• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neighbours barley heating in bin last night
    Due to grasshoppers he thinks because the
    Barley is beyond dry. Combined in the heat didn’t
    Help either. And weighing 32 pounds
    maybe He’s mixed up and it’s oats. Lol

Comment

Turkeys love hoppers. We let our turkeys loose in the eighties and they hunted all day. We ended up with gynormous birds (I think around 30 pounders ) with huge breasts.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
        Could be lots of peewees this fall guys won't keep them back cus of lack of feed and water. Feedlots still like somebody else to pre condition ( do the dirty work ).
        Cheap peewees and distressed light oats. A match made in heaven.
        Or maybe hell?

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
          Neighbours barley heating in bin last night
          Due to grasshoppers he thinks because the
          Barley is beyond dry. Combined in the heat didn’t
          Help either. And weighing 32 pounds
          maybe He’s mixed up and it’s oats. Lol
          Maybe time to get the rotary cleaners set up .
          Bin it and start cleaning ASAP ?

We found that from 2000 to 2004 if takes a lot more work to harvest and store a poor crop and is a lot more challenging than a good crop .
          Grasshoppers and other green material from second growth cause a lot of issues quickly in bins .
          In the frost years it was green seed and other frozen kernels cause big trouble too.
          Either way it can be costly and just adds more work and stress even after harvest .
          Ahh farming is so easy .......
          Last edited by furrowtickler; Aug 5, 2021, 08:12.

Comment

We started silaging this week and I am somewhat hesitant to talk about the results as I was a bit surprised. In central Alberta while we haven’t had a lot of rain(just over 5 inches total), somehow our crops have held on. The first field we did was barley which yielded about 8 ton per acre. We are on second cut hay now and it is yielding about 4 ton per acre. Certainly thankful as our pastures are getting sparse.

Neighbour who drives silage truck for me was talking to a friend yesterday who farms in the Drumheller area and he was combining already, yellow peas yielding 18 bpa and some hrs wheat yielding 13 bpa.

Around here no combines rolling yet but pre-harvest apps have begun.

Comment

Ag Star 35 wheat is a disaster in some areas. Not really a barn burner. Its ok but nothing to see here.

Comment

Seed inspector coming Monday, then I will start combining on Wednesday. Normal here is mid Sept for grains. I doubt anything is seed quality.
                Grain bins I ordered in the spring going up this weekend, but will sit empty, maybe next year will be better. I figured bin pricing won’t get any cheaper so may as well commit.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                  Ag Star 35 wheat is a disaster in some areas. Not really a barn burner. Its ok but nothing to see here.
                  Did I say it was good? Average is 30 or less. This is a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                    Kevin Hursh Quote August 5th, Western Producer:

"Crop Insurance is going to be the first line of defense. This may sound insensitive, but producers not enrolled in crop insurance have no one to blame except themselves. The same is true for Agristability. The program has many flaws, but this is the magnitude of disaster where the program will kick in for many producers facing a serious income shortfall"
                    Agristability requires some good years to trigger! Many haven’t had any in the last 5 years, so it doesn’t work.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
                      Did I say it was good? Average is 30 or less. This is a mess.
                      How does it look?
                      Will it grade?

Comment

Guys are running off 12-15 bu HRS in Montana this week. I would say 30bu is a bumper compared to that.

Comment

Excellent sample. Should be #1. All production went to seed. Starbuck. Lighter soil. With rain should have been 60.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                            with huge breasts.
                            Any sisters?

Comment

6 Billion to Quebec

Sask drought zero

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                                Kevin Hursh Quote August 5th, Western Producer:

"Crop Insurance is going to be the first line of defense. This may sound insensitive, but producers not enrolled in crop insurance have no one to blame except themselves. The same is true for Agristability. The program has many flaws, but this is the magnitude of disaster where the program will kick in for many producers facing a serious income shortfall"

I agree with most of the above statement.. SCIC will never make you rich but it should cover your variable costs. Agristability is terribly flawed but it did work for our farm when we had a wet disaster in 2016. Do I enjoy paying the premiums for either programs? No but they do help me sleep at night and get to the next year.

There are also other private insurance options, hopefully they have the $$ to back this seasons payouts, that I think more people should of looked at. If you knew your moisture reserve was low and had read some summer forecasts this spring (drew was calling for dry summer) I'd have been booking a phone call with GARS. These farms are big businesses and if they can't cashflow itself during high(er) risk periods then additional insurance is needed so that a guy can try again another year.

Not trying to be insensitive to any producers suffering, but I don't enjoy paying $70k+ a year on SCIC, or hail insurance or agristability anymore than the next guy. I do it because it makes business sense.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...