• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Monette Farms like Bernie Madoff?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know a pretty good farmer that seems to feel threatened by farms that do things differently than them. When I look at the history of great plains agriculture, there have been times when very big operations existed. Almost all of them evolved into something different or disappear outright. I try to keep focused on our own numbers and business plan and not look over the fence too much. This may be 1982 all over again and when the numbers don't add up will the big guys accept sub par profits for several years or will investors force change ? At the end of the day there are many ways to keep the lights on and the farm moving forward. The best buying opportunities came when things look the poorest.

Comment

Small minds. I haven't seen Monette's operation up close for maybe 10 years now but when I did see it he grew crops. He paid attention to the details and absolutely wasn't afraid of work. The last time I talked to Darrel he was hanging the bag on the bagger for one of his harvest "pods". The one time I talked to Ponch he was running the sc****r (this forum software is so effing stupid - I can't believe it edited that word) to get ready for one of the bin yard expansions. The difference from Pike/One Earth/et al is owner involvement and work ethic. Maybe it will all blow up one day but maybe some of those of you who are so jealous of Monette will blow up one day too. MYOB.

Comment

Originally posted by bobofthenorth View Post
        Small minds. I haven't seen Monette's operation up close for maybe 10 years now but when I did see it he grew crops. He paid attention to the details and absolutely wasn't afraid of work. The last time I talked to Darrel he was hanging the bag on the bagger for one of his harvest "pods". The one time I talked to Ponch he was running the sc****r (this forum software is so effing stupid - I can't believe it edited that word) to get ready for one of the bin yard expansions. The difference from Pike/One Earth/et al is owner involvement and work ethic. Maybe it will all blow up one day but maybe some of those of you who are so jealous of Monette will blow up one day too. MYOB.
        If you think they are legit I challenge you to go do exactly what they are doing. Let us know how it workd out for you. Small minds. LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by countryguy View Post

If you think they are legit I challenge you to go do exactly what they are doing. Let us know how it workd out for you. Small minds. LMAO
          The broader issue here is how much has laundered money increased the cost of production for small and medium sized enterprises? The other major problem is that gubmint sponsored inflation continuously bailing out mal investment has also lead to an increased cost base which is untenable in the competitive environment we now face. People getting poorer can't sustain high land values. Heard yesterday about the high price of beef pricing many people out of that market.

Comment

I d like to know if it is true that farms of this size basically submit their claim info and
            the claims are completed basically on line no adjusters no accountability. Its been stated by more than one crop insurance employee these size farms there is no way to audit
            or verify anything. And is it also true that this is where 90% of the agristability payouts go? Not saying anything improper is going on here but that certainly would be a piss off
            to all of us getting nothing out of agristability in any years good or bad and these guys
            sustained because of the incompetance and of course possible corruption within the program itself if the rumours are true .

Comment

Nothing saves you more money than a good accountant….

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                All I know is the CEO, president , CFO on this farm sits in the cab of machinery and earns very little. Just saying
                I hear Bill Gates also sits in the cab and earns very little. Just a regular guy

Comment

Some how it made sense to silage their canola crop rather than run their X9s over it. After breaking tame pasture that couldn't support 3 pairs per quarter.
                  That would've been some expensive canola to silage

Comment

Originally posted by bobofthenorth View Post
                    10 years ago they were a much smaller operation, there is no way he can be doing that on all his farms. Logistically it'd be impossible, so he has to be more hands off which would leave room for leakage on ops.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post

The broader issue here is how much has laundered money increased the cost of production for small and medium sized enterprises? The other major problem is that gubmint sponsored inflation continuously bailing out mal investment has also lead to an increased cost base which is untenable in the competitive environment we now face. People getting poorer can't sustain high land values. Heard yesterday about the high price of beef pricing many people out of that market.
                      As another poster astutely said, it will be hard for Canadian farmers to compete selling a commodity that is priced globally when the input costs are so high.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                        I d like to know if it is true that farms of this size basically submit their claim info and
                        the claims are completed basically on line no adjusters no accountability. Its been stated by more than one crop insurance employee these size farms there is no way to audit
                        or verify anything. And is it also true that this is where 90% of the agristability payouts go? Not saying anything improper is going on here but that certainly would be a piss off
                        to all of us getting nothing out of agristability in any years good or bad and these guys
                        sustained because of the incompetance and of course possible corruption within the program itself if the rumours are true .
                        They would need to list their prior year yields. So you are saying that a large farm could lie about their prior year yields, overpay insurance, and it wouldn't matter on the crop production. Totally possible, but I don't think someone could get the large amount of money behind him like Monette has based on that strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by BighatPete View Post

That would've been some expensive canola to silage
                          They own a lot of cattle but it's hard to say if that silaging made sense. NOMB. Bought out Remington ranch in Saskatchewan and converted it to grain production. They also picked up a small lot near Swift Current that was Primrose. Just things we notice in our travels. No opinion as to whether it makes sense or not. My guess is the guys selling to them made out very well.

Comment

They own a lot of cattle but it's hard to say if that silaging made sense. NOMB. Bought out Remington ranch in Saskatchewan and converted it to grain production. They also picked up a small lot near Swift Current that was Primrose. Just things we notice in our travels. No opinion as to whether it makes sense or not. My guess is the guys selling to them made out very well.
                            Are they doing branded beef?

Comment

My cousin who I’d consider successful says do one thing and do it well. Probably more applies to an owner operator situation but seems once you stick your irons in fires you don’t have full understanding or time to get to better know and manage you don’t do as well. Even a mixed farm you’re not going to do a great job of both. There’s always something neglected. I admire the Monette brothers for being able to operate the going concern as good as they are.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                                My cousin who I’d consider successful says do one thing and do it well. Probably more applies to an owner operator situation but seems once you stick your irons in fires you don’t have full understanding or time to get to better know and manage you don’t do as well. Even a mixed farm you’re not going to do a great job of both. There’s always something neglected. I admire the Monette brothers for being able to operate the going concern as good as they are.
                                The “going concern” is run by numerous going concernies who report to the head honchoes.
                                There is absolutely no way these boys could actually know what’s going on without several hundred on lookers. Lots of ears and eyes are on the look out there. Chem reps would be on speed dial 24-7 along with an array of other highly educated people.
                                Couldn’t imagine ….. wouldn’t want to!!
                                If that’s what it takes to survive they can come visit me anytime.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...