• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPS for precision spraying?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS for precision spraying?

With the new guidance systems capable of 1" accuracy can we spray only the crop with fungicide/foliar fertilizers?

We usually spray with 110 degree nozzles overlapping to get 100% coverage? With a cereal crop on 12 or 14" spacing (low disturbance like a seedhawk/master or other narrow opener) could we spray with 30 degree nozzles on 12 or 14" spacing (to match the drill) and cut rates while still getting the full rate on the plant?

I have been told that some foliars work best at the 4-6 leaf stage, there is a lot of ground showing at that point. Even the fert that is surface applied (misses leaves) will be much closer to the root zone and less available to mid-row weeds?

If we can use a smart hitch for seeding (seedmaster?) could we do the same for spraying?

I know this wouldnt work for herbicide but foliar micro's and fungicide?

(When I say we I mean we the farmer as right now I use a sprayair but am thinking about upgrading to autosteer and if this would work it would help justify the $$$)

Ron

Even though the seed rows are 12 or 14 inches apart, the plant stems and leaves are going to grow into the empty spots somewhat as they try to harvest the light.

I think that you will save more money by buying a sprayer that is capable of doing variable rates. You could use a computer program for your field that will turn the fungicide on or off in sections of your field that are more prone to disease.

Could also vary your fertilizer rates. Cut back on the spots that normally lodge and the hill tops if they are eroded soil and increase your fertilizer and seed count in the areas of the field that have the best production.

With higher costs for all imputs, I can see variable rate spraying and seeding becoming an important part of the farm. The hardest part is figuring out which data to use in generating your variable rate map!

Comment

I like the way you guys think. Ron, did you try your 30
      degree nozzles on 12-inch rows? And poorboy, have
      you found mapping software and data collection tools
      that give you the accuracy you need?

Comment

If I remember correctly, in southern AB on irrigation the dry bean growers use a 3 nozzle sprayer to spray fungicide on each row - top and sides. This gets fungicide on underside of leaves and in the canopy of the plant where disease forms.

I realize this doesn't address your issue but they have taken a more targeted approach to applying fungicide.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...