• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today in Pictures

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
    It was delivered as malt barley.
    Does your employer not have a DEI policy? If that wheat wants to identify as malt barley, then who are you to disagree? Do you think you are a better judge than the grain itself, or the farmer who nurtured it? Have you asked yourself, what is a barley?
    As we all know, diversity is our strength. That is a very diverse sample.
    You may be subject to a human (grains) rights complaint for your racism, bigotry and intolerance.

Comment

I saw a sample like that once. Trucker delivered wht it was down graded because of Barley in sample, but farmer didn't know until he came in later to pick up check because he wasn't there to watch.
      He said he had never grown barley and it was impossible that there was barley in his load. Elevator pulled his sample jar and there was not only BLY mixed with Wht it was 100% barley.
      Accidents and mix ups do happen at the probe, sample box, on the bench and in the sample jars.
      The truck before was barley and somehow BLY got mixed in sample or in dockage tester then sample jars got mixed in storage.

Not saying this is what happened here but it does happen and is usually caught but The elevator that day was shipping, receiving, blending and drying so the grading room was crazy.

Comment

They put a load of wheat in the bottom of a bin at harvest and then forgot about it. Came back a couple days later and put malt on top. He just didn’t think it would be so bad when he hauled it in.

Wheat is also heated.

He called that he had a split load but seemed confused when I asked if it was wheat and barley split, since two hoppers looked like wheat on the probe camera Lol

Comment

Yea I clearly remember going to load a train of [NODE="2"]Forum[/NODE] Wht. The elevator was right full with no room left to turn or put mix ups. The bin we were loading out was [NODE="2"]Forum[/NODE] wht but they had dumped a load of Feed Wht on top of bin thinking it would blend out. Third car in, feed wheat started showing up and degraded car, they had no place to return to house so they dumped it back into same bin, still thinking it would blend out. Nope just kept recirculating down through the center eventually degrading the whole bin and train. Some people, even elevator people don't understand how grain flows or how contamination and grading works.

Comment

Heard description, "spoon in off stuff" not just DUMP in.

Comment

You can get rid of a lot of stuff if you blend it in slow. A pencil auger and the heel of a barley bin, you could sell as a 1 red!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                You can get rid of a lot of stuff if you blend it in slow. A pencil auger and the heel of a barley bin, you could sell as a 1 red!
                Yes you can blend but rarely mix to grade. A lot depends on sampling and how the sample is handled also.

Comment

I thought I had a good understanding of how Green flows out of a bin versus how it went in. Until I was trying to blend wet and dry canola out of various bins this fall.
                  It seemed that wet on top of dry, flow out completely different than dry on top of wet.
                  I expect mixtures of different grains would flow unpredictably as well. Barley would have more friction than wheat I would imagine.

Comment

I never add to a bin without climbing to see what’s in it if I can’t open bottom

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                      I never add to a bin without climbing to see what’s in it if I can’t open bottom
                      The more people involved with harvest, the more problems. We have just under 100 bins. I manage it from the combine seat. I make sure and look at each one prior to the combines rolling and keep a book with me in the cab.

But it can happen, just lucky it hasn't happened to us personally yet.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                        I thought I had a good understanding of how Green flows out of a bin versus how it went in. Until I was trying to blend wet and dry canola out of various bins this fall.
                        It seemed that wet on top of dry, flow out completely different than dry on top of wet.
                        I expect mixtures of different grains would flow unpredictably as well. Barley would have more friction than wheat I would imagine.
                        Yes when loading truck or even dumping sample pail grain will separate by size shape and weight. Smaller, heavier grain like weed seeds and broken grain will be in the middle of the pile. Where the bigger lighter material will be on the outer side. so what happens is where you take your sample from in your truck or if you don't use the Borner divider when grading your dockage and grade can be off.

Comment

Had an egghead from Intertek tell me that he tried to engineer a statistically reliable method to determine ergot at unload, either rail or truck. Couldn't be done.
                          This particular event illustrates the value of a relationship with your various partners etc. I've had oopsies myself. If you trust no one ever, it will get costly. You either won't be trusted or liked.

Comment

out and about with camera

Comment

Waiting for breakfast.

Comment

Thankfully water bowls have come a long way in 40 years.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...