• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

" This year it cost hundreds and probably billions as an industry, all because we are the industries bitch." I said the same a while ago... billions potential never happened.

Comment

Just saw this year old article. And thought his timing was interesting given how the canola market has gone since then. Probably made out very well with feed barley this year nonetheless.

https://calgaryherald.com/commodities/agriculture/why-one-of-albertas-biggest-canola-farmers-turned-his-back-on-the-cinderella-crop/wcm/62e38a48-79f1-4ae0-9c5b-a7304a77e4a1/ https://calgaryherald.com/commodities/agriculture/why-one-of-albertas-biggest-canola-farmers-turned-his-back-on-the-cinderella-crop/wcm/62e38a48-79f1-4ae0-9c5b-a7304a77e4a1/

Kevin Serfas from Serfas Farms, near Turin, Alberta, has got out of growing canola because of bad weather and trade disputes and has switched to barley.
      The last paragraph is interesting also. I would have thought that a farm that size would be telling the bank how it is going to be, not vice versa, but I could be reading it wrong.

As they say, run when everyone else is walking, and walk when they are running. I'm suspecting everyone and their dog will be wall to wall canola next year, and soybeans in the rest of the world. The opportunities probably lie in other crops now.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
        If it would of Rained in July out here

I'd be having a record year !
        Ifs and buts ...
        if it never hailed here we would be the same
        Next year they say lol

Comment

You hear wall to wall canola but no shortage of canola seed. I don’t know about anyone else but last couple years canola yields have been disappointing compared to previous years. It pays decent but costs lots too. There’s other options that will make money, and that’s a good thing. Who knows if the crap stays at $13. I already grow enough canola and really am pondering that last 100 acres in something other than canola.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
            If it would of Rained in July out here

I'd be having a record year !
            If it had rained in July you would be looking at $12.00 canola, certainly not $18.00 canola.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
              You hear wall to wall canola but no shortage of canola seed. I don’t know about anyone else but last couple years canola yields have been disappointing compared to previous years. It pays decent but costs lots too. There’s other options that will make money, and that’s a good thing. Who knows if the crap stays at $13. I already grow enough canola and really am pondering that last 100 acres in something other than canola.
              There will be no wall to wall canola
              Other crops may be paying just as well next fall . There is very little switching going on , but some like you say .
              1. Still dry ish in a huge area .
              2. Barley prices next fall a decent
              3. Yellow pea prices next fall are decent
              4. Oat prices next fall are decent
              5. Fertilizer has shot way up to to switch acres now to canola is iffy at best when looking at other crops
              6. Pho’s very hard to even find .

The last time canola acres were very high was when all other commodities were terrible and fertilizer was still reasonably priced and readily available.... not the case this year .

Comment

Can someone tell me why our canadian retailers are not bringing in supplies from Russia or Morocco since canada has no tariffs or duties on those supplies like were just imposed by the US to give Mosaic a monopoly on the NorthAmerican phosphate market...

AND why the phuck are farm groups not all over this.

Collusion and Gouging at one time were illegal not celebrated.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                  There will be no wall to wall canola
                  Other crops may be paying just as well next fall . There is very little switching going on , but some like you say . .
                  Our canola acres will be up a little this yr and our pulse acres down. if inputs go stupid this yr, we will lean heavier on lentils next yr.

Comment

Shaken the trees again the last couple days.

Below is an interesting chart though, Euronext MATIF exchange. MAY ****seed.

https://www.barchart.com/futures/quotes/XRK21/overview https://www.barchart.com/futures/quotes/XRK21/overview

More gappy than MAY ICE,,, fatigue?

https://www.barchart.com/futures/quotes/RSK21/overview https://www.barchart.com/futures/quotes/RSK21/overview

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                      Can someone tell me why our canadian retailers are not bringing in supplies from Russia or Morocco since canada has no tariffs or duties on those supplies like were just imposed by the US to give Mosaic a monopoly on the NorthAmerican phosphate market...

Genisis(FNA) is supposed to have a big announcement near the end of the month

Comment

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
                        Genisis(FNA) is supposed to have a big announcement near the end of the month
                        Are they looking to do another membership drive, by announcing plans to build Genisis again.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post

We work with a specialty fertilizer company who has been importing fertilizer for years and they say there is little to no logistics capacity left to bring in fertilizers. Containers or bulk vessels.

Comment

Originally posted by dustnbones View Post
                            We work with a specialty fertilizer company who has been importing fertilizer for years and they say there is little to no logistics capacity left to bring in fertilizers. Containers or bulk vessels.
                            It sounds like we live in the Middle Ages and the issue of delivery cannot be resolved in any way. It seems to me, or is the government doing its best to harm the farmers?

Comment

Nothing to see here folks.

Comment

WTF AF5 ?
                                You can’t post this kinda stuff

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...