• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Municipal Elections

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most governments are now run by deputy ministers and high paid administrators. Elected officials, are in fact just rubber stampers, that have little say, or the brains for that matter, to put forth anything meaningful policy. Simply put, they can spend their time getting re elected and planning how to move their careers, or that of their real estate spouse into a position to make lots of money. Politicos are photo op people that play golf, do barby, flip pancakes, and smile for the local paper!

Comment

municipal governments don't have Deputy Ministers, but they are required to have a CAO. If the CAO is allowed to run the show, then the council isn't doing their job. In my years in politics I have never flipped pancakes, any photo in the local paper was one that I provided them and I didn't have a spouse in the real estate business !!
      I would suggest that urban politicians are much more likely to be doing the pancake circuit, vs rural ones, and quite often when urban councillors and aldermen do publicity stuff it is because some group or organization requested them to.
      I agree that there are those who only think of getting re-elected, that is why they don't want to make tough decisions.

One of the most vocal individuals in our municipality, who used to attend council meetings on a regular basis to give us all hell during ratepayers concerns was invited to pick up nomination papers and run for council, his response was that he could NOT afford to take the cut in pay !!! ( of course, one of the things he complained loudest about was how much councillors got paid !).

Comment

coppertop, I said most governments and politicos not all governments and politicos. Guess you are one of the exceptions to to the rule, straight talking, hardworking, honest politico, who gets elected on the basis of merit alone. You should give the others, some seminars on how to be a good guy. Wow, I thought your species was extinct, but now stand corrected, apparently, unless you are just some kind of forthright bully type politico, dictator, in hiding which by the way, is the worst!!!!!!!!

Comment

I was the only female on a council of men, so my ability to be a bully was extremely limited !!

I do know many rural politicians who are honest, are there for the right reason and whose ratepayers appreciate the contribution they make. In the everchanging mosaic of politics, it is mandatory that municipal politicians keep themselves informed about any and all changes that take place in legislation, land use issues etc.

Not too many bullies remain in politics, they usually shoot themselves in the foot with their ego !

Comment

coppertop, How about former PM J.C., he was a bully that hung around for a while, if my memory hasn't failed me! How about R.K., he tooo was a bit of a bully if, I am not mistaken. How about B.C. primer, G.C., bully. How about Newfie, D.W. bully. You might want to reconsider, your sincere, reasonable, caring, pro-active, dedicated style, otherwise you're days may be numbered

Comment

Actually, I like Danny Williams style, nobody messes with Newfoundland !! He looks after his own. Ralph was a bully to some extent, and we are now seeing the aftermath of the Klein years ! If I remember correctly Joe faded off into the sunset, which is what I said most bullies do.

If I have to be a bully to be a long serving politician, then I don't want or need the job. I was brought up by the Golden Rule and it's still good enough for me !!

Comment

It's interesting to listen to the various candidates now talking about how "environmentally conscious" they've become. Looking at some of the incumbents track records over the past 3 years, environmentally friendly isn't the word I would use to describe their actions.

In fact, some of the decisions have sort of flown in the face of previous decisions that were made. The *****on reservoir (aka Gleniffer Lake) is an excellent example. When the dam was put in on the Red Deer River in the early 80's, I understand that there was to be no permanent structures around the reservoir because of fluctuating water levels, bank stability etc. Now, it would appear that development is okay because they are calling it a lake and not what it truly is, which is a reservoir. Funny how things can change with time.

What we need is for AENV to enforce the rules based on what something is, not what it is called.

Funnier still how some canadidates jump all over the issue of the day in order to get some votes.

Comment

I attended a function in our local town last evening. There were municipal candidates from several towns in attendance. I spoke to most of them, and they said that campaigning door to door is quite an experience. The estimate was that 50% of the people they speak to are not aware there is an upcoming municipal election, and another 25% don't care !!

Comment

coppertop, Given the stats that you posted, it should be easy to win the local popularity contest this year. I recently spoke to our local county councilman, who won because nobody else interested in the job. What a total no mind, pompous knothead, who has no vision. He likes the job, because of the added income, it gives the farm. He always votes the way that the local administration suggests, go to the meetings, get them over with, go home, clueless in AB, whatever!!!! Who cares, answer, NOBODY!!!! This is AB where the PC party dominates and knows what is best for all of us, blah, blah, blah!!!

Comment

Municipal councils must operate outside of provincial party politics.

There are people who feel that municipal councillors are only there for the money etc., but they are also responsible for decisions regarding the huge tax base of both rural and urban Alberta. Pretty scary when you think that only 25% of the elligble electorate avail themselves of the opportunity to vote !!!

Comment

Yeah remember the old motto, "We don't care how you vote, just get out and vote" That was about a goofy as it can get! Democracy is a funny thing at the best of times, besides a popularity contest, corruption and fraud play a part in electing the right person for the job. Just look South to America, and their attempt to bring democracy to the Mid East, apparently even where they don't want it, what a noble idea. Eastern Canadia also knows about demonocracy!

Comment

Anyone who does not become informed before they vote in any election is a total idiot in my opinion.

Comment

coppertop, So the motto should read, "If you are informed, we don't care how you vote, just get out and vote". Somehow, that new phrase, just seems to have way to much bull in it. Guess that is the way politicos think about things? Good luck today, unless you were already acclaimed. From the sounds of it, everyone would be afraid to run against you since you know so much and are sooooo dedicated and you indicate that you are totally unselfish!!!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...