• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barley

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saudi's not talking to Canada.

China not talking to Australia

World trade patterns not necessarily logical or well thought-out due to political agenda's and egos.

Comment

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post
      Saudi's not talking to Canada.

China not talking to Australia

World trade patterns not necessarily logical or well thought-out due to political agenda's and egos.
      Yet I heard recently that Saudi Arabia is buying dehydrated corn silage from Olds in Central Alberta. Doesn't seem like the most energy or cost efficient method, or location.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
        Yet I heard recently that Saudi Arabia is buying dehydrated corn silage from Olds in Central Alberta. Doesn't seem like the most energy or cost efficient method, or location.
        Not sure how well that is going. From driving by it appears the silage pit they made in 2019 is still full plus 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
          Not sure how well that is going. From driving by it appears the silage pit they made in 2019 is still full plus 2020.
          How could they possibly compete with corn silage from, almost anywhere else on the globe? Couldn't hardly get further from port. All the gas and electricity and diesel fuel getting it trucked in and dehydrated, and trucked or railed out will include the CO2 taxes. Not exactly the heart of corn country, even for silage, our season is of questionable length, frozen corn, or corn with no ears, or corn under snow are not issues that Iowa regularly deals with.

Comment

They can’t need that much corn silage if the area around Olds can supply what they need. I don’t think I’ve seen half a dozen corn fields put up as silage around there. Unless they’re all west of town..... doubtful 😂

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              How could they possibly compete with corn silage from, almost anywhere else on the globe? Couldn't hardly get further from port. All the gas and electricity and diesel fuel getting it trucked in and dehydrated, and trucked or railed out will include the CO2 taxes. Not exactly the heart of corn country, even for silage, our season is of questionable length, frozen corn, or corn with no ears, or corn under snow are not issues that Iowa regularly deals with.
              They have the connections and the logistics in place from the export hay they do. From what I understand the starch levels were too low from the last 2 summers, was talk about mixing grain corn in, not really sure how they are making out. If anyone can do it they can.

There is a competitor in southern Ab been doing it for a few years now.

Blaithin there were lots of acres in 19, less in 20 around Olds as contract growers, fairly lucrative deal for the landowners if they can make a go of it.

Comment

There is a big pile under tarp at the plant. Been there for a year or two. I wondered what they were going to do with it.

Comment

Take it for what it’s worth but a G3 guy told me Canada didn’t ship a bunch of barley to Saudi Arabia to begin with. I’m not growing any more barley than last year. All it takes is China to quit buying. Enough wheat canola guys jumping in so market will be flooded. Hope if anything oat acres sacrificed.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...