• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thing Smokey the bear is hibernating. Just cleaning up some brush piles from a few years ago since the wind is reasonable finally. Trying to get this quarter ready to seed to alfalfa pasture this spring. First time I’ve done it since dad is off clearing fence lines a few miles away. Thankfully we got some snow so no risk of it running away. Going good so far just using the loader to push it up. The piles are pretty clean so there shouldn’t be much left.

Yesterday was warm enough to do the not so sexy job related to having bovines. Always seems to accumulate quicker than the will to shovel it out😎

Bought some sc****rs down around by SF that we have to drag home. Got a trucker buddy who’s game for it and didn’t run away to Ottawa thankfully. Should get them next week supposedly.

Got all the cows out in fresh corn so the chores are minimal for a while. Love that stuff🍀

Snow report………
    Had lots but is settling a lot and hilltops are baring off. Next week sounds cold again so who knows………..

Comment

I checked Calgary weather forecast, seeing some days around 10 degrees. The snow should be gone?

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
        I checked Calgary weather forecast, seeing some days around 10 degrees. The snow should be gone?
        Last 2 weeks only 2 daytime highs below zero, 12 degrees for today. Didn't have much snow to start with, patchy in the fields because of the drifts. Really a carbon copy of last winter so doesn't bode well for spring. On the bright side we're getting lots done

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
          Last 2 weeks only 2 daytime highs below zero, 12 degrees for today. Didn't have much snow to start with, patchy in the fields because of the drifts. Really a carbon copy of last winter so doesn't bode well for spring. On the bright side we're getting lots done
          We're further east than you, about 30 miles off the sask border, but yea, it's been unseasonably warm. Looks like below average cold is back next week however. Snow is by and large gone. If you dodged the few drifts that are out there, you could go anywhere you wanted in the fields with a two wheel drive truck with summer tires on no problem.

Not quite a carbon copy of last year, here... I would say temeratures have been fairly similar. Last year, we didn't have a low temperature below -12 in the whole month of January until about the 23rd. The difference is we had GOBS of snow last year. I was starting to run out of easy places to push it to, the snow machines were ripping around, and the kids were loving the snow hills! I have one small pile of snow beside the yard entrance this year and that's it.

Comment

Essentially all stored bushels are gone here as of now.

I'm thankful that I had other things to occupy my mind with rather than markets, because procastination has paid off fairly well so far. I didn't bite on any forward contracts prior to harvest, nor did I get bit by being unable to fill them. I didn't hit the absolute top, but durum and peas i managed about 95% of max, and mustard I suppose i managed 80% of what the rumor mill is saying guys are fetching right now. That mustard price was still more than 3x what I've historically averaged... Bonkers.

That said, there wasn't alot to haul... Alot of years I can put close to 25,000 km on the truck hauling grain, but this year I think its closer to 8000.

I'm thoroughly disgusted by prices for pretty much every single input this upcoming year, especially when you combine it with the insignificant snow pack, and essentially 0% moisture reserve.

I've certainly netted less on the farm with significantly better crops, but not a damned bit of that meager surplus is going to stay in my jeans this year it would seem.

Comment

Doing what we’ve been doing the past couple months with no grain to haul and not much to fix in the shop. Taking the older one out for a skate every noon hour. Some on here like to spend their whole day arguing over covid, I recommend you get out and enjoy your kids or grandkids. You’ll thank me later.

Comment

Thanks Freight shaker, for the great idea get out and spend time with family and friends it is the best thing to do. Time goes by fast, Today i found out a golf buddy from Newfoundland won't be swinging the clubs any more on Mondays with me. Taken too early just retired in September. You never know.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                  It’s. Minus. 20. Here.

Comment

Oats at P&H 10.00 for Feb..

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                      Thanks Freight shaker, for the great idea get out and spend time with family and friends it is the best thing to do. Time goes by fast, Today i found out a golf buddy from Newfoundland won't be swinging the clubs any more on Mondays with me. Taken too early just retired in September. You never know.
                      I agree! Spend time with family and friends because you never know when your number comes. Life is too short and live every day to the fullest, like it’s your last.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post

Pm sparkle socks is in hiding a Canadian who face timed him caught Covid so he’s looking himself in the cottage for five days.

The useless **** is hiding
                        no worries , they will wait for him to pop out of his ****oo clock
                        moneys there , wait it out

Comment

We all should be nice to Skippy since mental health issues they run in his family maybe he is having an episode and needs LETS TALK CANADA HELP.

The truckers want to talk but he doesn't.

That's not very nice of me and maybe he is under extreme pressure you kind of feel sorry for him because pictures out of Ontario I'm seeing big support also.

It seems it's all middle working-class people.

This whole convo isn't about covid its about the Liberal policies that the cities want and the rest of us working folks don't. It's that simple

Wheels up were gone.

Comment

As Doug Ford said "its just politics".

The problem is by the time the muddled and confused masses get to Ottawa with no apparent clear message and a lot of messages that would be highly offensive and damaging to the main Conservative opposition party, there is little chance this protest will have the desired effect and its more likely it will have the opposite effect.

BTW there are a lot of centre liberal/conservatives in the suburbs whop would swing conservative if they have the right leader and campaign. But with Ohtool about to leave the chance of the Cons coming up with a leader who appeals to moderate conservatives is unlikely.
                            Last edited by chuckChuck; Jan 28, 2022, 07:20.

Comment

Thanks for that Bullshit statement Chuck.

See your like a typical liberal.

You cant see the big picture.

We have a minority gov not working throwing shit a Canadians taxing the shit out of Canadians and mom and pop joe Canada is pissed.

Peoplekind like you can't see the big picture.

The rest of the world is saying they feel for the environment but are just doing the same as always.

Skippy has turned Canadians against each other in 6 short years.

But all good things eventually come crashing down and unfortunately, the Liberals in Ottawa cant see the uprising that's coming in the next election.

Skippy is done and Freeland isn't the answer the game is over.

This never was about a vaccine it's about the Hatred of one PM and I now can see it's not just people like me but all Canadians from one end of Canada to the other. His only supporters are new Canadians or ones like you living off your dad's farm and doing nothing your entire life that cant see it.

Were all not racist we didn't wear black face.

Those who get up go to work each day want life and skippy just wants one for him.

So preach all you want no one is listening anymore.

Comment

Took this yesterday we have a great place don’t let politicians destroy that

Waiting for next flight in calgary

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...