• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100s Of Dead Cattle Hit By Kansas Heatwave

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TSIPP View Post
    It wasn’t that long ago some nature reserve in SW Saskatchewan had more than 40 dead cows, government insisted it was lightning but the vets said the cows didn’t have water, I do believe the cow boss finally took the blame for not turning on the water, the guys that track lightning said no lightning in the area. I’d think a search on the net would bring it up but no dice. I thought it was on the Old man on his back nature reserve.
    i think that was around Shamrock community pasture and old wives.

Comment

Last June during our prolonged 'heat dome' the temperatures reached as high as 42C. That equals 107.6F. We very seldom get this kind of heat in our area. We were thankful for our bush pasture as I'm sure the cattle were too. We had no losses.

I imagine a corn ration of feed wouldn't help matters in those high temperatures. I would think that the feedlot guys in those hotter climes would protect their investment with artificial shade at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by nibs1 View Post
        i think that was around Shamrock community pasture and old wives.
        I do believe the Shamrock cattle deaths were from really poor water, I live about 20 miles east of old wives and we have a lot of water out this way that nothing drinks or it will die, it’s amazing when I take the drone up and look around, nice blue water everywhere but it will kill cows if that is the only water source.

Comment

I lied, no cows in the bushes I think the bushes are full mosquitoes and flies.

Comment

I heard of zero cattle lost in our heat wave last year , but know for a fact cattle died this past winter due to cold
            Last edited by furrowtickler; Jun 20, 2022, 03:41.

Comment

mustn't say that furrow, cmon for christs sake

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                My niece and her husband farm in Queensland. I believe their cattle are an angus Brahma cross. My son has been there. He said it is much different than here because the land area is so vast. Very little human contact with the cattle. Brahma genetics are required to cope with the heat.
                Yup. Mad fookers Brahma

Comment

Amazing how defensive some people become when confronted with anything which is at odds with their narrow world views and experience. Like the death of thousands of cattle from heat in Kansas; a fact verified by cattlemen, vets, and government. Instead of accepting the reported tragedy, these agrivillers deny heat could have been the cause, or because it happened in the 30’s it is not news. Some claim couldn't have been heat caused because no cattle were lost in the heat wave in Saskatchewan last year. As Jazz says it got over 30 last summer and he knows no cattle died then in all of Saskatchewan while ignoring the fact in Kansas temperatures were 40 or better. Deniers also ignore the high humidity that accompanied the heat in Kansas which increased heat risk, and was much different than the low humidity that accompanied the drought and heat in Saskatchewan last year. And they deny the fact that nighttime temperatures in Kansas did not drop significantly, so cattle could not cool at night either. No, instead of accepting cattle deaths due to heat, they question if it really happened, and share conspiracy theories.

In all my years farming, never once have I had sprayed for flea beetles; and even including the years I had drought, flooding, and hail losses, I still have a long term average canola yield over 50 bushels. So should I think everyone who claims flea beetle damage is exaggerating and spraying needlessly? Or should I accept that flea beetle losses are possible and control measures are necessary sometimes? Or should I post conspiracy theories pulled from anonymous websites claiming seed treatments are no longer any good and it is a chemical company plit to sell insecticides and canola for reseeding to the poor farmer?
                  Last edited by dmlfarmer; Jun 19, 2022, 12:43.

Comment

Take from this what you will

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	shp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	773480.
                      Last edited by jazz; Jun 24, 2022, 20:32.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                        [ATTACH]10685[/ATTACH].
                        To answer Hensley"s question - God maybe? Seeing as the video posted and which Jazz shared was taken in the Country of Georgia (not Idaho) and not this week but on August 9, 2021 and the deaths were the result of lightening. Here is the actual video taken by the farmer and the freeze frame Jazz shared is identical if you freeze the actual video at the 5 second mark.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2941506409405331

The Idaho link has been fact checked by many and all agree the shared video not Idaho. Thanks for sharing more fake news garbage Jazz
                        Last edited by dmlfarmer; Jun 25, 2022, 06:27.

Comment

Not a shot at jazz more social media.

I check check and double some things I post.

Comment

This actually occurred. Man's fault

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/09/world/australia/qatar-sheep-deaths.html

Many more suffer but don't die.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                              My niece and her husband farm in Queensland. I believe their cattle are an angus Brahma cross. My son has been there. He said it is much different than here because the land area is so vast. Very little human contact with the cattle. Brahma genetics are required to cope with the heat.
                              I spent 9 months in northern Queensland. Both in the rainforest and way up in Far North Qld. They are both strange areas compared to here. Mind boggling really. Hard to take in some of the management things they do.

Rainforest was predominantly dairy area, familiar breeds to here but issues with animals moulding due to humidity 🤯 Different management strategies and definitely couldn’t take animals from here and stick them there and expect good production.

Then the station up by Laura was dry and hot hot hot. Full Brahman herd up there. Oodles of land, thousands of head, find them by plane, move them early morning and late evening, watch out for crocodiles, type area.

Coincidentally neither of these areas are known for having cattle on full feed. Forage rations there. Couldn't imagine why…

I’m sure people here would also say that because it doesn’t happen in southern Saskatchewan, it’s a conspiracy that farms can lose large numbers of head to crocodiles as well. Life closer to the equator and tropics isn’t that much different compared to life thousands of miles from there after all.

Not surprisingly, people from these hot areas can’t conceive of things we deal with due to the cold. For example an Aussie friend asked me what breed of cattle it was that had no ears. Talk to them and they’d probably argue that a cow isn’t capable of freezing body parts off.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...