• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GM faulty piston rings in 5.3V8

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
    Have had a few 5.7l gm’s over the years, and some 350’s and a 427, and pretty much had ford beat for years on simplicity and reliability in my opinion. Had a 5.3 in a 2011 and can’t say I disliked the engine but it wasn’t a 5.7. Far as I’m concerned gm started going to hell pre 2008 and never recovered.
    If you're a fossil like me, you'd know that GM outnumbered all other gas truck engines by at least 10 to 1. And for very good reasons.

No it's not marketing, but neither is it climate, the vid, or politics. And no Chuck.
    Refreshing. And informative.

Comment

Keeps the GM techs employed..
      Not only the 5.3..

Comment

GM’s Piston slap, oil consumption, bent pushrods…..sounds like deere has competition for worst engines…..

Comment

Originally posted by Herc View Post
          GM’s Piston slap, oil consumption, bent pushrods…..sounds like deere has competition for worst engines…..
          Humorous how Deere and Detroit 4 cycle engines were jointly designed together… the last engine I would have on this farm is a Detroit … the school of hard knocks was expensive… on an 8v92… we shut down and trailered to a Detroit shop… because we were sure it was piling up …but hadn’t yet…

Detroit put it on their DYNO… blew a rod through the side of the block… in 5 minutes on the DYNO…then gave zero allowance to fix it.

Long memory… I am like an Elephant… forgot forgot about that till …Herc…

New Truck warranty 30 years ago…was completely different (virtually nonexistent) to that Deere Agricultural warranty… perhaps somewhat better now… Cummins was the best engine warranty back then… Cat… a whole other story… not much better on rebuilds… truck engines old and new…are crazy expensive to keep going… post 2008 DEF technology is insane…

Interesting new ethanol conversions are coming… 1.7x the fuel burn… but fuel cost is less… no nox or particulate treatment needed… interesting technology is coming to convert our Diesel engines… without going electric… saw this on RFDTV

Very interesting solutions right around the corner…
          Ethanol, NH3, biodiesel, Hydrogen… in combination with hybrid electric combined systems…

Cheers

Comment

Tom, Series 60 Detroits run forever.
            Green leakers were throw away motors in the later configurations.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
              Tom, Series 60 Detroits run forever.
              Green leakers were throw away motors in the later configurations.
              I’ll second that. They threw a hail mary with the 60 series and they won. On the verge of going tits up to becoming the best engine ever built. Now apply that same recipe to the next one, cause the DD15/16 are back to their usual garbage…..

Comment

Gosh, in that 8 - 22 yr range.
                You have to be so careful.
                A lot of junk made. Big transition.

Comment

Started out with a 1976 chev with a 350
                  Incredible pickup that went and went with very few issues.
                  Next was a 1986 with a 305
                  Piece of junk that was really unreliable, hard on fuel and gutless
                  Next was a 2002 with a 5.3
                  Really good vehicle that still works good
                  Now a 2010 with a 5.3
                  Lots of oil pressure problems and never ending check engine lights for numerous different problems.
                  The first one when I was young kind of sold me on GMC but some of the others were garbage.

Comment

Have a ‘98 305, tons of miles runs like a scalded cat. A 2012 5.3, 160K, changed oil as recommended, checked it when I saw this notice, almost time to change oil again, pulled dipstick yesterday, 1/8inch from full, haven’t added since last change. Guess take the $2700 and keep on keeping on.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                      Started out with a 1976 chev with a 350
                      Incredible pickup that went and went with very few issues.
                      Next was a 1986 with a 305
                      Piece of junk that was really unreliable, hard on fuel and gutless
                      Next was a 2002 with a 5.3
                      Really good vehicle that still works good
                      Now a 2010 with a 5.3
                      Lots of oil pressure problems and never ending check engine lights for numerous different problems.
                      The first one when I was young kind of sold me on GMC but some of the others were garbage.
                      the updated oil filter fixed that on my 11

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...