• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coronavirus response can ‘reshape the future of energy,’ IEA says in annual report

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you read the report summary you will see that the number the IMF uses includes the environmental and health cost of fossil fuels.

Pollution and environmental costs are real you just don't pay for them when you buy fossil fuels but you pay for them in other ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
      Interestingly enough you still haven’t told me what it cost to install and how much government subsidy you received. I can however extrapolate that if your cost of electricity was 8 cents a kwh and you based it on a lifetime of 25 years the cost of your system was $70000 dollars or $2 an installed watt. Still doesn’t tell me how many tax dollars were used to subsidize your installation. Also ground mount or roof mount? Do you change the angle spring and fall?
      Ground mount, fixed. Includes all the costs of installation. $70 k is close ( need to check the invoice) rebate was around $15k i believe. But Saskpower gets the carbon credits if any are assigned for the lifetime of the system. So the rebate is in effect paying for some of the carbon credits but not sure what value to attach to those.

It was a deal because if it is 8 or 10 cents per kwh I have locked in cheaper electricity for many years. Remember Saskpower rates are rising about 3% per year on average so the rates I pay will be maybe half the Sask Power cost in year 20.

If you are concerned about the rebate, remember farms using crop insurance have 1/2 their premium paid every year by taxpayers. Plus get a matching deposit for their Agri Invest.

Also many farmers got subsidies for GPS, direct Seeding boots , double walled fuel tanks, watering systems etc. under the Environmental farm programs across the country.
      Last edited by chuckChuck; Oct 14, 2020, 08:46.

Comment

Hey hamloc where did you go? I thought you were in a hurry to get the numbers? It seemed so urgent! I guess not!

Comment

You guys(and girls) aren't doing av very good job of ignoring Chuck, already onto the second page.
          I can't make agriville great again all alone.
          Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Oct 14, 2020, 12:20.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
            Ground mount, fixed. Includes all the costs of installation. $70 k is close ( need to check the invoice) rebate was around $15k i believe. But Saskpower gets the carbon credits if any are assigned for the lifetime of the system. So the rebate is in effect paying for some of the carbon credits but not sure what value to attach to those.

It was a deal because if it is 8 or 10 cents per kwh I have locked in cheaper electricity for many years. Remember Saskpower rates are rising about 3% per year on average so the rates I pay will be maybe half the Sask Power cost in year 20.

If you are concerned about the rebate, remember farms using crop insurance have 1/2 their premium paid every year by taxpayers. Plus get a matching deposit for their Agri Invest.

Also many farmers got subsidies for GPS, direct Seeding boots , double walled fuel tanks, watering systems etc. under the Environmental farm programs across the country.
            That 1/2 of the premium goes right back into the government coffers because the premium is double what it should be for the service and coverage they provide . Most farms collect maybe partial coverage once a decade or 2 at best . That’s the rest of the story on crop insurance in case people don’t get it .

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              You guys(and girls) aren't doing av very good job of ignoring Chuck, already onto the second page.
              I can't make agriville great again all alone.
              What’s wrong? Don’t like discussing actual numbers and facts? It’s funny Klause’s Very positive post on solar didn’t seem to be a problem for you. You going to ignore the IEA, Bloomberg and all the other independent organizations who are forecasting that solar will become an important part of electrical generation in many parts of the world? Already is in many. It seems like your arguments against solar are falling apart and that is why you want to ignore me? LOL

Comment

You certainly are an impatient chap lol, I had a very busy day yesterday and had no time to respond.

Just a couple of questions, was the $70000 net before or after the rebate? When I priced it out it was $2.50 a watt for a roof mount and another $.60 a watt for ground mount but that was in early 2019 if memory serves correct. At that time there was a provincial rebate of up to I believe $.60 a watt but only for a grid tie system, no rebate was available if you wanted batteries to go off grid. As I have said before the numbers don’t work in Alberta because you can only get payed for the power generation part of your bill which maxes out at 6.9 cents a kwh right now, I am sure that will rise in the future. At 6.9 cents a kwh that is $2415 a year, that would take 29 years to pay off the initial investment.

As for subsidies that farmers receive, how do they compare to farmers in the United States or in the EU? Far less I am sure and yet we have to compete with them on world markets.

Comment

You certainly are an impatient chap lol, I had a very busy day yesterday and had no time to respond.

Just a couple of questions, was the $70000 net before or after the rebate? When I priced it out it was $2.50 a watt for a roof mount and another $.60 a watt for ground mount but that was in early 2019 if memory serves correct. At that time there was a provincial rebate of up to I believe $.60 a watt but only for a grid tie system, no rebate was available if you wanted batteries to go off grid. As I have said before the numbers don’t work in Alberta because you can only get payed for the power generation part of your bill which maxes out at 6.9 cents a kwh right now, I am sure that will rise in the future. At 6.9 cents a kwh that is $2415 a year, that would take 29 years to pay off the initial investment.

As for subsidies that farmers receive, how do they compare to farmers in the United States or in the EU? Far less I am sure and yet we have to compete with them on world markets.
                  I went looking for my solar file yesterday but it is missing. But i will find it.

The 70 k is before the rebate. Your price quote is simalar to what I paid for a ground mount.

And the agreement I have with Sask power is much more favorable than the new plan they put in place.

Ground mount is better if you want to clean the snow off.

No doubt our ag subsidies are lower. But we still receive subsidies. Just like solar which has had its subsidies reduced substantially in Saskatchewan.

Comment

I went looking for my solar file yesterday but it is missing. But i will find it.

The 70 k is before the rebate. Your price quote is simalar to what I paid for a ground mount.

And the agreement I have with Sask power is much more favorable than the new plan they put in place.

Ground mount is better if you want to clean the snow off.

No doubt our ag subsidies are lower. But we still receive subsidies. Just like solar which has had its subsidies reduced substantially in Saskatchewan.
                    Lol , you should be a politician.... mmmm the dog ate my lunch

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                      Lol , you should be a politician.... mmmm the dog ate my lunch
                      You beat me to it. I was going to say the dog ate my lunch.

Comment

Bad news! I found the file. I guess my memory is not so far off. LOL

Full cost installed $73,228.00 not including GST.
                        Saskpower Rebate : $15,097.00 - 61 cents per watt

Current Saskpower Standard Rate Farm for First 16,000 Kwh per month is 12.658 cents/kwh plus 0.5711 cents for carbon tax .13229 cents per kwh. Over 16000 kwh add 5.488 cents/kwh. basic monthly charge $34.97

Farm Irrigation costs 7.078 cents per kwh

35000 kwh per year on average produced at a value of .12658 cents per kwh - annual value $4430.00

Factors to consider:
                        3% average annual Saskpower rate increases
                        Lost Opportunity Costs
                        Declining output loss
                        Maintenance, repair, replacement
                        Accelerated depreciation
                        Lifespan

Do the math boys and girls!

What's the value of the electricity produced by this solar system over it's lifetime?

Comment

Bad news! I found the file. I guess my memory is not so far off. LOL

Full cost installed $73,228.00 not including GST.
                          Saskpower Rebate : $15,097.00 - 61 cents per watt

Current Saskpower Standard Rate Farm for First 16,000 Kwh per month is 12.658 cents/kwh plus 0.5711 cents for carbon tax .13229 cents per kwh. Over 16000 kwh add 5.488 cents/kwh. basic monthly charge $34.97

Farm Irrigation costs 7.078 cents per kwh

35000 kwh per year on average produced at a value of .12658 cents per kwh - annual value $4430.00

Factors to consider:
                          3% average annual Saskpower rate increases
                          Lost Opportunity Costs
                          Declining output loss
                          Maintenance, repair, replacement
                          Accelerated depreciation
                          Lifespan

Do the math boys and girls!

What's the value of the electricity produced by this solar system over it's lifetime?
                          Almost twice what it would be in Alberta LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                            Only an complete moron would come on to an ag forum and say Farmers are subsidized after justine just gave all his buddies billions and billions of subsidies !

Your a ****ing idiot !

We don't take a dime if we don't earn it Way out Here !
                            Someone will provide you with the list.

Comment

Almost twice what it would be in Alberta LOL!
                              Twice what? Try to be a little more specific otherwise we don't know what you are talking about.
                              Last edited by chuckChuck; Oct 15, 2020, 13:20.

Comment

Twice what? Try to be a little more specific otherwise we don't know what you are talking about.
                                Chuck2 you asked what the value of the electricity was over the lifetime of the system. I said the electricity in Saskatchewan is worth almost twice as much as it would be in Alberta as far as what a person would be payed. Not that hard to figure out if you read my previous posts LOL!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...