• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jazz View Post
    Canola was like $9 bucks just a decade ago wasnt it.

Anyway, the answer to the question what would you do is going to be answered in the next while. If Trudeau gets in again and our premiers wont fight, there will be a lot of land up for rent I imagine.
    Canola was like $9 bucks just a decade ago wasnt it.
    Try 2019, not a decade ago ?

Comment

You guys don’t remember sub five dollar canola and flax in 99/00? 2.50 wheat. 1.30 barley. 1.25 oats.

Comment

What I struggle to understand is not that canola might drop to $8, as a risk taking business I am ok with that risk as it seems low and if you worry about everything you’ll never do anything. But what if canola drops to $14? You are underwater. $200 rent with current inputs would put you at $600-650 an acre to grow a 40 bushel canola crop. Can you imagine renting land where a 40 bushel canola crop at $14 has you losing $100 an acre. I’m aggressive, I’d love to grow but it definitely won’t be renting land at anywhere close to those rates.

Comment

some by swan manitoba is 200 and at least you will grow a crop

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
            some by swan manitoba is 200 and at least you will grow a crop
            Brother-in-law help combine 90 bu wht there so 90times 12 is helping the push but he was a grain buyer before retired so not every year is a banner up there either.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
              I remember getting nothing for wheat from the wheat board !
              and had to wait 9 months on it

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                You guys don’t remember sub five dollar canola and flax in 99/00? 2.50 wheat. 1.30 barley. 1.25 oats.
                i remember $.99/bu barley and we were combining it with a 2001 2388 , so not that long ago

Comment

The joy, getting a 3 bushel quota allotment.

Comment

$.86 barley $2.00 wheat (fd) $5.00 canola my memory says. Various years

Comment

You are all young guns!

1972, Canola $2, wheat $0.60, barley $0.40....4 bu CWB quota. Try live on that!

1974 all froze to sh it! Plus dried every phucking bu!

Enjoy today...climate has changed!

Comment

Originally posted by Grahamp View Post
                        What I struggle to understand is not that canola might drop to $8, as a risk taking business I am ok with that risk as it seems low and if you worry about everything you’ll never do anything. But what if canola drops to $14? You are underwater. $200 rent with current inputs would put you at $600-650 an acre to grow a 40 bushel canola crop. Can you imagine renting land where a 40 bushel canola crop at $14 has you losing $100 an acre. I’m aggressive, I’d love to grow but it definitely won’t be renting land at anywhere close to those rates.
                        $14 canola is almost a sure thing at some point in the not too distant future. There is a saying that the old top becomes the new bottom. Remember when $10 bucks was the old top, the price everyone was waiting for? Well we blew through that in Dec 2007. But we returned to it a while later, even breaking into the 9s. Well guess what, $14 was the new top, and we blew through that in Jan 2021. And as soon as there is a good crop of canola all across the prairies, we will return to the old top/new bottom of $14 or less. Now I’m no analyst, so take it for what it’s worth.
                        Last edited by SmallTimeOperator; Dec 13, 2022, 00:22.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                          A bunch of land moved here for $750-800k per Q. Work out what the financing is on that with todays rates and maybe 10% down payment.

Much more than $200 per acre.
                          In my area if someone dangled 750-800,000 per 1/4 there would be a LOT of land up for sale!

Personally I would take the $200/acre and enjoy a year or two off, update some of my machinery with someone else's $$$ and take my holiday trailer for an extended road trip in the summer.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by GALAXIE500 View Post
                            In my area if someone dangled 750-800,000 per 1/4 there would be a LOT of land up for sale!

Personally I would take the $200/acre and enjoy a year or two off, update some of my machinery with someone else's $$$ and take my holiday trailer for an extended road trip in the summer.

Just my opinion.
                            No doubt.

Comment

RB auction today.
                              There’s market value established by auction.

Comment

Originally posted by GALAXIE500 View Post

Just my opinion.
                                Assuming you own enough outright to be viable afterwards.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...