• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Agriculture 1984, 1994 to 2004

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cowman:

What do you do? Seems to me you have quite a bit of time on your hands.

Comment

I heard a fellow speak not too long ago and his advice was "if you don't like what you are doing, go and do something else because life is too short to be doing what you don't like."

I agree that we need to take a look at going back to the smaller farm - not like in years past, but in a manner that allows for making a decent living and having the lifestyle that one chooses. When I mention this at meetings and such, people jump to the conclusion that I mean 5 cows, a couple of pigs and a handful of chickens for fresh eggs. That is not what I am talking about at all.

What I am talking about is farms that pay for themselves and do a good job of supplying our domestic food requirements. It has always made me sad that most of the pre-packaged, refined, time-saving, value-added meals come from countries other than our own? Why is that?

We keep putting money into things that are loosing propositions. The government keeps talking about value-adding, well get on with it then. Ensure that policy allows for this to take place - don't keep hanging on to outdated policies because the larger companies benefit. Let the smaller guy get in there and show his/her stuff.

Part of the problem in my area is that it is these folks with more money than they know what to do with buying up land for prices that will never, ever return a profit on any legal activity.

What can we do to get it back to the grassroots and work in a system that makes sense? The Ag summit process in Alberta got us started, but in the past year, there has been very little mentioned about it. I'm wondering where it is at?

Comment

lakenheath: What do I do that I have so much time on my hands? Well lets see: I am not yet fifty. I have a son who does most of the work on the farm and in my oil and gas service business. I have a terminal disease that will kill me within ten years. I actually put in less than 50 hrs. a week.
        By the time I was your age I had drilled on big rigs, I'd roughnecked on service rigs, I'd worked in a packing plant and I'd made a lot of money and three kids! I came home to my inheritance(only son) and I worked like hell. The only thing is once you've seen the money it is tough to settle for less. Thus I sort of fell into the oil service business and it has been pretty decent. Much better than farming!
        But I come from four generations of farmers here and a lot more back in England/Scotland. My time will end and I hope my son makes millions selling this land. And my grandchildren(two) can live a life of ease if they so choose. The Canadian dream?

Comment

The Canadian dream, I hoped for it myself a long while back. Tried big farming and small farming, tried ranching and just keeping a few head.
          Finally came to the conclusion I loved it all and hated it all.

One day I woke up and decided I had, had enough(no pun intended). Decided to start doing things that make us happy not rich. Now I have a few cows(you can have them tonight it's to damn cold for a midnight check), kids keep some sheep and horses. I got me a good job in the agricultural sector.

Happiness thats the "Canadian Dream"

Comment

Darn I hate confessions, but here goes I started young slept late, but with the right woman, worked her hard found out she could be hellish efficient so I found her another job but she needed more courses. So I told her I'd cut the lawn while she studied. It wasn't a hardship cuzz I moved fast in my NIKEs' got done quick then I ambled over to the fridge I kept out on the sunporch grabbed a square of beers and went fishing in my New Duramax Diesel took along my 240 Winchester to do some yotee shootin on the way to the fishing hole. Doc told me to take it easy no lifting any of the that heavy IKEA furniture he said save yourself boy you gotta be able to push that Joy stick on that new front wheel assist JD when your feeding those six tax steers. When darn it anyway I woke up the dream was over I was still in Sk. my 30 year overnight success was unravelling. I guess I better get over to the Rink and coach the kids that are dropped off by aliens I guess cause I hardly get to meet any parents as they are all like busy plotting the overthrow of us slovenly guys. You must have met some of us when you take a day (morning) off to bury your relatives we make sure the heats on in the church and hall, the dumb salesman get's pulled out of the ditch and the mother inlaw get's the sandwichs' made and delivered to the church. Yea she's pushing 80 but remember my wife can't do it. Not with her two JOBS.

Comment

Linda: I think you understand that farming is not all about profit. You could take your money and put it in just about any other business and do a lot better. So why do we do it?
              Well quite frankly I've never liked going round and round in a tractor! And I could never see myself tied down to the daily grind of milking cows or working in a hog barn.
              But I like to be outside. I like to see all the things in nature. The young bluebirds sitting on the fence, the coyote pups playing by the den. I like checking for weeds and looking for arrowheads. I simply love growing tomatoes and peppers. I like seeing the barn kittens at play and having the farm dogs greet me in the morning. I like building things in the shop and I like trying new things...like berries! Plan to plant one thousand trees this year.
              So there is my profit! It works for me. Right now the cattle business is an utter joke. And yet I still get a thrill with each calf born. And yet somehow there has to be a monetary profit in farming? We can't eat this "touchy-feely" stuff. I don't know what the solution is.

Comment

Geeze it's so quiet in here you could hear a jaw drop!

Comment

For many, the true rewards of farming do not come in the shape of folding bills in one's wallet. That doesn't pay the bills, nor does it give you much on the plate, but it does bring some peace and a sense of self-actualizaton.

To me, there is nothing better than watching my young ram lambs trying to be like the big fellas and butt heads. Here they are 3 weeks old, barely weighing in at 10 lbs each and they are fighting like the bighorns out in the Rockies.

What I do wish is that we as producers could get paid a fair price for what we do and that we have the opportunity to truly value-add.

There have been so many changes in the past 20 years and a push to bigger is better. I have to ask - has it been worth it all and has it worked for us?

Comment

Back at corporate farming. A year ago I made the argument too that no corporation in their right mind would want to take over the grass roots primary producer. Corporations, pay union wages, holiday pay, overtime, sick pay and many other things that farmers could only dream of. Even smaller companies, feedlots etc have to pay competetive wages. But what I see this past year is interesting. Two of my close neighbors have sold their 100 plus cow herds in the fall of 2001. Both are now working for large ranchers who have 350 - 600 cows. As some of you have pointed out, you are trying to farm while still working with off the farm income. In a way, you are making it easy for the large, 'corporate' farms to take over. Large herds have less overhead costs per head, therefore more efficient and profitable. But not by any measurement, necessarily better. This is the beginning of the end for the small, ecologically aware, land loving and profitable farm as they must compete with 'economy of scale'. There will always be room for hobby farms that have off farm income that support a lifestyle.

Comment

I just picked up a sweet heart deal that will put some real money in my jeans! I guess I can now classify myself as a real hobby farmer?
                      When you make the majority of your money in something else what else can you call yourself?
                      Boys, be farmers! But for crying out loud do something else, besides, if you want to have all the toys!

Comment

Cowman: congrats to you and yours but remind me if we ever meet your buying the first round.[:<{)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...