• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop report on a Thursday! Week 2.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent decrease would be nice but till the guys paying 150 and up are gone it won’t change. Once the investors leave the building that will happen till then it won’t.

Comment

Fert is alot higher than those numbers, seed are we using our own everything because canola and peas or anything other than barley, chem is way short if you have a crop grasshoppers aphids etc spring burnoff, repairs, trucking, insurance and thats an issue our sask party should be talking about alot more than carbon tax when your insurance cost is way more than some of your inputs to seed and you have no coverage thats an issue, and what about booze so you forget how stupid you are to do something that has very little probability of being positive?
      and what about fuel?
      Last edited by the big wheel; Apr 12, 2024, 07:00.

Comment

Things look very positive on this farm. Grain prices have fallen some. If there is a big crop the prices will fall even more and the games will begin with no bid,or full/booked until….. . Like Gary Zimmer said “If I was president of the US I would make nitrogen fertilizer so expensive that you would learn to farm without buying it “. This farm is learning how to grow better crops on less fertilizer. It will require more management. Simple questions in buying inputs. “Does it kill biology,or help it? If it messes up biology start looking for a better replacement.

Comment

Guys used to farm with min amount of fert those where called mixed farms. 75 bucks for n. I must be on pretty bad dirt you can add about another $75 for phos,pot,and sulphur.

Comment

Originally posted by goalieguy847 View Post
            I have some wildly different input numbers...
            Axial will be 22 on its own.. a nice chem like stellar is 7 ....
            our rents arent that bad.. and 75$ fert covers 100 lbs actual N...

Give or take

In all seriousness, has anyone gone back to their landlords and discussed a rent decrease? I talked to one recently and they are actually open to the idea. We increased big time when crop valuws went up but when i showed them these numbers...
            I asked them..
            if i pay you 100$/ ac.. thats more than i can make if i have a good ,( 70 bushel) wheat crop.
            It kind of opened their eyes.
            70 bushel wheat crop and u can only make $100/ac. Time to phone ritchies…..

Comment

Originally posted by Herc View Post

70 bushel wheat crop and u can only make $100/ac. Time to phone ritchies…..
              Ya , it’s reality check for some
              Profit margins the next few years are about to shock a few . Especially when they don’t get 80 bus / ac .
              put 1/2 gross in their calculations with lower crop prices and god forbid lower than their average yields.
              a few actually mocked at those who were logically paying reasonable rents .
              Well , now trying to reduce rentals ?? Sorry , you made the bed ridiculing others who were reasonable . Suck it up , pay up , you cost everyone else more than necessary.
              Some think that will not happen lol
              there are some in a fantasy land , best of luck to your endeavours.
              a few of us realize that $1000 / acre gross is fantasy even in the best of areas long term .
              best of luck going forward.
              Last edited by furrowtickler; Apr 12, 2024, 21:25.

Comment

Don't blame the players for the rules of the game. Rents followed values. Demand.

Comment

Originally posted by Crestliner View Post

"REAL WORLD 2024"

50 x $7.50. $375.00
                  Less:
                  Taxes. $10.00
                  Chem $25.00
                  Fert $75.00
                  Seed. $20.00
                  Equip $100.00 (Cheap Equip!)
                  Wages $20.00
                  Land. $125.00 (Cheap Rent!)
                  etc: $25.00. (Optimistic)

Net. ($25.00 Loss)

Times are good down on the farm??
                  At $100 an acre on equipment is this both depreciation and repairs?
                  Crop and hail insurance $15-$20 an acre.
                  I estimate my cost per acre on wheat at closer to $450, canola another $30 per acre.

Comment

My only comment is each farm is different

if your land is paid off it’s different, if you have zero opp it’s different, if you farm in western sask or east it’s different, if you get rain it’s different. Lots of things change the above breakdown. To one farm 50 is great yield to others 100 is achievable but so is 10. Mother Nature is the wild card.

Comment

Wow lots of seeding this weekend and 15C and now snowing today. Hope we gets lots of wet

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                        My only comment is each farm is different

if your land is paid off it’s different, if you have zero opp it’s different, if you farm in western sask or east it’s different, if you get rain it’s different. Lots of things change the above breakdown. To one farm 50 is great yield to others 100 is achievable but so is 10. Mother Nature is the wild card.

I’d go a bit further and say if ur near the black soil zone ur in better shape than the rest. Most years, but not all…..

Alot of big crops get pulled off in the northwest….

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...