• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much Hp to pull a protill ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much HP

Danny, I can't say anything about compaction with these machines, that remains to be seen on my farm. Last year I hired a nrighbor to vertical till 480 acres for us to level out sprayer ruts more than anything. Sure as hell dried everything out! As to your horsepower question , several years ago I got a Demo Salford 4100 vertical tillage machine. It was very wet that fall , and I could only pull this 30 foot machine to 8 mph with my 330 TJ New Holland. Just bagged it. 8 mph was not fast enough for the discs to clear And mud stuck so bad that they would roll up 3 inches wide and wouldn't penetrate. My neighbour had a 550 hp Cat tracked tractor and pulled his 50 foot Salford easily to 11 mph. Mud flew off the discs great and penetrated to 4 inches deep!

Comment

How much HP

Danny, I can't say anything about compaction with these machines, that remains to be seen on my farm. Last year I hired a nrighbor to vertical till 480 acres for us to level out sprayer ruts more than anything. Sure as hell dried everything out! As to your horsepower question , several years ago I got a Demo Salford 4100 vertical tillage machine. It was very wet that fall , and I could only pull this 30 foot machine to 8 mph with my 330 TJ New Holland. Just bagged it. 8 mph was not fast enough for the discs to clear And mud stuck so bad that they would roll up 3 inches wide and wouldn't penetrate. My neighbour had a 550 hp Cat tracked tractor and pulled his 50 foot Salford easily to 11 mph. Mud flew off the discs great and penetrated to 4 inches deep!

Comment

Have a couple of fields that are a quarter to half bull rush sloughs that have dried enough to get through with sprayer or disk.
        Considering spraying to help take out green followed by burning and disking.
        Depends how have much dry weather we get.
        Sloughs were cropped for consecutive years in the past.
        Worth the gamble?

Comment

Hoppy....reclaiming sloughs can be a labour of love. You can go through a lot of work only to have them fill up again with run-off. If the trend is dry it might be worth the effort. Assess the chance of them filling by how big an area runs off into them

Willows can seemingly show up from no where in haysloughs that had been cut for decades.

Tough call. Good luck.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...