• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperatures Too Cold to Report???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Vehicle batteries are not made like they used to Blathin , thatā€™s for sure .
    I lost count of how manny batteries we have gone through at the farm the past few years . Most only last 2-3 years it seems .
    Had original batteries in the one 9270 case tractor for nearly 20 years .
    frustrating when you see the advancements is batteries for power tools and nearly everything else .
    I'm not so sure it is the batteries fault. Batteries in older non electronic equipment still seem to last just as long as they ever did in my experience.
    The 9270 likely had no parasitic draws.
    The average modern car has countless computers creating a constant parasitic draw when not in use. The headlights stay on every time you shut the key off, so do the interior lights, and radio. Constantly cycling the battery slightly below full charge. A battery only has a finite number of draws. Drawing a battery dead 3 times is the limit most times. Drawing it down to 95% a few thousand times seems to be the equivalent.

Comment

The same tractor , ā€œnew batteriesā€ only lasted 4 years .
      agree with what youā€™re saying for sure , but even batteries on augers donā€™t last even 1/2 as long as they used too with zero parasitic draw .

Comment

My wife's 2018 Rav4 has a smaller battery in it than her old car had, which was a 2012 rav4. The motor is the same. (both 2.5L 4 cyl) I may have to change it before next winter again just to be on the safe side. It seems to be coping with cold spell but it did give some signs of the beginning of the end already. This is the second battery in it.

Comment

Seems so, had 2005 batteries in a MFWD, used lots in winter, lasted till 2022. Just factory JD batteries. Parasitic discharge KILLS. Disconnects on everything is the answer.

Duramax 8 years on batteries so far. Electronic tester says about 60% state of health.

Comment

We use one of these on all batteries , sometimes it takes two days sometimes 10 days to turn green , sure extends battery life . Batteries that come with new Toyotas ar NFG tho

Comment

We use a two amp

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                My wife's 2018 Rav4 has a smaller battery in it than her old car had, which was a 2012 rav4. The motor is the same. (both 2.5L 4 cyl) I may have to change it before next winter again just to be on the safe side. It seems to be coping with cold spell but it did give some signs of the beginning of the end already. This is the second battery in it.
                Both new Toyotas we had were changed on warranty (Venza)

Comment

The old 98 Chevy with the 6.5 diesel, chop truck for feeding cows was plugged in all night and would not start, not even close so I stuck a booster pack on each battery and it spun over like it was a hot July afternoon,
                  Noco 4250 amp X2 help feed the cows pretty often.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                    Seems so, had 2005 batteries in a MFWD, used lots in winter, lasted till 2022. Just factory JD batteries. Parasitic discharge KILLS. Disconnects on everything is the answer.

Duramax 8 years on batteries so far. Electronic tester says about 60% state of health.
                    That desulphator charger we have will bring it back to 100%

Comment

For the cost of a $40 battery tender every single piece of equipment gets one left on all winter. Ive tried em all I still like the 750mah waterproof battery tender brand. Batteries sulphate when they get drawn down, freeze and there is a good chance they are shot, even if not froze everytime they are recharged a little lead is lost, eventually shorting internally. Then they are shot. Lead acid should never be discharged more than 50% even deep cycle. I rarely have battery problems, keep em charged. Also keep em clean and battery covers are your friend, dirty, wet and snow covered batteries will short slightly between the terminals. I don't care if its a 24k gold top optima if thats happening it will go dead quick.
                      Last edited by biglentil; Jan 15, 2024, 13:33.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post

That desulphator charger we have will bring it back to 100%
                        Interesting, will try that...do we need 5 amp? 1,2,5,10 amp listed.

Used a screen shot converted to jpg, png seems to post tiny blurry make pics readable guys.
                        Last edited by fjlip; Jan 15, 2024, 14:07.

Comment

We just have a 1 amp and a 2 amp
                          Last edited by Guest; Jan 16, 2024, 13:35.

Comment

Are tenders or maintainers good enough to put on a semi that sits all winter, instead of pulling the batteries and storing them in the shop.

Comment

We never do , just charge them in fall and shut master off , have to make sure all cables including computer go through switch , same with all machines ,if no switch we unhook battery cable , better for fire also

Comment

Have always charged disconnected batteries in winter, will try this Genius for waking up poor state of health ones.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...