• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Russian Wheat Purchase - 50 Years Ago

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russian Wheat Purchase - 50 Years Ago

Hello Agriville, it's been a while since I posted anything.

There aren't many books that describe commodity trading or provide an account of grain markets and commodity exchanges in the hay days of big grain deals. I felt like it was time to change that.

I'm introducing a new book I just finished called Limit Up. It's a fictionalized account of the Great Grain Robbery in 1972. The story is told through the eyes of two grain traders, a Russian veteran and an American rookie trader at Cargill in the USA. I played a very minor role with Cargill in Vancouver at the time but have always been intrigued by the importance of this event in agricultural marketing history and it's impact on food prices in general.

Limit Up is based on a true story and many of the characters are real. Outsmarting the US government and global grain companies is real. The "deep throat" character is real. And the politics and industry interplay is also very real. I might have jazzed up some of the characters a bit just to make it more interesting.

The early feedback from readers is very positive. If you would like to learn more about the book you can read a Western Producer article https://www.producer.com/farmliving/novel-revisits-great-grain-robbery/?module=under-carousel&pgtype=section&i= or listen to Ed White's podcast starting at 14:35 https://www.agcanada.com/podcasts/between-the-rows/a-decades-long-volunteer-dedication-soviets-make-a-steal-of-a-deal. There is also a website - www.limitup.ca with some interesting back story info.

The story is available in paperback and ebook on Amazon and the larger ebook sites.

Thanks for your interest and hope you enjoy a little glimpse of grain trading from the 70's.

Russ Crawford
  • Reply to this Thread
  • Return to Topic List
Working...