• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harper, it's a trap

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harper, it's a trap

Harper, it's a trap
    Paul Martin's handgun ban is just trick to make the Tories look like 'right-wing gun-lovers'

By Greg Weston

December 9, 2005

Paul Martin's plan to fight gang violence by banning all handguns that are essentially already banned certainly won't stop shoot-outs in the streets of our cities, but the move does set a nasty political trap to ambush the Conservatives in the current election campaign.

Handguns have long been illegal in this country in the hands of everyone but police, some security agencies, registered collectors and target shooters.

The only change in the "total ban" Martin announced with great fanfare yesterday is that collectors would have to turn in their handguns to police, or risk having to find a new hobby behind bars.

Of the 75 homicides in Toronto this year, 50 were committed with handguns, and it's a safe bet that whoever has been on the trigger-end of those shootings -- a large number are gang-related -- registered collectors are not among the usual suspects.

The Liberals claim many of the handguns used in crimes are stolen from collectors, but supporting evidence has not been forthcoming.

As for the gangsters, drug-dealers, bandits and other criminals involved in gun-toting incidents, re-banning their illegal weapons is not likely to suddenly bring peace and goodwill among hoodlums.

The issue of gun crime was bound to become front and centre in the current election campaign in the wake of a spate of horrible and highly visible street murders in the notorious Jane-Finch area of Toronto, a poor suburban ethnic neighborhood that has become Canada's most active shooting gallery.

Fact is, the overall number of firearm homicides in Canada has been declining for a number of years, and with the exception of 2005, shootings generally have accounted for something less than a third of all murders over the past decade.

So, why would the Liberals bother?

The answer is not so much to position themselves as the new law-and-order posse as it is to bait the Conservatives into a public relations trap of being portrayed as the party of right-wing gun-lovers. In short, scary.

Even by the usual standards of Martin's spin-machine, the Liberal ban on banned guns has been a masterpiece of shameless politicking.

The Liberal strategy was rolled into action Wednesday night when most major media outlets were leaked enough sketchy details to generate front-page headlines proclaiming a "total ban on handguns."

The message was the Grits are the party that would stop at nothing to end gun violence.
    It is the classic Liberal wedge issue with a bullet, intended to separate the Grits from the Conservatives along not only left-right ideologies, but also urban-rural lines.

Polls have consistently shown over the years that gun control of any kind is popular in the urban Liberal strongholds of central and eastern Canada, and decidedly less in the rural and Western regions that tend to be Conservative country.

It was no accident that Martin chose to unveil the full details at a carefully staged media event at a community centre in the heart of the Jane-Finish combat zone, flanked by Ontario attorney general Michael Bryant (Liberal), and Toronto Mayor David Miller (NDP supporter and fan of huge federal transfers to the city).

Then came the bait to draw out Conservative fury.

"Guns kill people," Martin said, clearly goading the Tories to trot out the old anti-gun control slogan: "Guns don't kill; people do."

Then another morsel of bait: Martin said the long-gun registry that the Conservatives so despise will stay, but there will be no more fees to re-register firearms. Complaints anyone?

Finally, the Liberals are leaving the final decision whether to implement a total ban in the hands of each province. Ralph Klein, come on down, and do a little screaming from Conservative country.

For his part Stephen Harper obviously smelled the trap, avoiding any tough talk on the handgun ban.

In this shooting contest, Harper may be best just to duck.

<center>****************************************** ******************</center>

To the Editor
    The Toronto Sun

Greg Weston’s column December 9th warns: “It’s a Trap, Harper”

The now infamous Liberal handgun ban is an evasion of government duty and responsibility.

The Liberals are required to give us peace, order and good government. The people of Jane - Finch and other urban areas plagued with crime do not enjoy the safety and security of the person demanded by our constitution.

Our constitution puts the responsibility for criminal law, except the constitution of courts of criminal jurisdiction, but including the procedure in criminal matters squarely on the Liberal government.

Justice Minister McLellan and Prime Minister Martin are directly responsible for the bail hearing rules that allow someone caught illegally packing a handgun to obtain bail even though he has outstanding charges, prior convictions for violence and known criminal associates.

Criminals love the privilege of being equal to honest citizens suspected of a crime until convicted, but are Torontonians as happy with being equal to the violent criminals who prey on them? Are Torontonians happy with the lenient sentences handed to criminals convicted of drug dealing, pimping and violent crimes?

Toronto has millions of decent, law-abiding hard working citizens who do not deserve to be caught in a cross-fire of criminal gangs warring over lucrative drug and sex trades.

Blaming handguns for the failure of the Martin Liberals to provide safety and security to Torontonians is a despicable evasion of duty and responsibility. They can be held accountable on January 23 at a ballot box in your neighbourhood.

WestViking

Linwood Barclay did a beautiful job in his piece yesterday that if banning handguns wins support for the Liberals, why don't they just ban everything that's already illegal from littering right up to murder? Then they should win by a landslide.

Comment

Although most farmers would not be affected by a "handgun ban", it has to get them a little nervous? When the Liberals were trying to push the national gun registry on us one of the concerns was this was the first step to confiscation of all guns? Top it off with statements like bright light Allan Rock that only the police should own guns...didn't help! Whats next?
      Now I don't know about you but I'm not really into beating an animal to death with a club or something when they need to be put down? And since the earth friendly Liberals decided suddenly farmers were too stupid to be allowed strychnine, how do you keep the gophers down without the old .22?
      But wait, who cares about the idiots outside Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa?
      Well how about you farmers in Ontario? I guess you are expendable along with all the old farmers out west!
      Let's face it the Liberals just aren't very "rural friendly" whether in Ontario, Alberta or the Maritimes! They seem to be more interested in the big cities and the ghetto gangsters who they brought into this country in the first place?

Comment

Cowman I was just talking to my Conservative MP this morning, who I've known most of my life. The "real" polls now show the Conservatives leading in almost every riding in Ontario outside of the 416 area code and give them 32% support overall compared with 30% for the Liberals and 24% for the NDP. Why do you think Buzz Hargrove is now pushing Liberal candidates? Because the NDP is picking up so many disgruntled Liberals that there's a real chance of Conservative wins even in lefty strongholds.

Comment

dalek, hope your information isn't wishful thinking on the part of the Conservatives and that they continue to take the high road and announce programs they will implement if elected. I think that the NDP are starting to look shaky, seems as though Layton is back peddling on issues on a daily basis this past week.

Comment

I think Martin is trying to "divide and conquer" with the best of them? I believe he made a mistake on this one, as it should be setting off alarm bells in every rural area in the country?
            It doesn't look good when Pauls main man, Ralph Goodale, writes a letter to a constituent stating the whole thing is basically meaningless political posturing!
            Now I have stated on this sight many times I believe wholeheartedly in seperation of western Canada, but the fact is if this darned country could be fixed so we aren't always catering to Quebec it might be able to work?
            A Liberal government means one thing...more of the same old BS! A Conservative government, with strong support in Ontario, might have the guts to stand up to Quebec and call their bluff? I certainly don't see Ontario interests being served with the system we have in place right now? The fact is this country is being run for the "golden triangle" and not the rest of us.
            I do believe the salt of the earth people in this country want a small c conservative government that treats us all fairly?

Comment

Oh, and hopefully someone in Edmonton has the duct tape handy before Ralph Klein can get his foot in his mouth!

Comment

Ralph is too busy urging his membership to give him unconditional support at the convention in April, and he isn't going to get that if he causes any more ripples in the federal election. He has offered to help Harper campaign in AB. and Harper has advised him that thanks. I guess Harper feels that its best not to have Ralph on the hustings in case he develops foot in mouth yet again !!!

Comment

Definitely smart on Harpers part to keep Ralph quiet! He has a knack for saying the dumbest things at the worst of times!
                  Personally I think Harper is handling himself very well? He is coming across as very level headed and I think he has Paul a wee bit worried? Martin was on the news bleating that Harper needs to tell Canada how he intends to solve the gay marriage thing yesterday? Sort of reminds me of a kid who is losing an argument resort to something that has nothing to do with today! Sort of "Yea that might be so, but what about what you said last year!"
                  Martin so far seems to be playing catch up everyday, trying to answer the Conservatives? The Conservatives propose something everyday and he has to respond. He definitely isn't setting the agenda in this campaign?
                  Every once in awhile he tries to bring in some negative garbage like the handgun thing and this new gay marriage thing, but it doesn't seem to be working all that well! Watch for the real dirty stuff to come out after the holidays!
                  Martin looks like a fool right now floundering around behind the Conservative bus!

Comment

not to mention the popcorn and beer fiasco that Martin's mouthpiece spewed !!!
                    I think that Harper is doing the right things, and hopefully Ralph will go away for a vacation somewhere nice and warm until after the election then he won't upset the apple cart like he did last time around.

Comment

Kind of funny, the other day some reporter asked Ralph how come he wasn't out helping the cause?
                      He replied he was afraid of getting duct taped! On thing about old Ralph, he's got a good sense of humor and doesn't think the sun rises and sets on himself.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...