• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What buried treasures have you found doing field work?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	8DF5A9CE-5C3F-4E6F-B6F1-E8EC16018F90.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	771198[ATTACH]8099don't have a clue but I think the Indians drank rickards red.

Comment

The disk in the middle is 2 inches perfectly round, I’m told it’s a fossil but I don’t know.

Comment

Found half a potato....petrified. It's an area beside the yard that my grandmother once had a garden.

Comment

Originally posted by TSIPP View Post
          The disk in the middle is 2 inches perfectly round, I’m told it’s a fossil but I don’t know.
          Based on the input on any number of posters on here, could it be the missing link?

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
            Based on the input on any number of posters on here, could it be the missing link?
            Some of the posters on this site should be buried treasures....

Comment

Amazing what the points on a drill pick up. I find lots of horse shoes, harness rings, evevner hooks, old chain. I have found things I've lost, have a set of harrows with some dumb connecting links that fall off, have found them again, also found a piece off the sprayer I lost last year. Not sure how it caught them but last year got a claw hammer and this year a set of pliers. It's the only way I can convince the kids to ride with me is the anticipation of snagging something.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
                I'm still looking for the missing link, so I can connect all these short broken chains that I keep finding with the drill.

Are you suggesting that Chuck might actually be good for something after all?
                Seems like a stretch, pardon the pun.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                  I'm still looking for the missing link, so I can connect all these short broken chains that I keep finding with the drill.

Are you suggesting that Chuck might actually be good for something after all?
                  Seems like a stretch, pardon the pun.
                  To avoid squelching the hint of hope in your question, I shall refrain from answering it.

Therefore, the link will remain missing unless you make your own connections with the useless fragments you've collected.

Comment

Had a Bourgault drill that broke a shank every 200 acres for a while. Still finding odd one.

Comment

Found a 12 pt buck skeleton one spring. Lots and lots of pot plants, watering cans, etc

Comment

I just realized that I was dishonest in my post. I did find two valuable tools/parts I'd lost this year.

Nephew is picking roots still, and said he found a jack. Coincidentally, when I unhooked the air seeder I found I was missing the jack. Had no idea where to look, since last confirmed sighting was when I got stuck about 10 quarters ago and the hired help put the jack back on. It somehow stayed on for 6 more quarters before falling off. Might have been snagged by a root judging by where it was found.

But even more amazing, we lost the big Milwaukee cordless impact with a brand new battery.
                        I was tightening a loose gang in the field and used the impact to tighten the lock bolt. Handed it to the operator, who took a bunch of tools and walked to the tractor while I crawled out from under the disc. We both looked around for tools, I walked away, then turned back thinking I should take the impact in case I need it, then decided he probably wanted to keep it in case it came loose again. When I took over in the evening, the impact wasn't in the tractor or toolbox, asked the operator if he had it, no. He asked if that was why I had started to come back to the tractor earlier...( sometimes I should listen to myself).
                        This is a Wishek disc at 1100 pounds per foot, it splits stumps, crushes roots etc. No match for a plastic impact. Deep mostly peat moss soil. Not much hope, except maybe salvage the battery or parts, if it shows up. Walked and quaded around the most likely areas, nothing. Harrowed, no sign of it, seeded watching like a hawk, no sign of it. Bought another since I am lost without it.
                        Son rolled the field after a good rain, and found it with barely a scratch, far far from where it was last seen, by a sharp drainage ditch. Must have fell off with the disc not in the ground, while crossing the ditch.

Comment

abf5, love to hear a good luck story.

sawfly's post about finding a well reminded me that I once did the same.

Taking corn off for a chap on a farm that had been cropped for decades.

The bin filled up before I got to the headland to unload so I was motoring along as fast as I could with a full tank.

All of a sudden - BOOM - one wheel sank almost to the axle, big singles, and it spun the combine in a part circle before it climbed out of the crater and then the back wheel skimmed it too.

Corn sprayed off the top of the tank for about 20 feet across the field.

It's a wonder that it didn't snap an axle off, and that machine had 8" axle extensions too.

Turns out it was an old dug well that someone had covered with boards of some sort and that was the day it was rediscovered.

Comment

Not while working the field, but on the way to the field: a carved stone peace pipe and a sawed off shotgun. Yup.

And in the field, hammer stones and flint arrows. Pars

Comment

Originally posted by parsley View Post
                              Not while working the field, but on the way to the field: a carved stone peace pipe and a sawed off shotgun. Yup.

And in the field, hammer stones and flint arrows. Pars
                              Sounds like a bad neighborhood. Now and in the past...

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                                Sounds like a bad neighborhood. Now and in the past...

I was kinda thinking too - quite a pair to find together -Peace pipe and sawed-off shotgun. Speak softly and carry a big stick?

One or the other - you're gonna take a puff.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...