• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Beginning of Grain Marketing Freedom in Western Canada.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
    As I am always in query about the human condition; I wonder what a study of our industry from 1880 to today would show if compared to other jurisdictions.
    Psychology and human behavior are fascinating as they drive my own decision making processes as well as a crowds, or a society.
    I have already posted extensively over the years on this topic and have matured in thought and presentation but not position. A thesis would be needed.
    I don't want to continue as it deserves a large paper. So many theories and personal observations.
    Definitely needs to be a textbook example somewhere.
    Even Chuck has given up on this page.
    And all that I hear are the words of MLK. Or Frederick Douglas if I may.
    "Don't tread on me" is a forgotten concept. There wouldn't be an Eastern politician bother attempt speaking out here if we had our own balls.
    So what customs hold us to acceptance of further treatment of the same??
    Unfrickenbelievable.
    You resemble Cottonpicker as a deep thinker 👍

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
      As I am always in query about the human condition; I wonder what a study of our industry from 1880 to today would show if compared to other jurisdictions.
      Psychology and human behavior are fascinating as they drive my own decision making processes as well as a crowds, or a society.
      I have already posted extensively over the years on this topic and have matured in thought and presentation but not position. A thesis would be needed.
      I don't want to continue as it deserves a large paper. So many theories and personal observations.
      Definitely needs to be a textbook example somewhere.
      Even Chuck has given up on this page.
      And all that I hear are the words of MLK. Or Frederick Douglas if I may.
      "Don't tread on me" is a forgotten concept. There wouldn't be an Eastern politician bother attempt speaking out here if we had our own balls.
      So what customs hold us to acceptance of further treatment of the same??
      Unfrickenbelievable.
      Goodale was the premier example of an eastern sell out to their academic vegetation... who like Pontus Pilate... knew the truth... yet turned his head... and then let let the communist mob rule... as the cultural roots of western Canadians... are strong and diverse... as anyone reading here on Agriville can't miss...

Our family has only been here [in western Canada]... 140 years... German... Polish ... Russian... Native... Metis...Scandinavian...even the folks from the USA... so many here now have deep cultural roots... instincts... buried deep in their subconcious souls... our cultural identity is therefore different than eastern Canada... The CDN railways ...all historic power brokers in a nation of prosperity and privilege...

Putin is drawing on cultural pride hundreds of years deep... few over the age of 35 cross that cultural heritage...

My Grandfather [on my mothers side... born 1899 US heritage then in 1900 immigrated] fought the CWB monopoly in 1943... Asking King George why we were required to give up half of the value of out grain... the answer then [by King George] straight to his face, in Edmonton..."You Shant have it"... We owed Europe... the farmers in western Canada,,, to be generous, a colony to supply the old country... and subservient to eastern Canada....

Interesting study Blackpowder!

Cheers

Comment

I’m thankful the monopoly is gone, a great step in marketing freedom.
        Does anyone else see how the contract system we now sell under has many similarities to the old quota system?
        We are no longer obligated to have a CWB permit book but a signed contract stating all the requirements of the purchaser is required.
        Don’t celebrate marketing freedom and forget who we are dealing with, the single desk was replaced by a handful of purchasers who are still setting the requirements ,
        I’m definitely no marketing guru but when the canola crush margins are $7.35 a bushel It rips me off, how is this much better than the old days?

Comment

I have the two books published by Don Baron , Jailhouse Justice , and Canada's Great Grain Robbery. In my opinion they are not only a great history lesson , but they are 2 books that you can't put down . I am only 53 which may be older than some on here or a lot younger , not sure , however I remember the wheat board days very well , being on both sides of the fence when I worked for SWP and was a farmer after after 5pm ,weekends , holidays, etc. with my Dad.

My opinion of the CWB , and the grain business in general was a lot different after reading those two books. I remember my Dad and a lot of other farmers in his age group saying that we were screwed by the east in every way possible out here , and it really resonates now. The last 6+ years of watching the spending spree in Ottawa while we bleed red ink out here in the west really drives it home .

If we would have had marketing freedom to sell / not sell our grain for the last 50 years , NOT the last 10 years , eastern Canada would have looked at us a lot different, maybe with some actual respect instead of fear and loathing.
          I hope the day comes when that area of this country is literally on its knees begging for us out here to help them, then maybe we will finally have some well deserved freedom in the west.

Just my opinion/ rant

Here's hoping for rain ! Take care to all still out in the combine.

Comment

Originally posted by GALAXIE500 View Post
            I have the two books published by Don Baron , Jailhouse Justice , and Canada's Great Grain Robbery. In my opinion they are not only a great history lesson , but they are 2 books that you can't put down . I am only 53 which may be older than some on here or a lot younger , not sure , however I remember the wheat board days very well , being on both sides of the fence when I worked for SWP and was a farmer after after 5pm ,weekends , holidays, etc. with my Dad.

My opinion of the CWB , and the grain business in general was a lot different after reading those two books. I remember my Dad and a lot of other farmers in his age group saying that we were screwed by the east in every way possible out here , and it really resonates now. The last 6+ years of watching the spending spree in Ottawa while we bleed red ink out here in the west really drives it home .

If we would have had marketing freedom to sell / not sell our grain for the last 50 years , NOT the last 10 years , eastern Canada would have looked at us a lot different, maybe with some actual respect instead of fear and loathing.
            I hope the day comes when that area of this country is literally on its knees begging for us out here to help them, then maybe we will finally have some well deserved freedom in the west.

Just my opinion/ rant

Here's hoping for rain ! Take care to all still out in the combine.
            Eastern Canada is a domestic consumption based production and marketing system…. Not export oriented… the basis shifts as they are short enough to need to import to fill consumption demand… exporting means lower prices… 20million people in the Great Lakes region… a huge stable demand market for eastern Canadian grain.

This economic reality… drove Canadian grain marketing policies… other than fulfilling supply agreements with the motherland … which meant western Canadian grain farmers were required to take the hit on basis costs to supply European demand at net lowest prices globally… other than third world markets globally.

Hence eastern Canadian grain marketing was restricted to a domestic North American regulatory based system to keep them reasonably priced for their supply management based economic system.

Very interesting to take the George Morris Centre CTeam course in 2006-8… and understand why Goodale sacrificed western Canadian grain growers… the Canadian Cattlemens fully backing Ottawa policies of the day… with the Pools complicity… rail being a Canadian nationalized asset… CN literally being run and funded by the Federal Government.

As Blackpowder indicated… a complex unique western Canadian history…

Blessings and Salutations world war 2 is finally over…

Just in time for WW3?

Cheers

Comment

Mega thanx those who fought on the front lines of Farmers for Justice and Western Wheat Growers, you made a BIG difference to the lives of all wheat, barley and even back to oats producers. Never turn your back on the thieves, those Eastern eyes are waiting for their chance.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...