• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any weed problems with Narrow Leaved Hawk's' Beard?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any weed problems with Narrow Leaved Hawk's' Beard?

Here is some information on a strategy to control this troublesome weed.
    <a href="http://www.farms.com/FarmsPages/ExpertsBio/tabid/293/Default.aspx?NewsID=19667&authorid=45"target="blan k">Click Here for the rest of the story on Farms.com and to listen to some online audio thoughts from John Kotylak.</a>

How have you controlled it if you have it in your fields.

Thanks,

I never checked out the link but we have had it here shows up occationally on min till land that has not been post harvest sprayed, fall control is best.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Is it a problem weed for you and if so, how did you control it?

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

we have had problems with it in the past always used prepass or express in the spring or spectrum in crop. However since we started spraying prepass in fall as late as possible, we noticed way less problems with nlhb, dandelions, and cleavers. I think express would work just as well and am interested in trying express pro this fall. My opinion is timing is everything and we have been surprised with how late in the fall you can spray a frost at night is not necessarily the end of spraying we are goin till mid oct or till we get atleast -10, but if conditions improve we keep spraying. We are definitely finding better control with this approach than spring app.

Comment

Interesting Macdon, do you use your prepass or express without the glyphosate?
          Prepass comes with but I wonder if can save the glyphosate for to spray another time and perhaps the prepass or express will controle the weeds just as well. Purhaps they would need an adjuvant.
          Joe NLHB has been controled here as far as I know by just using roundup in the fall. Like Macdon says express or prepass with the roundup would be hotter for sure.

Comment

I found it especially bad after peas for some reason. I agree with others fall control is best but as a last resort frontline 24d will smoke it in a wheat crop. or refine with some 24d thrown in for good measure.

Comment

Express pack has been the best in crop chem I've ever seen for controling nlhb and it's dirt cheap but you miss alot of other stuff so...But early control is key, late fall chem with residual or get it first thing in the spring with express and glyphosate. Prepass isn't as strong on it.

Comment

I liked the link with the voice clip.

Comment

There are people out there that believe that when weeds such as NLHB become a problem it is directly related to a unhealthy soil. Weeds can thrive in such soils and actually survive were no other plant can such as cereals or canola ect. Look into NLHB and see what soils this plant likes then test your soils were the weed is growing to see if there are anything in common. Most guys say weeds just seem to show up were they never grew before, maybe thats because the soil has slowly declined to a point were now it is a perfect growing condition for these weeds. remeber there are millions of seeds in your soil just waiting to germinate, what sets them off to start growing and some of theses seeds can remain in your soil for years and years just waiting for the perfect time to show up.

It's just a thought !!!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...