• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mask-Social Distancing

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RTK View Post
    What are the odds of me dying of one of the following;

1. Drug overdose
    2. Car accident
    3. Plane crash
    4. Farm accident
    5. Cancer
    6. Heart attack
    7. Stroke
    8. Back country ski or hiking adventures
    9. Ocean adventure
    10. Hunting Accident
    11. Homicide
    12. Boating accident

I think I scared myself, I am no longer going to do anything that might have a risk associated with it... I am officially just sitting at home eating and drinking because I see no risk to that plan. I think I can get steaks delivered and hopefully a 40 of spiced rum a day can be sent... ah nothing to worry about... oh wait... nope I see no risk.
    Just think of how many more would die from each of these if any of these were as contagious as Covid BTW RTK, since you seem to be equating the deaths from these to COVID, if someone you know falls victime these, what are the risks to your health?
    Last edited by dmlfarmer; Jan 16, 2021, 21:54.

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
      Only double time??? might work for some RNs but what about housekeeping, maintanence, and low paid aides? And most are women that have families at home that they will have to leave for 2 weeks at a time requiring child care. Maybe if you paid them the wages paid to oilfield camp workers which will be way more than double time you might get some takers. Oh, and I had no idea that retirement homes have that many empty beds that they could house not only residents but all staff needed as well. No wonder if costs so much for elderly care when so much space is not being used.
      dml, please be reminded that $400B was spent.

For perspective, thats enough money to buy out every hotel in the country and house our elder residents and associated care workers in 5 star luxury with room service 3 times a day. Thats enough to pay every low wage care worker enough money so they dont have to work 2 jobs. Thats enough money for every person in home care to have their own personal caretaker, butler, chef and valet and doctor. Thats enough money to build 100 new hospitals in the country. Any announced? Should I go on?

You have a total failure of imagination of how resources can be put to work if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
        That is a great question. I don’t know the answer. But the powers that be should be working out an answer.

If we’re locked down, may as well have the staff living in the homes with the older folks? Pay them WELL for the short term, to be isolated? Double time for them would be a smaller price to pay IMO than this ridiculous whole society shutdown for nothing.
        It does seem that most homes are doing quite well in keeping the virus out. Kudos to the staff.
        Back on Jan 6 a news item stated that in 2020, of the 65 deaths in care homes, 41 were from one single home in Regina. A very sad outcome. https://globalnews.ca/news/7558980/saskatchewan-covid19-long-term-care-deaths/ https://globalnews.ca/news/7558980/saskatchewan-covid19-long-term-care-deaths/

It cannot be overlooked that 58% of deaths in 2020 were suffered by those outside of a care home setting.
        And all occurred while there were some or lots of restrictions. It can only be guessed how many there might have been with no restrictions, but it would be reasonable to think it would be higher.
        The reports that there is virtually no flu detected indicates that covid is highly contagious.

Sk Health says there was 51,241 people over 80 in the province in 2020. The great majority of these people do not live in care homes.
        So far of the 899 people over 80 that have had covid, 120 have died. That's 13.35%. And since death is a trailing statistic there are, sadly, likely more among the ill that will not make it.
        It would not be proper to impress that statistic on the total population over 80 but still it would seem reasonable to think that anyone over 80 would need to be very careful if independent or be receiving the very best care if they are being looked after in a care home or outside of one.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
          nonsense , is it ? https://thefederalist.com/2021/01/13/media-are-accusing-a-republican-lawmaker-of-insurrection-for-quoting-nancy-pelosi/ https://thefederalist.com/2021/01/13/media-are-accusing-a-republican-lawmaker-of-insurrection-for-quoting-nancy-pelosi/
          Welcome to the band.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
            It cannot be overlooked that 58% of deaths in 2020 were suffered by those outside of a care home setting..
            101, that does not mesh with the recent covid stats. The govts own data shows this is overwhelmingly in care homes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Er0cFJnXAAIa-2h.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	770683

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
              Welcome to the band.
              thats all you got , what a *** waste of time

Comment

Sheep wheat - I don’t have the answer but 2 weeks in two weeks out, rapid testing before entry - not sure of accuracy, but obviously if we report test results publicly we must be able to test accurately. I mean surely the government only reports accurately.
                just for interest sake
                elon musk took 4 tests in a day , 2 were positive , 2 were negative
                its right on Ctv , but prob fake news , right ?

Comment

DML - you completely missed my point and tried to twist it.

Covid-19 is real - if people want to safeguard themselves they can... lock and isolate themselves from society with enough supplies for the next year, to be safe have enough supplies to last your lifetime in case we never get through this virus. Maybe have a radio with you so you can make a judgment as to whether or not it is safe to emerge, but how can you really be sure it is safe?

Life is risky, some take more risks than others, I make risk assessments every day in my daily life - risk vs reward.

I have not been to Costco since last February but pickup parts at a local ag dealer... each place could put me at risk... but one place I see as a necessary risk and my reward is I have a social interaction and now have the parts I need to prepare for spring. I can tell my wife I visited with so and so and we have something to talk about.

If my 90 year old neighbours needed something from Costco I would head in and get it for them... once again perhaps a risk but I would take that risk so they don’t have too...

There is a risk to everything, I could be skiing and stopped on the hill and another skier could run into me and injure me... I guess to avoid that risk I should have my own ski hill... oh wait should I hire ski patrol because I could fall and have no one realized I am hurt and die from exposure?

Once again I am safer eating steak, drinking rum and watching Netflix... no risk there...

Comment

Ah maybe the RUM, risky?

Comment

FJLIP - can’t see any risk there - can you see any issue drinking a forty a day? Diet Coke with aspartame - as mix for safety. Coke with sugar can’t be good for me and I read tap water may contain Covid...

I just read that red meat may kill me - I will have UBER grocery’s deliver Cheetos instead... safety first.
                      Last edited by RTK; Jan 17, 2021, 12:19.

Comment

i don't think you will have any problems
                        the good doctor tams just said to limit alcohol
                        sounds like you are doing your part

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                          Yea you might get a free test in mail, but results will be none of your business
                          Really case, you just can't quit spreading BS can you!

From brochure about the Brochure - Canadian COVID-19 Antibody and Health Survey (CCAHS)
                          https://www.statcan.gc.ca/eng/survey/household/5339/brochure https://www.statcan.gc.ca/eng/survey/household/5339/brochure
                          "What are the benefits of participating in this survey?
                          Your participation will help in further understanding the impact of COVID-19. The results will help indicate how many people have been infected with COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2), including those who may not have had related symptoms. Also, you will receive your test results once they are available."

Comment

we shall see about that

Comment

DML - you completely missed my point and tried to twist it.

Covid-19 is real - if people want to safeguard themselves they can... lock and isolate themselves from society with enough supplies for the next year, to be safe have enough supplies to last your lifetime in case we never get through this virus. Maybe have a radio with you so you can make a judgment as to whether or not it is safe to emerge, but how can you really be sure it is safe?

Life is risky, some take more risks than others, I make risk assessments every day in my daily life - risk vs reward.

I have not been to Costco since last February but pickup parts at a local ag dealer... each place could put me at risk... but one place I see as a necessary risk and my reward is I have a social interaction and now have the parts I need to prepare for spring. I can tell my wife I visited with so and so and we have something to talk about.

If my 90 year old neighbours needed something from Costco I would head in and get it for them... once again perhaps a risk but I would take that risk so they don’t have too...

There is a risk to everything, I could be skiing and stopped on the hill and another skier could run into me and injure me... I guess to avoid that risk I should have my own ski hill... oh wait should I hire ski patrol because I could fall and have no one realized I am hurt and die from exposure?

Once again I am safer eating steak, drinking rum and watching Netflix... no risk there...
                              No, I get your point, but the risk of all the things you mention are only to yourself. None are contagious like Covid is. You have much more control over all of these risks to yourself. But at the same time anyone with Covid who does not think it is a risk to themselves and chooses to go out in public while sick is exposing everyone use to a greater risk of contacting it. Making the risk worse is the fact transmission can happen from asymtomatic carriers. No one likes to be locked down, including vulnerable senior citizens yet there are people who won't even follow the most basic risk reduction strategy like wearing a mask so cases increase, and lockdowns are put in place to prevent overloading the health care system which may be needed for treatments other than Covid - like the heart attack victim.

Comment

I find it fascinating that the primary reason for opposing lockdowns on this site seem to be economic. There have been repeated calls for protection of the vulnerable and letting the rest of society be free of any Covid reduction strategies. I am intrigued by the thought process that some feel you should not be restricted at all yet suggest a viable alternative to protect vulnerable (ie elderly in nursing homes, hospitals???) would be to have all staff working at retirements homes completely locked in the facilities 24 hours a day for , during a 2 week, 12 hour everyday work shift. And people think health care workers would be happy to do this for the right amount of money.

A number of posters say they have spouses, children, spouses of children, or other family members working in health care. So I am wondering what wage you think would justify that health care worker in your family to accept complete isolation and be restricted to the workplace for a 2 week, 12 hour a day shift? Consider not only the person being gone from the household, but that if they have children they would need 2 week child care arrangements. Consider that some of these people also play a significant role in your farm operations, from physical work to managing the books and would be unavailable for 2 weeks at a time. And consider their social cost of being away from children, family, and everyone except other workers and those in their care for 2 weeks at a time.

Seriously, what wage would need to be paid to get someone in your family to do this or would anyone even be willing to do this or have an immediate family member do this - if labor laws could even be changed to allow such a shift?
                                Last edited by dmlfarmer; Jan 17, 2021, 13:06.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...