• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My quad thread got me thinking

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought my first land before I graduated high school in 76.Married in 84 and had a young family going through the 80s.Most of my school classmates left the farm to work in the city.Drought years had us take on another farm around Swan Plain. Funny thing about that time tha drought broke and farming 1000 acres 200 miles away was done.Was cautious in the 80s cause I was farming for money not with money and had a young family.Established purebred herd of cattle and was gone for a month every fall showing cattle.When we dispersed our cattle they sold to 5 provinces and 6 states.The cattle kept us going.Always believed someday the land was going to go up enough to make the hardships worth while
    .would have been nice to expand along the way but would have
    a hardship and just wanted to pay for on what I already had.one time I bought a quarter banker told me if I got if free it does not pencil out.watched the direction Alberta was going and thought it would soon happen in sask once our population started to grow.People bring money money brings people is what I believed.Getting time now to slow down and market my life investments of dirt.

Comment

How many yung-uns remember a “stone boat”? Its kinda like a pontoon boat. 😂

Comment

I’m a’47 model, rode my pony to school, showed him at the fair, raced him at the fair. Rode on the JD “D” with Dad till I was able to harrow with it, wooden drawbar, moved ‘em with a Farmhand on a Farmal “H”. I miss swimming in the little river runs by our house and riding the horses with Dad in the evenings, and cigarettes. Still trying to farm 160 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
          I’ve never heard of catch and release with gophers.

Obviously before my time but what’s with collecting the birds feet?
          Would you kill off your breeding herd ??? Feet was a bounty think 6/7cents per pair, Fish and game I think, That was in county of red deer dont know if other counties had a bounty or not.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
            i remember shovelling cow shit onto one

Comment

Dad broke a few teams of horses every winter so I spent many days feeding square bales off a stone boat behind a team of horses, and that was until I left home in mid 90's.

Was fun though, wish I could do it with him again!

Comment

Picking rocks pulled by a fordson major 50 years ago.

Comment

I remember cleaning out the barn with one. We also used one for feeding the cows in winter. Those memories are hard to forget!

Comment

Stone boat we would load shit on it and take out to the field with jdM and shovel it off.

Comment

Or a "manure" sleigh...We had same JD M! Kept it in barn so it started in winter...

And those steel shovels never broke, aluminum broke/bent many. Still have one from the 60's.

First 4WD was a Case 2470, 1974, wow big time power. 29' Morris DT. That was one WET bitch of a spring, only a 4 wd would not get stuck. Barely harrowed to dry out fields. Buried Morris many times till we added the second set of wheels in main frame.
                      Last edited by fjlip; Nov 30, 2020, 18:12.

Comment

We called it the shit coupe.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                          Picking rocks pulled by a fordson major 50 years ago.
                          We got one of the first Degelman rockpickers 1968, on a JD 2010, the earliest spring ever here, March 18 I stayed home from school to use that fantastic invention on dry enough fields, in a snowmobile suit, and enjoyed it.

Comment

How about riding all day behind the home made square bale stooker in 80-90 temperatures. Always hoped for a side wind to keep the dust out of your eyes.

Hell of a work out!

Comment

My Dad did the bale stooker dusty itchy job, I got to run the 730 JD, at 15 baling around wet sloughs, stressed about getting stuck plugging old IHC # 45. It missed so many ties, I wrote "butter fingers" on the twine box!

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                                We got one of the first Degelman rockpickers 1968, on a JD 2010, the earliest spring ever here, March 18 I stayed home from school to use that fantastic invention on dry enough fields, in a snowmobile suit, and enjoyed it.
                                Way to go. We were all enjoying a really good thread, nothing political, nothing contentious. Then you went and brought up climate change.
                                Now alarms will go off in chucks basement, And he will spring into action Posting a red and pink map disproving Your earliest spring ever claim , and the entire thread will degenerate from there.
                                Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Nov 30, 2020, 19:47.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...