• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada lost 200,000 jobs in January

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Partners View Post
    Was that the Melfort BP?
    Yes. Locked it up and walked away.

More than a few BP's shutting down.

We used to go out a least once a week, more of we went to the city.

Don't do either anymore.
    Just hermit up at home.
    Broke the habit.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
      This. I am actually shocked more people havent just turned the keys in and walked. After the last 3 months there cant be a solvent restaurant left.
      Government wage subsidies etc plus loans make them zombies. They are dead but still open on hope.

Reminded of BSE for the cattle guys. Told lies at the bank and they nodded thier head because they didn't want to be stuck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
        This. I am actually shocked more people havent just turned the keys in and walked. After the last 3 months there cant be a solvent restaurant left.
        Know of 2 small town bar/taverns that have close up over winter as well, that’s a tough business in the best of times. No doubt there will be more. Another local restaurant cutting hours and take out only. Even in cities at fast food joints seems like barely anyone having a sit down meal. See more ordering takeout and sitting in vehicle to eat so is that result of no vax pass or just people “distancing”.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
          Yes. Locked it up and walked away.

More than a few BP's shutting down.

We used to go out a least once a week, more of we went to the city.

Don't do either anymore.
          Just hermit up at home.
          Broke the habit.
          and when have you ever saw a BP go down before ?

Comment

Originally posted by blueversi View Post
            Know of 2 small town bar/taverns that have close up over winter as well, that’s a tough business in the best of times. No doubt there will be more. Another local restaurant cutting hours and take out only. Even in cities at fast food joints seems like barely anyone having a sit down meal. See more ordering takeout and sitting in vehicle to eat so is that result of no vax pass or just people “distancing”.
            There are a few people I know that took the vax for reasons that are theirs and theirs alone. They refuse to print a "vax-pass", and so end up eating take out rather than dine in.

Comment

Originally posted by blueversi View Post
              Personally we've ate out more in the last year than we used to. Mostly because of running the kids around for sports and such as well as trying to support the locals. Prices have gone way up most places and even with less patrons the service seems to have gotten worse. There has been an ongoing trend towards staying home for years, accelerated in the last 2 yrs. I dont think it's going back. People prefer to text or email than socialize in person, and stream the latest movie over going to a theater, eat in your underwear from skip the dishes instead of going to a restaurant. Only some will survive is the cold hard truth.

Comment

Took the kids to a movie in Calgary. For 5 of us it was almost $125 with tickets and junk food. Bought the same movies a week later on Amazon for like $8 and kids have watched it 25 times since. Just cant justify that kind of a cost and restaurants are becoming similar. A meal out with kids at Montanas is over $100. Thats like 8 meals at home.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                  and when have you ever saw a BP go down before ?
                  Anyone that can afford to regularly eat at a place like BP, is still doing OK. I ate there once 20 years ago and the prices were outrageous for mediocre food.

Can only guess what it is like now.

Heck, anybody that can afford to eat out/take out multiple times a week is doing phenomenal compared to majority. Which is one part of the major disconnect in societal class today. One fella on TikTok shows how to make a dinner for 4 for under $10 in every one of his videos. He has a huge following. I am amazed how resourceful and good his recipes are.

Growing up as a kid, family might get out to eat a couple times a year. Otherwise it was making meals and leftovers at home, just like today. Lots of soups and chilis. Taught us to be frugal and do well in hard times. Maybe that's why the last 2 years hasn't really phased me - ever get short of broth at store, can always make it at home. 80's were good to us as well with high interest as we were always savers, never let the bank bend us over. Scared to death of spending any money because nothing had a return on investment like a savings account.

If I ever find a genie in a lamp, my first wish is 20% interest again.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...