• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

green peas seed, ouch!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

green peas seed, ouch!

If you don't already have your green pea seed locked down with price, you maybe in for a very big surprise. See Stats Pub. quoting buyers up to $15.00/bus for greens today. Imagine what seed will be worth especially Certified!

There is very little left, the seed price will be higher yet for the last few bus left.

Comment

furrow, I've heard $10.50 new crop(10 days ago), have you heard better?

Comment

Shit, i wish the price would stay down to keep me away from them,LOL, I kind of enjoyed my Canola, Wheat rotation in 2012, and am planning for it in 2013(but 55% wheat not Canola)

Comment

boarder - not yet. Green peas I would not be in any rush yet. I still think ac will be very limited on seed avail.

Comment

I agree, no rush to contract fall green peas, but if you are at 10.50$ give me a call!

Stats Can just lowered this years green pea crop numbers, and green pea demand in most countries (India as an exception) is very ineleastic.

Seed generally runs 4$ over export, for Certified, 3$ for common, so you bet, 18 to 19$ is real but like 50cent red lentils this puppy has the potential to run for a couple of years so the buy in the sooner the better rule applies.

Go GREEN!

Comment

Up until 2 years ago I grew nothing but green peas. Got sick of yield penalty and extra production headaches for very little, if any, price premium. I knew the price would go through the roof when I got out and it did. All of you still growing greens can thank me for that!

Comment

Thanks man..lol . But you are right it was a waste of time for a few years for sure.

Comment

good call havapulse. as growers we should not lock in profitable crops ahead of time hoping to hit a homerun later in the year. hey guys dont sell any new crop feed wheat at $7.50 either.

that comment is just irresponsible!

i like when people come on here and give their opinions. especially errol, simply because he really has no skin in game like independent ag consulting companies that have to back up their bad recommendations they give to growers. heard a great line from a market analyst the other day. He said "the last 2 years the best marketing plan was not having one at all, and especially one you have to pay for" lol. just an honest comment, because guess what, no one know. there is profit and there is loss, that's it.

Comment

For the growers who we advised for free, to grow green and maple peas last year in place of yellows, we are responsible for some very decent returns from our advise. All from a very simple decision on seed.

Nothing irresponsible about suggesting to let market pay for new crop pricing, in a year when the shorts showed up in November. The gamble is based upon when you expect this number to dissappear.

Comment

westsider - not the same thing - apples and oranges man. Wheat - there will be a huge 2013 "spring " crop planted. Much higher potential of downward pricing before spring, booking now at 7.50 is a smart move if you wish to do so. Green peas - expanded acres will be very limited b/c of very tight "good" seed supply. Unless there is absolutely perfect growing weather everywhere green peas are grown - supply will remain very tight into this time next year, a good gamble for me. You do what you wish, I tend to agree with haveapulse on this one.

Comment

The question should be, is $7.50/bushel for feed wheat profitable? If yes, sign some up, and request and Act of God clause in the contract. This action suggests you have started selling your new crop for a profit. Going forward if price increases you make more profit. If price decreases, then you will have to wait.
                        If $7.50 for feed wheat is not profit on your farm then do not sign up and consider growing a crop that present you with better odds of making a profit.
                        I have been farming 24 years and I have NEVER sold hard red milling wheat for $7.50/bushel. NOW a farmer can sign up $7.50/bushel for feed. Minimal dockage, minimal protein discounts, feed grade is feed grade.
                        In a previous post some one used a very good phrase "tripping over dollars looking for nickels."
                        Its very sad when a farmer does not know his cost of production. He will never know when to sell for profit.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...