• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Monette Farms like Bernie Madoff?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fjlip View Post

Absolutely impossible to get that big in 15 years...we all wonder how? It works till it doesn't.
    That was my original reason for the post. I have no idea what is going on, but farms like Monette's are built in generations, not 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post

Clearing 10-20,000 acres in Manitoba will only add to the economy and jobs to the local community with grain land or higher productive pasture.

Seems like a ridiculous topic to be having started by bellyachers on coffee row. (Crestliner's comments sum this up perfectly.)
      I agree - this isn't a story. Isn't it strange that WP did a whole story on Monette, but didn't mention the elephant in the room. It's lazy reporting. My guess is someone emailed them upset as a lead. To do real digging to explain how he is funded and what his strategy is (besides throwing darts) is too much work.

Comment

Yes, somebody dig up details, this fast an increase is impossible.

Comment

I will say this, I would agree that it would be nice to know how how common foreign or off farm investment is in farm land these days. Lots and lots of of hearsay and speculation. Regarding the WP article, its good that all the people who signed the petition are public so the farmers up there know who doesn't mind there own business. If this was crown land I could see people having an opinion but with private land, wow. We have being doing lots of bush clean up recently and if I had the neighbor's hand me a petition to stop pushing bush, it would be astounding. As far as I am concerned those who signed the petition are probably struggling farming today and near the end, and resent those that seem to be moving ahead. Others are anti modern farming. In my area its more an issue with drainage. If you look at those that are most against almost all drainage , most are in the last generation to operate their farm. I have seen a lot of farmers who have seen the light in the last 10 years and realized that it is imperative to improve their land if they want to survive.

Comment

They need to go to Brazil and see the land clearing going on there. I was there in February and every direction you looked there was smoke.They leave the forest along the highways but go a mile past that and its cleared or being cleared.This was in the south/central area.We visited almost every country in S.A. and Brazil was far and away the most advanced in all aspects.They built a road with Chinese money to a port in Peru and now can bypass the canal which will save time and money.BRICS is alive and well.

Comment

Pushing bush or breaking sod, is there a difference? Not really.

Comment

Originally posted by TSIPP View Post
                Big difference in time and $ to complete.
                As far as upsetting coffee row consultants there probably is no difference.

Comment

spend a summer picking roots...then get back to me

Comment

Originally posted by wrongway View Post

spend a summer picking roots...then get back to me
                    I spent most of the 80s picking roots and rocks, dad broke 5 quarters of bush, it was the rocks that don’t stop coming up, oh and trust me, picking roots isn’t just a summer time job, I spent most of the winter out there picking roots, we didn’t have any snow and used a pick to dislodge the roots and rocks.

Comment

I wasn’t really talking about time or money, it’s coffee row, worried about the environment or nature or something.

Comment

Anyway picking roots and rocks was a very labour intensive process, at least the Oliver 88 had a bucket we could toss the rocks and roots into, in 86 dad bought a new degelman stone picker, pulled it with the 560 international , a cab and radio I would have killed for but it was all open air with the dirt and bugs, picking stones was my job for a few years until it was all put back to grass.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                          Yes, somebody dig up details, this fast an increase is impossible.
                          That was the point of me making this post, I figured someone may have heard rumors or knew something. It seems like the consensus is on speculation of foreign money. These things have a way of bubbling up, but finding out will likely take many years and possible government inquiry at some point

Comment

Screw the independent farms. You are subsidizing Monette .

Comment

Are you suggesting volume discounts are a new thing?

Comment

This could be on a whole new level. If you bypass the dealers , where are they going to get profits to keep operating? Service, parts etc. Or the price of purchases for smaller operators like SF3. Apparently sales went through dealers, so Deere took the hit to gain market share. What does that say about the equipment mark up?
                                Last edited by agstar77; Apr 10, 2024, 08:03.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...