" the seat and believe it to be theirs for as long as THEY want it.

Aint' politics grand - at any level?

Comment

waiting in the wings to be a municipal councillor could be very interesting. If the person waiting is aligned with the current councillor and the majority don't agree with the current decisions then the one waiting likely won't be elected.
          Apathy tends to elect councillors in rural areas, people think that good old so and so is a shoe in and stay nome then are disgusted when someone that hasn't got the brains of a turnip gets elected !!!
          Being an effective rural politician takes a major time committment, and well qualified individuals with a lot of family committments may find that they just cannot devote the required time to one without short changing the other.

Comment

Yes, lots of topics that need to be re-visited in Alberta. Hence the announcement last week of the "Coalition for Alberta's Future". For information, form a landowner's group, attend the Ponoka/Lacombe coalbed methane information meeting April 27th 6:00 pm Ponoka Moose Lodge, and organize a similar meeting in your community.

Comment

I can sympathize with your worries and concerns regarding the CBM and shallow gas drilling. Down here (just north and east of Calgary) we too are being overrun with oilies and their hard ball tactics. The thing that the oily land men never tell you that is you have the right to be represented in any meetings with their land agents. I have used a wonderful land agent by the name of Paul Vasseur. Paul is from Three Hills, however, has worked all over Alberta representing land owners and proudly states he has nev er represented an oil/gas company. Paul spent 12 years with the Farmer's Advocate office, so knows the province and certainly is current with all the new regulations and devious habits of the o & g companies. The other things that the oilies never tell you is that you are not obliged to pay for representation--the invoice for that work goes directly to the oil/gas co. who you are dealing with. Even if you do not have the wells directly on your land, you are still impacted and still have the right to have conditions set out to lessen the impact on you and your land. Paul's email is flyingv@telus.net..you can certainly give him an email and see if he is working in your area. (phone 403 443 7392) The sad part of the prolifertaion of wells is the fact that they need to be connected by a pipeline (or several lines) and compressors, as shallow gas or unconventional gas is very low in pressure.

By all means get out to a landowner's group--the old 'divide and conquer' routine is a favorite with the oilies. I have managed to keep them mostly off of my home section by putting out stronger conditions. To this point in time their operation in this area is 'on hold'. As was stated previously by someone--they will eventually get here and they will get their wells drilled, even if it is just by a 'right of entry' order. So if you must have them on your land, get the most yearly compensation that you can get and be sure to get absolutely everything in writing. You will have a stack of business cards a foot high when you are done with these people as they have a staff of a thousand for every little job--and then they change jobs at the drop of a hat to go to a more lucrative position and someone new and wet behind the ears takes over.

I spoke to a machinery dealer at Eckville yesterday and he said he lost a good and young mechanic to the oilies as they offered him $700/day--little hard to compete with that in agriculture. Perhaps all these oilies should try eating and drinking their oil/gas. But I digress...take all the time in the world before signing any document with the oilies and by all means--get representation to help you. You can also invoice the oilies for the time that you spent negotiating, phone calls, visits etc., so start a journal of dates, times, activities--even if it is having to check and close gates etc. each day--mark it down and then send them an invoice. The oilies seem to think that they are the only ones who should get paid for their time.

With regard to any flaring or venting in your area, you can insist that they use a complete burner that burns efficiently, quietly and is not affected by wind. Flares are 99% unefficient if there is wind--gee do we get wind in this province..and then as you say, we are supposed to bear the brunt of being good stewards of the land but the o & g companies get away with air pollution with impunity. The best burners that I have heard about are with a local company Bekaert CFB Technologies--24 hour phone (403)399 9927 Kris Kinear is a contact name. The carcinogens that come off a flare or vent stack is truly frightening. The Ab. government will be truly amazed in the next 20 years about the number of cancer related conditions in their entire population.

Just one more thought, but if you don't want more than one well per quarter, have that as a condition in your original agreement and also state that the one footprint is only for the drilling of one well and no more. The oilies don't like it, but it will give you and your heirs some peace of mind. And don't let the 'easy' money fool you--banks and lending institutes are now looking sideways at all this activity on the land and are demanding environmental studies done before giving out a mortgage as they are well aware of the liability if there is environmental damange to the land and the cost to clean it up. The cost would choke most landowners if the o & g bunch are not made to clean up their own mess..but again, I digress...don't cave in and stand up for what you want..good luck...

Comment

Escellent advice. With regard to pipelines, when they are abandoned the EUB will often allow them to remain in place after they are purged. I have a real problem with a pipeline being allowed to remain in place when it crosses a stream or other water body. The fact is that these abandoned lines are likely never checked again and they could be corroding and causing all kinds of environmental issues.

Comment

Thanks for the information sagewood.

Emrald, if these pipes are potential risks to the groundwater, then who will become responsible if there is a problem?

We will know that society is serious when the same demands and risk assessments are placed on other sectors, whether voluntarily or madatory. Agriculture is voluntarily doing it - shouldn't some of the other resource sectors be doing so as well? I know forestry has some pretty strict rules - why not for oil and gas? The rules are there, but they certainly aren't enforced.

Comment

Linda, I am positive that even though the petroleum company may get an abandonment certificate they would still be responsible of there were any adverse effect in the future.

Comment

Actually emerald, that isn't really correct?
                      There are literally thousands of "orphan wells" in Alberta where the companies walked away and left the government holding the bag? When a company drills a well they have to put money into a fund that is supposed to go to cleaning up "orphan wells". Last year I believe the Klein government cleaned up six of these wells...even though there should have been enough funds there to clean up over one hundred? If you look at how the Alberta government acts in regards to big business it is truly a scandal! But then why should they change? The idiots keep voting them in and they continue to live the life of Riley?
                      I wonder how many leases stay with the original company? These guys play musical chairs like no other business in the world...and they go bankrupt and are reborn to fight another day on a regular basis? It is almost like an industry stratedgy to avoid paying for your mistakes?

Comment

Oh, one more thing! Never sign an abandonment certificate! If you do you just might be liable somewhere down the road!
                        Instead let the Alberta government sign it! In the meantime it will take a couple of years and you will get a couple more lease payments!
                        The oil company will offer you a "bonus" for signing the certificate...but don't do it! It is always less than what you'll get by holding up the process and if anything goes wrong in the future you aren't left holding the bag!

Comment

cowman, the 'orphan well fund' is a different issue than allowing a company to abandon a pipeline.
                          Farmers don't have the ability to sign an abandonment certificate as far as I know, but they do have the ability to sign a reclaimation release. I will never sign one and believe me the reclaimation regs have been relaxed so much that landowners have to be extremely vigilant during reclaimation processes to ensure that their interests are being met.

Comment

Good morning everyone..re the orphaned wells, the orphan well fund covers the cost of abandoning and reclaiming these well sites..this same fund also now covers an orphaned pipeline.

That being said, however, you also have the right to insist that the pipeline be removed after it is decommissioned. The oilies will fight this like crazy and say it will do more damange to the land and etc. etc. So in future, before I sign for any well on my land, I will insist on seeing the pipeline plan and having the contract read that the pipeline be removed after decommissioning.

By all means, do not sign off on the reclaimation certificate..especially since the gov't has gotten so lazy about having each site inspected by an environmental officer. The oilies will try to pass off the most minimum of reclaimations and as stated, the land owner is left with the mess.

With regard to help to fight for lease or reclaimation, another good fellow who is very well-versed and knowledgable about all of this is Richard Secord (Lawyer) in Calgary. If anyone is interested, I will look up his contact information and email it to you. He is currently fighting for a lady in the Rosebud area who is being greatly impacted by a noisy compressor that is not on her land. She has not had any success in pleading her case with the oilies who are responsible for this compressor, in fact, they have pretty much managed to make her look like a lunatic, which she is not. Try living with a grinding, screaching compressor 24/7..could make anyone go a little luny. A-n-y-way......good luck..hg

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...