• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Land Use Workshop

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great proactive way to introduce your new neighbours to life in the country in an agricultural area.

Comment

Emerald: Deb definitely thinks outside the box! She has been absent for a little while. Not to disaparage her but frankly she is...lets be diplomatic... a wee bit "out There"?
      Consider your worst nightmare...where the NDP runs the country?....There you have Deb!

Comment

One can see further from "out there"!!!

I find it easy to see future consequences of actions we are taking now, that's all. Maybe it comes from being a multi-tasking mother. I have learned that I cannot tell my husband the end result of my schemes because he has no clue how my thought process got there and thinks my idea is ridiculous. So I write/explain every step with drawings and everything so he can see the sequence of events. I can see sequences of events as easy as anything in the world. I see what will happen to moose, swans, bear, etc. if large ranches are fragmented into little pieces. I see what will happen to agriculture when fossil fuels run out. I see what will happen when the drought deepens and the St. Mary reservoir is empty (it's full now, by the way - obviously somebody was THINKING AHEAD). I see what will happen if Cor and Rick sell their feedlots to Cargill. Just because I think of things ahead of time doesn't mean I'm weird. Lots of people do this, they just are able to keep their thoughts to themselves. I have visions that almost always come true but I guess I waste my breath telling people about it. I'd like to say to hell with the world, but I like people too much, so I continue to try to make them care, which is impossible but I'm a sucker for lost causes.

I admit that if this was 400 years ago I'd probably be burned to the stake by now. It may interest you to know that I don't ALWAYS agree with EVERYTHING the NDP says or does

Comment

Well Deb, I suspect you probably don't always agree with the NDP...probably think they are too right wing or something!LOL
          I'll try not to rip you too bad just because I might not agree with everything you say! It takes all kinds of people to make this old world go around...and that includes the tree huggers and other assorted "different thinkers". Who is to say they aren't right?

Comment

Thanks. Wouldn't you say that the NDP was right to try to stop NAFTA all those years ago, speaking from a cow-calf rancher's perspective?

Comment

What a boring world this would be if we all thought alike. It is those "out there" thinkers that have provided some of the most revealing and innovative breakthroughs at various times throughout history.

Bottom line is that we cannot make any more land, so we need to be very thoughtful and forward-thinking to use what we do have wisely and sustainably.

Comment

Deb: NAFTA was the best thing that ever happened to Alberta...and for that matter to Canada. Just take a look at the increase in trade and the real wealth created by NAFTA? That is money that we wouldn't have had otherwise to spend?
                Actually we always had free trade in cattle and beef with the USA? NAFTA really did not affect that trade one way or the other?
                Our present crisis does not have anything to do with NAFTA. Our spineless eastern Liberal government has not used the tools available, under NAFTA, to get this trade dispute settled? Our eastern government also created the problem in the first place by leaving our grain farmers out in the cold in the grain wars...thus leading to the massive increase in the beef and pork sector?
                When they killed the CROW and never challenged the US and EU on their massive grain subsidies, they set the Canadian livestock producer up to fail?
                We need a government who will deal with the Americans like a business partner, not like a flunky? The NDP would take us down a road that would further alienate us from our major partner? How can that be a good thing?
                There is one hell of a lot more to trade than a bunch of old cows? We need to move into a much tighter alliance with the USA...not further away! I would suggest in the case of Alberta, we need to first of all seperate from Canada, then negotiate to join the USA?
                I'm sure you agree?LOL

Comment

The United States is using NAFTA to ensure their own energy security, for one thing. Canada is required by NAFTA to continue exporting oil and gas to the U.S., even if Canada experiences a shortage (which just about happened this year as far as heating oil goes). That means when the oil and gas start seriously running out, we can cut 50% of the oil and gas off to the U.S. but we have to reduce our consumption by 50% as well.

So even though we may experience cold winters, the southern States that get our oil and gas can still get their share and fritter it away in their cities, on flashing billboard lights and other silly things. The might just take it all anyway and let "the nothern bastards freeze in the dark."

The same will apply to water some day.

Short-term, NAFTA works for some sectors but long-term it is a disaster for Albertans and all Canadians. The United States is in the process of eating us up and will spit us out when our resources are gone.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...